Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Ark collecting in town beware

• 24-10-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

A group known as animal ark are collecting around the city at the moment,,they claim to give money to local animal rescue groups etc but are not connected in any way to giving money,,they are supposed to sell scrtch cards only but no prize money is ever awarded,it all goes to their salaries.
    They are not connected in any way to LIMERICK ANIMAL WELFARE or ISPCA so dont be fooled into giving them anything. Check out limerick animal welfare facebook page for more detailed info.
    If you want to donate money or goods for LAW please give it at the shop on Parnell street.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

some claim, evidence would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's very obvious from the way that the Animal Ark guys are portraying themselves and the materials that they use, that they are trying to pass themselves off as being associated with Limerick Animal Welfare and they do it very well. Most people would believe that they are directly supporting LAW. It's disgraceful that Ark have been allowed to get away with this, not only in Limerick, as they're at it all over the country taking money that people believe is all going directly to local animal welfare.

They are standing up without a table, holding a collection box and that looks like a typical LAW collection, as is the direct intention behind it. If people want to buy a scratch card from Ark that's one thing, but people are handing these guys money thinking that it's going to LAW. Not only is it not going to LAW, the Ark guys aren't even lawfully allowed to accept donations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

flutered wrote: »

firstly they are not a registered charity but have permits from the gardai to collect,,,LAW themselves are warning people about them,,read their fb page for better info,,,ark are conning people into thinking that the moneys goes to local animal rescue groups,,,they were in Navan yesterday.....the proof is there if you care to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

flutered wrote: »

Well known scammers. They have a licence to sell scratch cards but use it collect money. They are often collecting many days is row in Limerick, permits for are not issued that way.

Please give money directly to Limerick Animal Welfare if you want to be sure where it goes.

The local charities will tell you they receive nothing from this crowd so what happens the money they collect? They don't run any sanctuaries. Looks to me like they give some token donation to some shelters around Ireland but no information in how much they collect goes to help animals.

They never respond to queries on these lines on social media, just delete the comments.

+1 one that Just to remind people that every cent given to LAW goes straight to the running of the sactuary for food heating vets etc.......give to the shop on parnell st,,you will get a reciept/ they need extra funds this time of year for heating food etc and are appealing for funds for this. with halloween coming please keep your eyes open for cats or dogs who might fall victim to young thugs who do terrible things to animals. if you find a cat or dog that looks like its lost injured or strayed call LAW or bring the animal to john o dwyer small animal hospital on henry street,,they will contact law who will pick it up and check for id tag or chipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Posted this elsewhere on Boards:

FWIW, the business name "Animal Ark" (reg no 43348) was a partnership formed on 21/02/2011 with activities listed as "WELFARE OF ANIMALS, SUPPORT LOCAL ANIMAL GROUPS", this group ceased trading on 01/07/2014.

On 23/07/2014 a new name was registered as "Animal Ark Ireland" (reg no 522429) by an individual with activities listed as "CHARITY NOT FOR PROFIT"

While it is a legit business name, it is NOT a limited company. I don't know anything else about them....... (other than their addresses, which I'm not going to post here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

the had two dubs collecting on cruises street today, as far as i could acertain no one gave them anything.

Limerick animal welfare have an online petition on their facebook page to the guards trying to stop them getting permission to collect,,,,please take the time to sign it.
    maybe the message is getting out and people are wise to whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dirtydiana

As a volunteer for animal ark I've seen them helping places in dublin and out of dublin. I have had people screaming down th3 phone at me and shputing things that as volunteer should not have to hear. I have seen th3 permits and they are entitled to work 24/7/365 anywhere they want. They have had charities which they support but now them charities have
    Been abused by other charities and have left animal ark leaving us to find new organisations to support. Animal ark have decided to keep who they support more discreet from now on. And as for the money filling the pockets of the managers that Chinese whispers and big BS because the shop is struggling thanks to the abuse from the likes of Paws and LAW. Please get the score sheet right and stop calling th3 shop to shout at me. Im nly a volunteer.

Yours sincerely
    Dirty diana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I've read about this bunch a lot over the past year. They even called to my house once, they regularly go door to door.

I understand your frustration Dirty Diana but for all these organisations to pull out of wanting help from animal ark surely should set alarm bells ringing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

dirtydiana wrote: »
    As a volunteer for animal ark I've seen them helping places in dublin and out of dublin. I have had people screaming down th3 phone at me and shputing things that as volunteer should not have to hear. I have seen th3 permits and they are entitled to work 24/7/365 anywhere they want. They have had charities which they support but now them charities have
    Been abused by other charities and have left animal ark leaving us to find new organisations to support. Animal ark have decided to keep who they support more discreet from now on. And as for the money filling the pockets of the managers that Chinese whispers and big BS because the shop is struggling thanks to the abuse from the likes of Paws and LAW. Please get the score sheet right and stop calling th3 shop to shout at me. Im nly a volunteer.

Yours sincerely
    Dirty diana

Either you have been mislead by Animal Ark or you are attempting to mislead others, I'm not sure which. Firstly, most rescues in Ireland are really struggling to raise funds and as much as they struggle they do NOT venture into different counties to collect money that could go to rescues in that county, i.e. you won't find LAW collecting anywhere in Clare and vice versa.

Secondly, Animal Ark deliberately make themselves appear connected with local rescue in order to fool people into donating money believing it is going to their local charity.

Thirdly, the licence is to sell scratch cards, not to collect donations, which they clearly do on a daily basis. Animal Ark is a scam that people are waking up to, at last and hopefully the word will spread far and wide meaning that not a cent will be raised by Animal Ark and that you will cease to exist. If you want to volunteer then you really ought to find a genuine charity to volunteer with.

I had a look at the Animal Ark site today and I've noticed that they are now trying to wriggle out of things by offering to ALLOW other rescues to sell their scratch cards. Truly shameful behaviour by shameless scam artists. As for being more discreet about what rescues they will support in the future don't make me laugh, Animal Ark aren't supporting rescue, nobody knows where the money is going.

Dirty Diane why dont you join LAW if you are limerick based,or another worthwhile animal rescue centre in your area,,people are copping on to ark and thats why some charities have pulled out,,,your genuine concern could be put to much better use elsewhere,,,,and as a volunteer you should not have to put up with abure over the phone from anyone......LAW and others are not telling lies,just informing the public so the money goes to where its needed.

I'd question dirtydiana's bona fide given it is a first post, I would question this person is genuine (I could be wrong of course). If it is genuine some points need to be addressed:
    but now them charities have been abused by other charities leaving us to find new organisations to support. Animal ark have decided to keep who they support more discreet from now on.

Honestly, you are donating money to charities and the other charities are 'abusing' them because of this?? On what planet would this actually happen?? Bully charities picking on other charities? If you are 'looking for organisations to support' would it not be easier to join one of these existing organisations and fund raise that way??

I don't know many people who support an organisation who have to be 'discreet' about where their money goes.. once again that is ludicrous.

No reply to the point that the scratch card licence is NOT a licence to collect money I notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Animal Ark are now collecting in Dundalk on a weekly basis. All the biggest animal charity and welfare groups in Louth have stated that they do not get any funding from Animal Ark. In the first instance they should not be collecting in a county where they do not support any charities.

The volunteers in questions have been asked what charities they do support and have not been able to answer.

They are license only for selling scratch cards but always have a bucket front and centre and hide the scratch cards in the hand. They never ever ask if you want to buy a scratchcard they jus task you to support Animal Ark. Again they hide the scratchcards and put the bucket out front.

Animal Ark are breaking the law for charity collections on a grand scale. They should be investigated from the bottom up by the Gardai.

They get around, they are mentioned in the the Cork forum as well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89766534

Lets just hope word gets around and people don't make the mistake of donating to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

They are in Kilkenny every day outside Market X and The Post office, especially on pension day.

Advertisement