Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start Up Business

Options
  • 24-10-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I just need clarification on an issue.I'm setting up a company with my partner and we're wondering do we need to have a qualified Accountant to prepare our accounts.

I'm a qualified Tax technician and I have years of accounting practice. I was planning on preparing the accounts myself and getting them audited every year by external Auditors.

It this ok to do?A friend mentioned the accounts can only be prepared by registered accountant by Law, but I don't know about this.I'm sure business people with no accountant expetience have prepared their own accounts before?

Any feedback would be great!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It depends on whether you plan on registering as sole trader/partnership and whether or not your turnover will exceed a certain amount (off hand I think accounts have to be signed off by an accountant when you hit 1.2m a year). Normally I would suggest that you may actually save money using an accountant but given you experience that seems less likely to be the case.

I currently do the accounts myself and Revenue have no problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 butterfly555

jimmii wrote: »
    It depends on whether you plan on registering as sole trader/partnership and whether or not your turnover will exceed a certain amount (off hand I think accounts have to be signed off by an accountant when you hit 1.2m a year). Normally I would suggest that you may actually save money using an accountant but given you experience that seems less likely to be the case.

I currently do the accounts myself and Revenue have no problem with this.

Thanks Jimmii .
    Its a private limited company.I'l do the accounts myself so!!
    Thanks again for your response.I'm a bit nervous setting out on our own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

A good "book-keeper" can legitimately save you a lot on tax etc.

if the accounts are simple enough, their bill should be small and the savings large.

I had bad advice which cost me a fortune during one year. Never year I got a bona fide book-keeper to make my tax returns and literally saved thousands.

Good luck with the venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Assuming you will qualify as a small company, your company will be audit exempt and you can prepare and submit your own accounts to Revenue and CRO.

Advertisement