Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 on the Late Late

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

You idiots - the last government took private debt (from greedy banks) and lumped onto YOUR national debt which YOU will pay back in YOUR taxes for the rest of YOUR life and you are more concerned with Bono's tax affairs! :D
    The current government has supported and continued this ludicrous policy.
    Wake up you fools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

To be fair - they can still knock out a tune in a live setting, but likely many of their recent efforts the latest album has been over-produced imo. It just sounds kinda synthetic to me. Which, given their ability, seems odd that they would fall into that trap so many times.

So true. I downloaded the album and deleted it. Hearing the songs live made me appreciate them but why not an acoustic album? Larry can make the tea. Adam can hit middle c on the keyboard when the edge needs a hand. Keep him busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Jumboman wrote: »
    Bono does write most of U2 songs so I would say bono is about 80% of U2.

Not in terms of tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Tall poppy syndrome alive and well in Ireland. U2 are a great bunch of lads.
    I bet if any of the begrudgers on here actually met Bono, they would be fawning all over him.
    It's hilarious. No matter how many times people prove the "Begrudgery" cat-call wrong, it's still - I'd say involuntarily - just thrown out. :)
    People are addicted to saying it I'd say. :pac:

You idiots - the last government took private debt (from greedy banks) and lumped onto YOUR national debt which YOU will pay back in YOUR taxes for the rest of YOUR life and you are more concerned with Bono's tax affairs! :D
    Wake up you fools!
    People can't be concerned with both...? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Nodin wrote: »
    *cough

*choke

Might want to take something for that mate.

Wake up you fools!

How much was that again? Was it the guts of 60 billion euro?

€60,000,000,000?

Distracted Fools!

People can't be concerned with both...? :confused:

Stupid people can be yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Their dealings with the DDDA stench too.

It's hilarious. No matter how many times people prove the "Begrudgery" cat-call wrong, it's still - I'd say involuntarily - just thrown out. :)
    People are addicted to saying it I'd say. :pac:

Sorry I never read the memo that begrudgery was proved wrong and in any case I shout "Objection Your Honour", it's begrudgery of the highest form! :D

• Advertisement

Stupid people can be yes.
    You decided to make up that people are more concerned with U2's tax affairs than the bank bailout (bizarre conclusion).
    I said people can actually be critical of both (and are highly likely to be more critical of the bank bailout than U2's tax affairs), it doesn't have to be one or the other. And you respond with the above? Oh dear...

You decided to make up that people are more concerned with U2's tax affairs than the bank bailout (bizarre conclusion).
    I said people can actually be critical of both (and are highly likely to be more critical of the bank bailout than U2's tax affairs), it doesn't have to be one or the other. And you respond with the above? Oh dear...

;)

Sorry I never read the memo that begrudgery was proved wrong and in any case I shout "Objection Your Honour", it's begrudgery of the highest form! :D
    Well "begrudgery" is having a problem with someone because they have done well for themselves. If this was so "Irish" then "we" would all hate anyone ever who's successful... but we don't. The reason being: dislike of someone isn't always due to them being successful; there is a myriad of other reasons for dislike of a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There must be a term, like Godwin, that no matter what the subject or topic is, inevitably someone will bring up bankers / politicians / taxes / "Wake up" / "Sheeple" / etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

On behalf of the pub toilet walls of Ireland, I'd like to thank at least half the posters on this thread.

Their dealings with the DDDA stench too.

Jail Bono !!!

He is much too successful for us begrudgers! It has to be illegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

One thing Bono deserves praise for, is for supporting the Jubilee 2000 debt-relief campaign, for writing off third-world debt - but some of the NeoLiberal policies he supports in the third-world today, do harm enough to go back on this rather than good.

Someone who deserves far more praise/notability than Bono though, is Ann Pettifor, who co-founded the Jubilee 2000 campaign - it's people like her who deserve notability, who spearheaded debt-relief in the third world, and who are still at the fore of highlighting the problems of debt worldwide (including in the first-world) - yet it's attention-seeking twats like Bono, that gain all the notability, not people like Ann.

Well "begrudgery" is having a problem with someone because they have done well for themselves. If this was so "Irish" then "we" would all hate anyone ever who's successful... but we don't. The reason being: dislike of someone isn't always due to them being successful; there is a myriad of other reasons for dislike of a person.

ok

Duggy747 wrote: »
    There must be a term, like Godwin, that no matter what the subject or topic is, inevitably someone will bring up bankers / politicians / taxes / "Wake up" / "Sheeple" / etc
    And "begrudgers".

ok
    Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

"the difference between Ireland and America..in America, the guy sees the the big man in the mansion on the hill, and he says to himself 'one day, i'm gonna be that guy" but in Ireland, the guy sees the big man on the hill in the mansion and he says "one day, i'm gonna get that bastard" -Bono.

And Bono actually did say this and he's 100% right. We're a bunch of begrudging cvnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

david75 wrote: »
    "the difference between Ireland and America..in America, the guy sees the the big man in the mansion on the hill, and he says to himself 'one day, i'm gonna be that guy" but in Ireland, the guy sees the big man on the hill in the mansion and he says "one day, i'm gonna get that bastard" -Bono.

And Bono actually did say this and he's 100% right. We're a bunch of begrudging cvnts.

Speak for yourself, or Bono, whichever...

david75 wrote: »
    We're a bunch of begrudging cvnts.
    :D Speak for yourself with your "we".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I like U2. That is all.

Yes if a successful person ever does anything hypocritical or wrong, pointing that out is just begrudgery, and the hypocrisy magically becomes fake/imagined - simply because the person is successful, and successful people can do no wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

U2 should do a nirvana unplugged type album

mackg wrote: »
    I like U2. That is all.
    I like/love loads of their stuff, I don't hate Bono as much as some people do, I have no quibble with the rest of the band.

Yes if a successful person ever does anything hypocritical or wrong, pointing that out is just begrudgery, and the hypocrisy magically becomes fake/imagined - simply because the person is successful, and successful people can do no wrong :rolleyes:
    Forelock-tugging to our betters ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

One thing Bono deserves praise for, is for supporting the Jubilee 2000 debt-relief campaign, for writing off third-world debt - but some of the NeoLiberal policies he supports in the third-world today, do harm enough to go back on this rather than good.

Someone who deserves far more praise/notability than Bono though, is Ann Pettifor, who co-founded the Jubilee 2000 campaign - it's people like her who deserve notability, who spearheaded debt-relief in the third world, and who are still at the fore of highlighting the problems of debt worldwide (including in the first-world) - yet it's attention-seeking twats like Bono, that gain all the notability, not people like Ann.

Perhaps it's because he was well known already and tried to help therefore his name was bandied about more in connection with this. Does it make him an attention seeking twat because of it? Seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because he was well known already and tried to help therefore his name was bandied about more in connection with this. Does it make him an attention seeking twat because of it? Seemingly.

exactly, he gets notability because his fame allows him to reach and influence so many people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I like/love loads of their stuff, I don't hate Bono as much as some people do, I have no quibble with the rest of the band.

That's it. Nothing else really comes into play for me. Maybe Bono is a knob, who knows , I've managed to go my whole life without ever hearing him make speeches or anything. Only knowledge I have of it is other people complaining about it and that isn't going to spoil songs I like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I like/love U2 btw..

caustic 1 wrote: »
    That's a straw-man, as I never said he's an attention seeking twat because of his support of Jubilee 2000 - as you can see, I praised his role in that - he's an attention seeking twat besides that, and while he is the one who gains the notability, it's the people who did the actual real hard work of coming up with the idea, and then founding/organizing the campaign in the first place, who deserve far more notability than Bono.

Effectively, Bono owns a gigantic commercial marketing and political lobbying enterprise based on his image - and while he deserves credit for lending voice to important campaigns like Jubilee 2000, he doesn't deserve primarily notability for the overall campaign - that's a bit like extracting a 'reputational rent' (taking credit from other people), simply due to him owning a massive commercial marketing/lobbying enterprise, while barely putting in any of the work that these other people have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do you like attacking me?

What exactly is your issue with me?

I go onto after hours to have a laugh and read people opinions, Both humorous and serious, and it's really really annoying to see you drag so many threads off-topic with your bitter ramblings over your cancelled gigs. If it's effected your life that badly, save up and go see him abroad instead of posting your one-woman martyrdom in every thread that's vaguely about music/the government/wherever else you managed to fit it into.

(Apologies for the delay in replying, was in work all day.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

I see it's still fashionable to berate U2 for doing anything outside of the norm.

In fairness - if we really wanted to insult Bono; we just wouldn't buy his records

The irony of course - is their album was effectively a rootkit installed into iTunes. Similar to the Sony rootkit in 2005

en.wikipedia․org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Effectively, Bono owns a gigantic commercial marketing and political lobbying enterprise based on his image - and while he deserves credit for lending voice to important campaigns like Jubilee 2000, he doesn't deserve primarily notability for the overall campaign - that's a bit like extracting a 'reputational rent' (taking credit from other people), simply due to him owning a massive commercial marketing/lobbying enterprise, while barely putting in any of the work that these other people have done.

The bits in bold, twice...ah, what are you on about?
    Are you just saying he is famous?

He uses his fame as way to publicise causes. Get over it, its standard PR practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I go onto after hours to have a laugh and read people opinions, Both humorous and serious, and it's really really annoying to see you drag so many threads off-topic with your bitter ramblings over your cancelled gigs. If it's effected your life that badly, save up and go see him abroad instead of posting your one-woman martyrdom in every thread that's vaguely about music/the government/wherever else you managed to fit it into.

(Apologies for the delay in replying, was in work all day.)

Thing is, you attack me and my posts. Like I said, just in the s club 7 thread, there was a poster who made a comment before me about having them for 5 nights in croke park. Before me. And you attack me? How come not the poster who made the comment before me.

Within an hour of posting on this U2 thread, you were at it again. My original comment was not off topic. I was replying to someone else's post who was asking how come every other famous person doesn't get the same dislike as bono...I replied to that post saying that they're wrong there's one more but only disliked around croke park... See its not just bono that is disliked in this world.

Knock it off with me, and stop twisting my posts to suit yourself (I.e dragging posts of topic). It gets tiring being followed around and being attacked. You weren't the only one does it.

Thing is, you attack me and my posts. Like I said, just in the s club 7 thread, there was a poster who made a comment before me about having them for 5 nights in croke park. Before me. And you attack me? How come not the poster who made the comment before me.
    The poster before you made a joke that involved the words "croke park" and off you went on your little diatribe that had nothing to do with the topic.
    Within an hour of posting on this U2 thread, you were at it again. My original comment was not off topic. I was replying to someone else's post who was asking how come every other famous person doesn't get the same dislike as bono...I replied to that post saying that they're wrong there's one more but only disliked around croke park... See its not just bono that is disliked in this world.
    Again, fitting in your agenda, you know full well that plenty of people hate garth brooks, but any excuse to have a dig.
    Knock it off with me, and stop twisting my posts to suit yourself (I.e dragging posts of topic). It gets tiring being followed around and being attacked. You weren't the only one does it.

Does it happen to your posts where you don't go off on a mad one that has nothing to do with the topic?
    It's tiring wanting to relax and browse ah but seeing you fit garth brooks and your hateful ways into threads about s club 7/u2/irish water so i'm just gonna stick you on ignore, it's boring now.

The poster before you made a joke that involved the words "croke park" and off you went on your little diatribe that had nothing to do with the topic.

Again, fitting in your agenda, you know full well that plenty of people hate garth brooks, but any excuse to have a dig.

Does it happen to your posts where you don't go off on a mad one that has nothing to do with the topic?
    It's tiring wanting to relax and browse ah but seeing you fit garth brooks and your hateful ways into threads about s club 7/u2/irish water so i'm just gonna stick you on ignore, it's boring now.

Nothing stopping you from browsing away, but you have a dig at me at every opportunity you get. You were not the only person on boards who attack me and my posts and funny enough croke park residents also. Knock it off with me.

Was grabbing some lunch with a friend one day, when in sauntered bono and ali. Of course the staff waited on them hand and foot, While she was polite and all smiles, He sat there looking like someone had pissed on his ma, never even looked at the staff. Once the meal was over and someone at their table went up to pay (Not bruce springsteen), bono walked straight out without talking to anyone, while ali said goodbye to every member of staff. Just solidified my belief that he's a cnut.

• Advertisement

Was grabbing some lunch with a friend one day, when in sauntered bono and ali. Of course the staff waited on them hand and foot, While she was polite and all smiles, He sat there looking like someone had pissed on his ma, never even looked at the staff. Once the meal was over and someone at their table went up to pay (Not bruce springsteen), bono walked straight out without talking to anyone, while ali said goodbye to every member of staff. Just solidified my belief that he's a cnut.

You'll still buy a ticket or two.

You'll still buy a ticket or two.

If you put as much effort into jobhunting as you do reaction-hunting you could afford to go see garth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Bono May be a knob or dick or whatever you may like to call him but I still get chills up my spine when I hear "All I want is you". He seems to be a strong family man and is definitely very talented. He is a fantastic songwriter not only for U2 but for others such as Roy Orbison with Mystery Girl another song I love. It's great to see U2 still going strong.

This post says much more about you than Bono.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

For years U2 were my favourite band, then after Pop I swear to god it's like someone (or everyone...) in that band received a major brain injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What's the best example of Bono being a "knob"? I never followed U2, so I don't know much about them. Any interview or comments you can point to?

I don't care about the tax thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I'm not much of a fan of u2. I have two songs on my ipod from them and those being:
    One
    Christmas (baby, please come home).

That's it. I don't know much else about u2 or Bono and I don't have a hatred or a dislike towards them.

This post says much more about you than Bono.

It does doesn't it?

Paid for my own meal and was polite to the staff therefore i in that scenario was a better person than Bono.

Thanks for pointing it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

It does doesn't it?

Paid for my own meal and was polite to the staff therefore i in that scenario was a better person than Bono.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Bono would be a busy man and he's entitled to go for a meal and sit in peace and quite for a bit and if he's doesn't feel like talking to anyone, that's his business. Maybe he had a fcukload of things to think about and he wasn't in a talkative mood. It's happens.

Bono would be a busy man and he's entitled to go for a meal and sit in peace and quite for a bit and if he's doesn't feel like talking to anyone, that's his business. Maybe he had a fcukload of things to think about and he wasn't in a talkative mood. It's happens.

Agreed, However to not even have the decency to say please and thank you makes you a ****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement