Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension advice

Options
  • 25-10-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I started a a company defined benefit pension 6 years ago with a company I was working for. I left that company a year and a half ago and joined another company where I worked for a year. I was entitled to join the 2nd company's pension after 6 months but didn't as I knew I would be moving on. I joined a third company 6 months ago and I can join their pension now but I have only six months left on my contract after which I may be offered another contract or have to move on meaning I would be left with a second tiny pension with this company.
    Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who seems to move jobs often. Should I set up my own private pension and just transfer the company pension funds into it whenever I move job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

It's my understanding that you are entitled to join a company pension scheme on day one of your employment

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Not according to my last two employers but I didn't check it out myself and took their word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WPH Insurance

Baralis1 wrote: »
    I started a a company defined benefit pension 6 years ago with a company I was working for. I left that company a year and a half ago and joined another company where I worked for a year. I was entitled to join the 2nd company's pension after 6 months but didn't as I knew I would be moving on. I joined a third company 6 months ago and I can join their pension now but I have only six months left on my contract after which I may be offered another contract or have to move on meaning I would be left with a second tiny pension with this company.
    Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who seems to move jobs often. Should I set up my own private pension and just transfer the company pension funds into it whenever I move job?

Suggest that you get financial advice (look for a free session) from an independent financial advisor.

There is a pension vehicle available in the Irish market to which you can make contributions, regardless of what job you are in going forward i.e. a PRSA. This is a product that does not necessarily require contributions to be made through an employer as you can arrange to contribute independently from your own bank account etc. Tax relief on contributions is available by submitting the appropriate confirmation to Revenue. You can increase, decrease, cancel or postpone, restart contributions depending on your financial situation at any one time.

You also need to know exactly what your entitlements are regarding past pension contribution arrangements.

Hope that helps

WPH

Advertisement