Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 40k a year enough for one to live comfortably and even save money in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If I'm going to share, it may as well be with my family for cheaper :) - I don't have any friends to share with, and why share with random people when I can just stay with parents and save more money?

I'd be of the same opinion, but I'd still look for places at around 1000 to save yourself the 200 pm for a rough example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

In fairness I think most people would manage quite well on my salary, it's just my ****ed up head. I feel incredibly jealous looking at all the apartments and houses I pass by for hours every day on the bus. How can you afford that, why can't I? Are you paying the market rent or do you have some kind of legacy agreement or social welfare deal? It's not fair that you get to live here and I still have another 45 minutes to get to where I live. How the **** is everyone in Dublin so rich- do I not deserve to live here? Do I not belong? Where do my coworkers live? They call their wifes and say they will be home in 20 minutes(and they cycle), how is that possible? Why is it only me and one other person who needs to take a bus, the rest seem to be in walking and cycle distance. Why do people pay €1200 a month to live a couple of meters above a street full of drunks and puke? . etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In fairness I think most people would manage quite well on my salary, it's just my ****ed up head. I feel incredibly jealous looking at all the apartments and houses I pass by for hours every day on the bus. How can you afford that, why can't I? Are you paying the market rent or do you have some kind of legacy agreement or social welfare deal? It's not fair that you get to live here and I still have another 45 minutes to get to where I live. How the **** is everyone in Dublin so rich- do I not deserve to live here? Do I not belong? Where do my coworkers live? They call their wifes and say they will be home in 20 minutes(and they cycle), how is that possible? Why is it only me and one other person who needs to take a bus, the rest seem to be in walking and cycle distance. Why do people pay €1200 a month to live a couple of meters above a street full of drunks and puke? . etc.
    Your priority seems to be your bank balance and that is your choice. Other people will choose their quality of life or extra leisure time over the size of their bank balance at the end of the month. Everyone's priorities are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If I'm going to share, it may as well be with my family for cheaper :) - I don't have any friends to share with, and why share with random people when I can just stay with parents and save more money?

Everyone else in Continental Europe shares with random people and get on with life. €1200 a month for rent on your salary is extremely bad financial management. You are literally wasting €550 a month that you could save with a house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

switch to 48mobile and pay 10er per month...

http://48months.ie/membership-plans

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your rent seems very high for a place that's 45-1hr commute.

Either get a house share or move, and 8euro per day on lunch is crazy.

That budget is speculative, it is not my current one- I live with my parents and pay €400. But living an hour away(it is not even close to 45mins even with zero traffic, don't make me ****ing laugh) doesn't make rent any lower you know. This is less than a minute from where I live and is €1200. It would be minimum €1000 to live here if I was seriously trying to do so.

I am not actually in the market for moving- I am living with my parents and I don't want to share, so I'll just wait until I make enough money to have the quality of life I want.

How is that amount for lunch crazy? A wrap(€4), a bottle of orange juice(€1.99) and a chocolate bar(€1.20) is €7.19 exactly. It is unavoidable without cooking something myself and bringing it in(which I am not comfortable doing).

Piriz wrote: »
    switch to 48mobile and pay 10er per month...

http://48months.ie/membership-plans

I'm on a contract so I can't.

hfallada wrote: »
    Everyone else in Continental Europe shares with random people and get on with life. €1200 a month for rent on your salary is extremely bad financial management. You are literally wasting €550 a month that you could save with a house share.

I'M NOT SPENDING THAT MUCH, IT IS MY SPECULATIVE BUDGET FOR IF I WAS TO MOVE OUT.

Good for people in Continental Europe, what has that got to do with me. I can't speak their languages or get a job there. Seriously why would you even bring it up, what relevance does it have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I'M NOT SPENDING THAT MUCH, IT IS MY SPECULATIVE BUDGET FOR IF I WAS TO MOVE OUT.

Good for people in Continental Europe, what has that got to do with me. I can't speak their languages or get a job there.

relax! people are trying to advise you...stop getting pissed off!

Don't want advice. Just frustrated and not right in the head. Angry at myself for not doing any meaningful work this week because I pissed time away on sites like this all day, scared I'll be punished and then have no income at all. Just leave me alone(and don't try tell me to go to the pissing PI forum or post some sentimental crap)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I know plenty of people living in Dublin and none of them are earning even near 40k a year, most are recent grads or out of college a bit longer and while they aren't living the dream they get by just fine.

Different people have different spending habits and what qualifies as a comfortable or decent life style also differs from person to person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It is unavoidable without cooking something myself and bringing it in(which I am not comfortable doing).

???

Have homemade sandwiches become a mortification when my back was turned?
    Pre-bought supermarket multipack juice and chokkies will save you a bomb too, if you opt for them over Spar lunchtime purchases. You're looking to save, without being willing to save on the easy stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Don't want advice. Just frustrated and not right in the head. Angry at myself for not doing any meaningful work this week because I pissed time away on sites like this all day, scared I'll be punished and then have no income at all. Just leave me alone(and don't try tell me to go to the pissing PI forum or post some sentimental crap)

I know you don't want advice, but, if you're still reading dude, take a break from sites like this during work if you're worried. Even go as far to ask IT to block them on your machine and keep the head down for a few months. They will understand. Ask you folks if they'd let you live for free for a while and try and build up a war chest for moving out. I know it's hard to take advice when it looks like people (in a much more comfortable position) are preaching, most mean well and some of the advice is good.

Best of luck, hope you get sorted soon.

I wouldn't say "wasting" or bad financial advice, a lot of people don't want to live with other people. I'd happily use the majority of my salary on rent to have my own place!

True enough, I'm an adult, I'm not gonna be living with some randomers. In other countries there are blocks of apartments bigger than anything we have, all single apartments. So it's not exactly unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Good for people in Continental Europe, what has that got to do with me. I can't speak their languages or get a job there. Seriously why would you even bring it up, what relevance does it have

Because its the norm there and Ireland is moving closer to a more continental European society. Like the way no one in Ireland really lived in apartments 30 years ago in Ireland. But it was the norm in Germany. But know most people in Dublin city now Ireland in apartments.

I cant understand how Irish people still believe sharing is only for broke students

Why do you say it is the norm there, where there are blocks of flats with hundreds of single user apartments in continental cities? It's the same, people want to live on their own everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I wouldn't say "wasting" or bad financial advice, a lot of people don't want to live with other people. I'd happily use the majority of my salary on rent to have my own place!

They wouldn't even need to live with others to save money. There is no need to be spending that much money, even if you want to live by yourself. A couple of minutes on Daft, will turn up plenty of perfectly acceptable one bedroom apts, in the 800/850 euro price range.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/the-cresent-larchill-santry-dublin/1502980/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/the-gravel-walk-court-52-blackhall-place-dublin-7-dublin/1503717/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/gandon-close-harolds-cross-rd-harolds-cross-dublin/1500841/

If you are spending 1200 quid on rent for a one bed room apt, odds are it is very close to town, or it is somewhere that is a bit 'posh.' If the poster is willing to do what most people do & live somewhere a bit further out, or a bit more ordinary, they can keep the extra 400 quid in their pocket every month.

It's all well and good if you can afford 1200 a month on rent, and not miss the money. But if you are having trouble making ends meet, or you can't save, then surely you need to rethink where you live and why you live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you are spending 1200 quid on rent for a one bed room apt,

The link the OP gave is to a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in Ongar. I've no idea why he wants a 2 bed, but his inflexibility is his downfall.

I have a good friend who lives comfortably on 40k, paying a mortgage, single parent, runs a car. Doesn't go nuts eating out, and often brings in lunch or microwaves soup. Has a good social life - but then it's not all about drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I know the account is closed now but the other thing from his budget was 1200 on rent and 100 for transport. If you are tight for money live close enough to work to cycle / walk and save that 100 a month. 1200 should get you a 1 bed in almost any part of the city

Also saving 400 / 500 a month isn't living paycheck to paycheck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The link the OP gave is to a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in Ongar. I've no idea why he wants a 2 bed, but his inflexibility is his downfall.

I have a good friend who lives comfortably on 40k, paying a mortgage, single parent, runs a car. Doesn't go nuts eating out, and often brings in lunch or microwaves soup. Has a good social life - but then it's not all about drinking.

Yeah, but the post below is the one that I took his sums from.

I guess I am doing something wrong, I am on 36k(above the average industrial wage, so this should be liveable?) and have tried to make the maths work, and can't. It's about 2200 net a month. Take 1200 from that for a 1 bed apartment, maybe 400 to put in savings, 100 for a bus ticket, then food an entertainment and you are living paycheck-to-paycheck with not enough(personally) wiggle room on money.

I think it really only works if you are sharing and thus can keep your accommodation cost down in the 700-900 range.

327641.png

1,200 is living in the city centre of money. It is a crazy amount of money to be spending on rent, if you want to live by yourself, but you still want to have a decent quality of life, as well as be able to save a bit. It's the main reason why most of us live in the dull as ditch water suburbs.

If you live in town and you work in town, then you shouldn't be needing to spend 100e a month on buses. You should be able to walk to work. So that is 1,200e a years saved on bus fares.

If you work out in the suburbs, then live out in the suburbs & pay cheaper non town rents.

If you work in town, then live out in the suburbs anyway, like most people do. You still have to pay bus fare, but you don't have to pay city centre rental prices.

If you are on a relatively modest income, you can't live by yourself in the middle of the city, or in an expensive neighbourhood, AND have a really good quality of life AND save, all at the same. It just can't be done. Something, somewhere is going to have to give.

And that's not even starting on the nearly 2000 quid a year he is spending on lunches (160 per month x 12 is 1920) which could be cut drastically, if he brought a packed lunch from home instead.

There is a basic logic to all this, that seems to be escaping the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

True enough, I'm an adult, I'm not gonna be living with some randomers. In other countries there are blocks of apartments bigger than anything we have, all single apartments. So it's not exactly unique.

I'd rather pay half the rent and pocket the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, but the post below is the one that I took his sums from.

Apologies to the OP!

Thread got a bit hijacked by another, now closed, account, who actually diagnosed his problem himself. Anyway, I guess he'll be having a think about it, he did seem angry at himself, so I hope he gets on ok. Good luck to you, if you're still reading this thread. - we can all think ourselves into corners and I've done it myself.

Advertisement