Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail or gmail

Options
  • 25-10-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Which in your opinion is better and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deBop

I prefer Outlook (Hotmail) over Gmail. I prefer the GUI of Outlook over Gmail, I think it's a lot less cluttered and easier to use IMO.
    Google seems more "in your face" about adding different contact details, Google+ etc. as well and I just find that annoying.
    I don't think Microsoft scans your emails so they can target ads at you either, Google does.
    The feature set that comes with having an Outlook/Microsoft account is a lot more useful for me since it's more relevant to what I'd use.
    The storage on Outlook could be higher too but I'm not sure TBH.
    All my own opinion of course. Google has advantages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

Neither for me. Could try openmailbox.org quick easy account setup, easy to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

All depends. I have both, Outlook for Windows 8 login or just as my Microsoft account (most people "need" one at some point) for the likes of Microsoft downloads etc. and it was a merger from my ancient hotmail.com address I've had since the stone age.

I have used Gmail since it began as a beta invite only back in 2005 and its never failed me once. I'm a heavely involved Android user so Gmail to me is essential but I also take advantage of a plethora of other services.

Personally, I'd recommend Gmail - Outlook.com (Hotmail) is vastly better than its ever been (I use Outlook 365 with work everyday) so I wouldn't cancel that out but its down to personal experience really. Sign up to both, see which mobile apps, web interfaces you prefer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yahoo have 1TB of space. Google comes with Google Docs, Hangout etc.

As far as email goes, I'd choose Yahoo over Google and Hotmail.

Otherwise, the UI is just personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

advertsfox wrote: »
    All depends. I have both, Outlook for Windows 8 login or just ign up to both, see which mobile apps, web interfaces you prefer.

I do agree, I guess I side-stepped the point of the question. Yes some rely on certain apps and they go hand-in-hand with GMail and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Only ever had both - Hotmail & Gmail.

MSN/OUTLOOK

both my Hotmail accounts got hacked and taken over with spam! One I've no access to anymore because MSN wont sort it out.
    I don't like how msn/outlook sends "flagged" (means safe?) mail to you about new features... which I don't use, and don't want!

GMAIL
    It is quick and easy to manage and to make folders and everything.
    Plus I can check the emails on the Gmail app on my phone.
    I also like the sorting it has done into groups :
    1. inbox; personal direct messages.
    2. promotions; offers from wholesale sites, coffee shops, etc.
    3. social; FB, twitter, pinterest, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Use both. Mainly Gmail. Increasingly though Gmail is annoying all these categories which serve no purpose, other than to confuse what exactly is happening with your email. Its no longer a clear interface, things move around for no good reason. I find older people confused if the ads are in their email, or not. I also dislike how google are sucking up everything you do and read. Outlook has improved. But I'm not willing to use it as my main email yet. As their (MS) track record in the past was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, they pretty much the same. I try to spread my online presence over many accounts so my whole life is not on google or microsoft servers.
    It's a tradeoff between user ease against privacy concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find Gmail better at handling spam. I use an outlook.com account for one email address I have and it's full of spam. My Gmail then sucks this account up via pop3 and it wipes out all the spam so I have my outlook address minus the spam all displayed in my Gmail.

However outlook.com is a nicer more familiar interface if you are used to using Outlook at work for example

Advertisement