Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter is coming ...

• 25-10-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Apparently we're in for an awesome/bad winter next month, so says the New Zealand fella apparently. Couldn't find anything online about it though.

In any event is there anything one should do in anticipation of winter. Most of my shrubs are ~2 or 3 years old. I read about protecting the roots, is that really a worthwhile activity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take these predictions with a pinch of salt.....lot of guesswork on the part of these guys.
    I'd say if you analyzed their predictions they get as many (if not more) wrong as right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We have had 4 mild winters since 2010 (which was about a one in thirty year severity) so we are due a coldish one, doesn't mean it will happen though. I wouldn't worry about it personally, deep penetrating persistent frosts are pretty rare in this country

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

[QUOTE=
    In any event is there anything one should do in anticipation of winter. Most of my shrubs are ~2 or 3 years old. I read about protecting the roots, is that really a worthwhile activity?[/QUOTE]

If there is space around your shrubs a mulch of organic material every autumn is a good idea.You not only protect the roots but also feed earth worms and have better growth next year, because the soil structure will be improved. Heavy rain can remove soil from roots making shrubs less stable and more exposed to damage. A good mulch should stop this and I find my fruit bushes and trees give better results the following year when there has been good organic manure applied in the autumn.

Advertisement