Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare Village Extension

Options
  • 25-10-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

It looks like work on the Kildare Viallage extension has begun - there is site clearance work visible as you enter the village.

I've heard there will be two new restaurants included. They are badly needed. Lets hope this extension addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

NedNew2 wrote: »
    It looks like work on the Kildare Viallage extension has begun - there is site clearance work visible as you enter the village.

I've heard there will be two new restaurants included. They are badly needed. Lets hope this extension addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the place.

What do you consider these to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

The biggest issue with the outlets is the roundabout at the entrance. there needs to be a yellow box put there to allow traffic comong from Kildare Town toward the motorway to pass through. All too often people block up the roundabout because they think someone might get ahead of them. Its painful, epically at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 by the curragh

What do you consider these to be?

I can't believe they are extending that place (but yes, it must be true judging by the works started behind Tesco).

It took ages to get off the motorway and past it to get into Kildare town this afternoon, it was absolute chaos, the traffic was backed up some way down the westbound off ramp and disorderly slow motion shenanigans were going on where the unmarked double lanes went into single lanes at the roundabout exits, which, politely put, constituted total zip merge fail. The carpark appeared to be full, which was resulting traffic being stationary on the access roads with nowhere to go for some periods of time.

It would appear that the single lane access road infrastructure can't cope with the traffic volumes of the place as it is now, and was never designed to, let alone with a bigger version, and there's a serious risk of stationary queues of traffic on the M7, which I fear could happen on weekends in the run up to Christmas.

There also appears to be nowhere for buses to stop / park / wait without causing further obstruction. If there are bus parking spaces in the Village it would appear drivers are reluctant to enter in case they become blocked in.

I would hope at the very least the access roads are going to widened to allow traffic off the motorway into the town proper without getting caught up the Village mess. Because, let's not forget, this is also the main access route off the M7 into Kildare town. Though the single lane flyover I suspect is a bottleneck that would be too costly to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

today was the last weekend of their fabulous forthnight - worse than Christmas, but its only for the bank holiday.

If you know the area, you'll take the back route via Aldi into Kildare Town.

In any case the extension will see good changes to the access and exit and pedestrian link to Tesco. It also looks like there will be a vehicle entrance/exit from the road leading into tesco.

"The proposed development also comprises; revisions to existing access road from the Nurney Road access; a new vehicular exit only onto the Nurney Road including provision of raised median line on Nurney Road; a pedestrian link between the proposed development and the adjoining Tesco development; partial reconfiguration of existing car park and movement routes;"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

The Village Outlet is a big victim of their success. There is clearly not enough car parking spaces for peak periods, Manual labour is used to patrol the car park and to try and direct traffic to vacant spaces.

With no electronic system (e.g. one like Whitewater or Dundrum) - ok they are both enclosed car parks - the situation can only get worse with more traffic attracted to the extension.

Drivers look for clear information for their journeys and want certainty of arrival (and free car parking space). None of this is being provided so in the longer term users of the public roads in the area are the losers.

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    The Village Outlet is a big victim of their success. There is clearly not enough car parking spaces for peak periods, Manual labour is used to patrol the car park and to try and direct traffic to vacant spaces.

With no electronic system (e.g. one like Whitewater or Dundrum) - ok they are both enclosed car parks - the situation can only get worse with more traffic attracted to the extension.

Drivers look for clear information for their journeys and want certainty of arrival (and free car parking space). None of this is being provided so in the longer term users of the public roads in the area are the losers.

They use the exact same system in Bicester in UK - manual management is more expensive, but eyes and a pair of hands can change traffic flow very quickly.

Also, for overflow they have the old sawmills and that feeds out onto the Aldi road. And they also use Modus Media site at Christmas weekends.

I live nearby and I rarely encounter any major delay - try getting through Dundrum on a Saturday afternoon, let alone trying to get into the centre!

Its not perfect, but considering the amount of people that go to the centre, the traffic flow is well managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mac89

Has anyone heard what new boutiques are planned to open with phase 2? They are planning to open the new outlets in November this year I believe.

Mac89 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard what new boutiques are planned to open with phase 2? They are planning to open the new outlets in November this year I believe.

Here you go :)
    http://www.bicestervillage.com/en/brands/brands

Bicester is part of same company so you can sort of look at what they have and this will give an idea of what will be coming.

They have stated that it will be Paris / Milan they will be looking at rather that USA brands, so whilst many not recognisable, some nice quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mac89

delahuntv wrote: »
    Here you go :)
    http://www.bicestervillage.com/en/brands/brands

Bicester is part of same company so you can sort of look at what they have and this will give an idea of what will be coming.

They have stated that it will be Paris / Milan they will be looking at rather that USA brands, so whilst many not recognisable, some nice quality stuff.

Looks good. I just hope they adress the parking issues - it was mental last weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've been to Bicester and thought it was really quite expensive. You really have to appreciate your labels to get value for money. To the average shopper who buys from a variety of price brackets (me) you'll find it a little too high end.

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »
    I've been to Bicester and thought it was really quite expensive. You really have to appreciate your labels to get value for money. To the average shopper who buys from a variety of price brackets (me) you'll find it a little too high end.

I think that's the whole idea of the village - high end products at prices a little more attainable and sometimes you get a fab bargain.

3 x Barbour jumpers for €110 a few weeks ago - VERY handy in this week's weather :) - Same model & colours are onsale on online stores for £159 - £199 sterling each!

I have a slight advantage - I live within 2 minutes of it and can just pop in on way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

delahuntv wrote: »
    Its not perfect, but considering the amount of people that go to the centre, the traffic flow is well managed.

Once the number of vehicles are nearing capacity (around 80% filled spaces) then the manual system is no use.

Advertisement