Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Rugs

Options
  • 24-10-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

It's almost that time of year - trying to be prepared! I have an Amigo Lightweight and a Weatherbeeta Mediumweight - now looking for a Heavyweight (350g+ ideally) that won't break the bank.

The Amigo lightweight was ripped on its second adventure (gave it the benefit of the doubt as it IS a lightweight) but the Weatherbeeta has been super in terms of durability - 1200D with an adventurous roller/explorer has been very beneficial!

Been looking at Heavyweight Full Necks now and hoping to get something for less than €150 (if I could go less than €100 would be ideal) - would love a Horseware of course, but I don't want to compromise on the ballistics of the rug for price.

I found a great Shires Tempest Rug on Orchard Equestrian for €75 and it didn't have leg straps :( Plus it's a bit on the light side.

I also found the heavyweight version of the mediumweight rug I currently have - has anyone got one, is the lack of gussets an issue?

This rug in TRI is great value but I'd be concerned about only being 600D?

Edit: Spotted this rug in TRI which looks to have good specs - 1600D 400g. €115 but would I better to invest it into a Horseware/Masta if one exists for that price?

What do people think of the Celtic Equine rugs?

Any tips/advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Following! Just waiting for 5 rugs to come back from Rug Hub to see if they were rescued! Rugs are vital & a big investment so it's always disappointing if they under perform I have various brands - the Celtic Equine has been fine though that particular horse is a very careful owner whereas no matter how expensive/cheap/straps/buckles etc the rug is our little pony destroys it!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Its the wrong time of the year to get good rugs at good prices really!

I'll never buy anything other then Premier Equine now. I don't really like the look of their newest styles however :(, my rugs are in perfect nick and don't need replacing yet I'm sad I won't be able to buy the exact same one again!!!

If you subscribe to their mailing list, they have regular sales and discounted prices, even mid season, both my heavyweights I got for less then €120 and you just can't beat them for hardiness. My 200g I paid about €60 for, and you wouldn't buy a good quality no fill here for that.

I would actually find it difficult to buy their rugs at face value, because their sale prices are so good :p

They run really deep though so they won't suit every horse.

Weatherbeeta are the only other brand that can match them for durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

The Mackey equestrian lugnaquilla is an amazing rug that for me has weathered the storm of literally every winter for a big draught horse who lives out for past 8 yrs and had about 4 small repairs.
    I' got it off season for 40 euro the best purchas. Ever ..

TThey are similar to weatherbeeta.

I've bought a second as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have Mackey, premier equine and Celtic equine rugs. I normally go to premier equine first but the other brands are also decent. Would prefer Celtic equine slightly over Mackey.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

They have 20% off heavyweight rugs until midnight tonight, the cheapest 450g with neck works out €140 with free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks for the tips guys, I ended up going for the Turfmasters Typhoon - it's discounted to €92 at the moment and the denier and weight looks great. I have a few of the Turfmasters Stable rugs already, along with some of their other products, and find them good value and durable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

TRI have a rug sale at present if anyone else is thinking of investing. If people haven't heard of them, I can give a huge thumbs up to "Bossy's Bibs" to prevent rug rub. My little fat cob spends so much time with his nose to the ground eating, any rug rubs his chest. The bib slips and slides so it stops the rubbing. (And no, I am not being paid to plug them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

I was in TRI today, and bought two rambo supreme turnouts, down from 350 to 239, + cash account discount brought it down to 210 euro, I have some of these from when the model came out first 6 or 7 years ago and those ones have outlasted every other rug I have bought, and believe me I have tried everything from Masta and premier equine to turfmaster and mackey. Best value rug on the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Keep an eye on rideaway.co.uk they seem to do a 20% off rugs several times a year.

My boy has mostly weatherbeeta rugs as they fit him well.

He has an amigo medium weight stable rug and hood and that was warm enough for him last winter, I think I will just get an under rug for that in case temp drops a lot in mid winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Orchard Equestrian are always very good value for rugs - I got my Amigo Lightweight and Weatherbeeta Mediumweight for half the price they normally retail at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

Quagga Rugs are also really great value and super quality. They come with a detachable neck as standard and have a super dry lining. They wont break the bank either but I would highly recommend them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I have a shires stormcheeta and I like that one its a good tough outer shell and is really warm i use it alone and with a horsewear duvet under in bad weather.

Had a berneys rug but the horse ripped it and after repairing it I dont find it brilliant.

I have a quagga travel rug that I love. Havent bought the outdoor ones as personally i hate the detachable liners malarkey i'd rather just have a heavyweight rug and layer the horse wear duvet rugs under them as needed.

Derby house do rugs and while I hated their customer service I cannot fault the rugs i got from them which were very well finished and lasted ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I have a quagga travel rug that I love. Havent bought the outdoor ones as personally i hate the detachable liners malarkey i'd rather just have a heavyweight rug and layer the horse wear duvet rugs under them as needed.

I have to say I didn't buy and detachable liners and only use the outdoor as it - have used in in Winter on clipped horses and never any bother - suppose it just depends on your horse at the end of the day :)

Advertisement