Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca Cola not sold on campus? Why?

Options
  • 24-10-2014 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

I noticed that they sell coke nowhere on campus...it's all Pepsi and Pepsi max. I often wondered why. Is there a specific reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I remember hearing ages ago that the SU voted to ban it due to the way the company treat their employees in South America. It's the same in Trinity AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

robman60 wrote: »
    I remember hearing ages ago that the SU voted to ban it due to the way the company treat their employees in South America. It's the same in Trinity AFAIK.

Thanks for the reply. :) It was something I was always curious about. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Yeah, it was years ago, 2003 - Coca Cola where implicated in the murder of South American employees. The ban was actually voted on and overturned in 2010. However, UCD did a campus-wide exclusive deal with some drinks supplier which means that only their range is supplied, and Coca Cola isn't one of the drinks they supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

If you are looking for coke on campus though, you can get it in the AgSoc tea shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

If you are looking for coke on campus though, you can get it in the AgSoc tea shop!

On the ground floor? I usually just get cheap tea and coffee there. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Yeah, it was years ago, 2003 - Coca Cola where implicated in the murder of South American employees. The ban was actually voted on and overturned in 2010. However, UCD did a campus-wide exclusive deal with some drinks supplier which means that only their range is supplied, and Coca Cola isn't one of the drinks they supply.

Yup, as soon as the ban was overturned by the SU, the college itself signed into a fairly lucrative exclusivity deal with Britvic. I remember the joy of being able to buy Coke on campus again being squashed fairly quickly by this deal :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

That's actually excellent, that they boycotted coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I haaaaate the drinks they sell in college!!!

They used to sell my favourite in the SU shop - Snapple but that was gone at the end of last year and all there is is that CRAP green tea shyte.

I hate Club Orange, 7Up and Pepsi, I only like Coke, Sprite and Fanta. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I haaaaate the drinks they sell in college!!!

They used to sell my favourite in the SU shop - Snapple but that was gone at the end of last year and all there is is that CRAP green tea shyte.

I hate Club Orange, 7Up and Pepsi, I only like Coke, Sprite and Fanta. :mad:

Club lemon is available everywhere though. That makes me very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Trinity campus shops have an excellent range of soft drinks...including Coca Cola!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Pepsi tastes like piss. Thats my contribution to this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Riamfada wrote: »
    Pepsi tastes like piss. Thats my contribution to this thread.

You've obviously tested both to make that statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I feel old that I remember the voting for that! Had they to hold voting twice or did the SU at the time ban something else?
    Didn't bother me too much, anything went with vodka in the student bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You've obviously tested both to make that statement!

Ive done the blindfold test in a stuffy asian back street market with a revolver .

Club lemon is available everywhere though. That makes me very happy.

That actually makes me happy too, and I LOVE Rock Shandy, but for some reason, Club Orange itself is like poison to me. I think it's the bits. I NEED MY FANTA. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Begbie (smoking and drinking): No way would I poison my body with that ****e, all they ****ing chemicals, no ****ing way!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

I would like to be able to buy coke on campus...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NervousGremlin

Despite all the club orange and club lemon, rockshandy is very scarce. Scarce enough to make me want to drop out of college.
    Also extremely random but has anyone else noticed how impossible it is to get your hands on cranberry juice in UCD? The SU shop only started selling it recently and I really like cranberry juice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

What are ya on your period?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NervousGremlin

What are ya on your period?

If I was there would be full on tears and shouting over the lack of cranberry juice rather than mild irritation.
    Seriously though the amount of weird vitamin juices in strange colours in UCD and we don't even get coke. I'm going to start a petition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

If I was there would be full on tears and shouting over the lack of cranberry juice rather than mild irritation.
    Seriously though the amount of weird vitamin juices in strange colours in UCD and we don't even get coke. I'm going to start a petition

I agree ,the amount of different coloured vitamin juices they have and i can't get a can of coke! i have to source my coke from outside ucd,terrible! haha i would be the first person to sign your petition :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The vit hit drinks from the shop under the library are gorgeous. Esp when they've been in the fridge and are freezing.

Those vitamin waters are a joke! Hate seeing them all over the place.

Advertisement