Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VISA Help

Options
  • 24-10-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

I may have secured a job in the states. The job will handle my visa application however they will only look to enusre my visa is processed. The job is a secure job for me but the thing is I dont know how to go about working to get my girlfriend a visa.

We have been together for 5 years living with each other 4 years can any one advise on what we should be looking to do?

Should she apply for a visa directly on her own?
    If so which visa should she look for?
    Should she look for a sponsored job in the same area as me?
    Is there a visa that automatically allow the spouse in to the country in either a working or non working capacity?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You first need to find out what visa you will be travelling on; many work visas allow legally married spouses to travel with, but few allow the spouse to work. Would you consider marrying or is that off the table?

If there is a chance your girlfriend can get a work visa of her own, that would definitely be the easiest option. Otherwise, she can apply for a B2 visa- usually used for tourists, but can also be used for non-married couples for the partner to visit for up to 6 months, but cannot work.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ste1605

Hi - thank you for the reply.

I will be most likely traveling on the H1B visa.

Marrying here would be an option though I dont think it will be an option in the next couple of months just to secure a visa.

The B2 visa - can this be renewed concurrently or will she need to return homw afte the 6 months?

Whist in that 6 months could she look to get an employer to sponosr here for work?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ste1605 wrote: »

Marrying here would be an option though I dont think it will be an option in the next couple of months just to secure a visa.

The B2 visa - can this be renewed concurrently or will she need to return homw afte the 6 months?

Whist in that 6 months could she look to get an employer to sponosr here for work?

AFAIK, no, legally you can't look for work with B2. Also your girlfriend will have to show that she intends on leaving the US at some stage in the future. The B2 in your case is designed to make life easier while you are in the US so that they can visit for extended periods, as opposed to a stepping-stone to working/living in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ste1605 wrote: »

My partner has an O1 visa and I am here on a B2 for cohabiting partners visa. My partners company sorted that out and also a visa for our daughter so maybe you could ask them about that?

I can't work or even apply for things like a local id, driving license or social security number which is a pain. So far I have visited home before the 6 months is up so it is automatically renewed. They did say that it can be extended while still being in the US but I don't know how to go about that. When I went to Ireland without my boyfriend, on the way back going through immigration in Dublin I was brought back into a room for further grilling. They wanted to know why I was traveling on that visa and I had to supply all my boyfriends details and prove that I wasn't an illegal immigrant. So basically its a hassle all around!

As far as applying for a job goes I'm not sure she would even get an interview while she is on a b visa. If a company was willing to pay for her visa she would probably have to leave the country while the new visa is processed.

It's easier just to get married, that's what we are doing. (We were already engaged so it's not solely for visa purposes!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Unfortunately, the H1 category is one of the most restrictive ones.

The spouse of someone on that category can work, as long as there is a green card application in process for them (a lot of companies use the H1 visa as a bridging visa while the permanent residency is processed)

Unfortunately for your partner, there is nothing that will allow her to come and work as a dependent visa to you, even in the short->medium term. If you were married, she could come in but would be unable to get a SS card but could get a drivers license and go to college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement