Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

glendalough visitor car park

• 24-10-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Can you park here overnight? Is it safe to leave the car there.

Thanks
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WildCamping.html

"Please Note: Camping is not permitted, at all, in the valley of Glendalough. This rule is vigorously enforced, and campers will be moved on. Visitors arriving in Glendalough with a tent should be aware that they will need to walk for at least 3 hours before they can find a site that complies with the Wild Camping code."

The NPWS rangers are very vigilant and you'll find it near impossible to wild camp near Glendalough.

http://www.glendalough.ie/accommodation/caravanning-campinng-parks/

There are no serviced campsites near Glendalough either. You can contact the parks service to ask of locations close-by where wild camping is permitted.

If you decide to base yourself out of Glendalough for the weekend for example and hike, the better idea would be to leave your car at the hotel (ask nicely and they'll let you) and make sure they know you won't be back for it for a couple of days or else the mountain rescue might be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

theres loads of nice places to camp in wicklow.its just leaving the car somewere safe where it wont be vandalised or robbed.

im aware of no camping in the valley of glendalough.as you said im looking for a base where i could start from and the car left safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

We used to do over night hikes around that area and always parked in the hotel car park up near the round tower. Never had a problem and the car would often be there 8 hours or more at night

cheers folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

old thread but just thought I'd add to it. I Parked in the visitors centre car park and let the guys know that I was doing an overnight camp , I gave them my reg. in case they might get worried that someone hadnt come off the mountain that day. Its a good alternative if you didnt feel comfortable using the Hotel one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote:
    old thread but just thought I'd add to it. I Parked in the visitors centre car park and let the guys know that I was doing an overnight camp , I gave them my reg. in case they might get worried that someone hadnt come off the mountain that day. Its a good alternative if you didnt feel comfortable using the Hotel one

So I presume car was in one piece when you came back...sounds ok so

markc2951 wrote: »
    So I presume car was in one piece when you came back...sounds ok so

I usually go camping on a friday,I reckon most of the scrotes are out getting hammered that night, usually gone by Sat lunchtime as they are waking up :pac:
    I reckon its much safer then the usual forest parking spots just because of the amount of cars there during the day.
    During the winter I normally just park out on the street in front of the hotel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote:
    I usually go camping on a friday,I reckon most of the scrotes are out getting hammered that night, usually gone by Sat lunchtime as they are waking up I reckon its much safer then the usual forest parking spots just because of the amount of cars there during the day. During the winter I normally just park out on the street in front of the hotel

Not sure where I can camp tho..I was thinking glendalough on the right hand side trail (miner track ) way up the bank and throw up a hammock..no fire..or maybe on the left trail where the railway sleepers are..walk to the top and fins a spot...

The rangers will be finished around 5 or 6 so if I arrive late I may be ok..One meal on the stove and then hit the sack up and gone around 7am..

What do you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WildCamping.html

"Please Note: Camping is not permitted, at all, in the valley of Glendalough. This rule is vigorously enforced, and campers will be moved on. Visitors arriving in Glendalough with a tent should be aware that they will need to walk for at least 3 hours before they can find a site that complies with the Wild Camping code."

The NPWS rangers are very vigilant and you'll find it near impossible to wild camp near Glendalough.

Except there are loads of places in Glendalough which are not in the national park, and the rangers can't move you on from there. Such as the Coillte land south of the green road.

markc2951 wrote: »
    Not sure where I can camp tho..I was thinking glendalough on the right hand side trail (miner track ) way up the bank and throw up a hammock..no fire..or maybe on the left trail where the railway sleepers are..walk to the top and fins a spot...

The rangers will be finished around 5 or 6 so if I arrive late I may be ok..One meal on the stove and then hit the sack up and gone around 7am..

What do you think

dont worry about it, I translate their rules as dont take the p1ss and camp near the visitors centre.:pac: . the miner track is a good one , go about 40 minutes beyond the ruins , sets you up for any of the peaks next day if starting late. Same with the Spink , go about 20 minutes beyond it, obviously not suitable for hammock. On the other side the track up to Camaderry has plenty of spots along the way
    Last weekend I actually camped on top of Camaderry but it was actually difficult enough to find a flat and comfortable spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Except there are loads of places in Glendalough which are not in the national park, and the rangers can't move you on from there. Such as the Coillte land south of the green road.

sorry for bumping an old thread but can anyone clarify which Coillte lands in the valley allow respectful wild camping?

thanks in advance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You've got to be walking for a minimum of an hour. We've done it and still been moved on by the rangers. So it has to be very remote or very stealthy.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You've got to be walking for a minimum of an hour. We've done it and still been moved on by the rangers. So it has to be very remote or very stealthy.

thanks for the response to this zombie thread:D

i can be very very very stealthy when called for.

sorry for the lazy question now but any chance of a rough grid ref or google maps location. ?

i have been in the monastary and loughs of glendalough but i never crossed into a collite site as far as i recall:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On the osi map, about half way between where it says Derrybawn and Lugduff. Very roughly here http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,709823,695360,8,3

We weren't being too stealthy and being April didn't expect to see too many people about. We think we got ratted out by some horse riders as they could see over the tree coverage and into the camp!

thanks a million we be plenty of info to get myself into a safe new spot and i have a very light foot which helps :-)

Advertisement