Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 3 issue

Options
  • 25-10-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

im having an issue with my sons playstation 3. he has it over a year and it has worked fine all along.

the last month or so he has been getting a "check signal cable" issue. i thought it was the hdmi cable so i bought a new one and still the same issue. i found a solution online that i said to hold on button till it beeps twice and then follow the directions on screen.

i did that but still the same issue.

can someone please help me?

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Is it working at all? or does it say that 100% of the time its on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

RedXIV wrote: »
    Is it working at all? or does it say that 100% of the time its on?

After i reset it by holding power button it will play for about 10-20 mins and then will pop up check signal cable

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    After i reset it by holding power button it will play for about 10-20 mins and then will pop up check signal cable

will it come back after any length of time or will it stay like that?

The check signal cable sounds like an error from the tv rather than the PS3.

Process of elimination here, we have a couple of things this could be:
    1. The HDMI cable
    2. The HDMI in port on the TV
    3. The HDMI output port on the PS3
    4. The PS3 itself
    5. The TV

You said you replaced the cable so chances are its not that. Just to be clear, where did you get the cable from? For example, I bought some from the pound shop and have had trouble with them

You can change the hdmi input port on the tv if you have another one, or change the tv to see if its that, which would rule out points 2 and 5. Its unlikely to be 4, I've only ever heard that sort of thing happen once and that was with launch models.

That leaves the hdmi output port on the PS3, if there is nothing left, I would recommend this:
    Cleaning HDMI port on PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ok so i tried the playstation on my sony tv and the issue is gone.

so im thinking it was the other tv as it is an oldest samsung tv.

playstation played fine all night.

however this morning it keeps powering itself off. i might get 10 mins or 5 mins or 2 mins and then it just powers off.

any ideas?

TB26

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    ok so i tried the playstation on my sony tv and the issue is gone.

so im thinking it was the other tv as it is an oldest samsung tv.

playstation played fine all night.

however this morning it keeps powering itself off. i might get 10 mins or 5 mins or 2 mins and then it just powers off.

any ideas?

TB26

Sounds like it's overheating. Are the vents clean? It's not really recommended but I run a hoover over my vents every once in a while to remove excess dust

Can you hear the fans going when it's on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement