Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements for a pistol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

When was this decision made in Ennis??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

It's a district court judgement so I wonder how much weight it holds? Obviously it holds more weight with courts of equal standing.
    The same judgement can influence higher courts but they are not bound by it!

and as far as making any modified capacity 22lr pistols illegal, well if they are licenced then IMO you don't have to worry until your renewal date..

So I'm still waiting for the exact wording of the judgement..

This happened in Ennis this week!.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Thanks for info. Didn't hear that one was coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Ennis DC judgement so basically holds weight in Ennis only. Other DCs are still free to make whatever determination they feel appropriate on this issue. Only High Court and supreme Court can effectively determine national 'verdicts \ law'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

freddieot wrote: »
    Ennis DC judgement so basically holds weight in Ennis only. Other DCs are still free to make whatever determination they feel appropriate on this issue. Only High Court and supreme Court can effectively determine national 'verdicts \ law'.

So anybody from the Ennis district is pretty much goosed if they get a refusal for a pistol that has the magazine plugged unless they take a chance in the high court?

Sounds like trouble for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ntipptop

The judgment was against the design of the pistol, , not the mag, he didn't give a judgement on that
    He agreed with ags that the said pistol was not "designed" for Olympic style shooting
    He went on to mention the modified mag but that was as far as he went

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

What was the pistol in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ntipptop

Gsg 1911

If anyone was there themselves or has reliable reports on it could they pm me the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

This is my pistol case, along with a friend of mine, both for GSG pistols,case was lost for the decision that they are by design not for Olympic use, no issue with mags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And thats already wrong as there is a specific gsg1911 TARGET model available anyway on the market.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sorry to hear that Tack. Have you a high court date yet?

cw67irl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Tack. Have you a high court date yet?
    Waiting on what happens next...the high court test cases will sort our case out and help everyone that has a non Olympic type firearm because that the road we are all going down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I hear March 2015....Can anyone confirm or deny???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I hear March 2015....Can anyone confirm or deny???

There hoping that they kick off around then from what I heard. ie March/April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Varmint Shooter

This is my pistol case, along with a friend of mine, both for GSG pistols,case was lost for the decision that they are by design not for Olympic use, no issue with mags.

Disappointing outcome for you & your buddy. The system is a disgrace at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gah. This is why I hate this stuff being settled in courtrooms. There are very, very few pistols designed from the ground up for the Olympics and these days it's not economical to do so for beginners pistols (hence the Hammerli xesse being available in both ISSF and IDPA models, two very different applications). But the law doesn't and never has said "designed exclusively for" -- it says "designed for use in connection with" and in early drafts it was clearer when it said "suitable for use in". Not to mention that there are several events not in the Games that are under ISSF or UIPM rules. So that ruling makes no sense to me except in the case where the case had not been made clearly enough to - or understood clearly enough by - the court.

Problem is, court's an adversarial system and it goes according to the best case made on the day, not according to the best analysis possible. Which is why it's the avenue of last resort :( Sorry your case was one of the ones to go sideways Tackleberry, hope a better outcome is down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Can any .22 pistol be used to compete in an issf competition that could lead to an olympic quota / ranking?

S&W 41, Browning Challenger etc were designed for competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Can any .22 pistol be used to compete in an issf competition that could lead to an olympic quota / ranking?
    Any one that passes equipment control (which means conforming to the ISSF equipment rules). Some won't be as competitive as others, but that's neither here nor there for the purposes of a beginner starting out in the sport and should be neither here nor there for the purposes of the law. If it meets the ISSF rules, it's suitable for use in an ISSF event and that should be the end of it (and up until the second public FCP meeting, that was the end of it).

Advertisement