Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap car maintenance

Options
  • 25-10-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I just bought my first car, an 03 Ford Fiesta with 60k miles on it and I was told by a mechanic that my alternator belt is frayed and my timing belt needs to be done, I'm currently a student and need to do this the cheapest way possible. I looked at Micks Garage and found all the parts I need for €70, could anybody point me in the direction of an affordable and reliable garage in South Dublin or if this isn't feasible tell me what's the best thing to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

D14 wrote: »
    I just bought my first car, an 03 Ford Fiesta with 60k miles on it and I was told by a mechanic that my alternator belt is frayed and my timing belt needs to be done, I'm currently a student and need to do this the cheapest way possible. I looked at Micks Garage and found all the parts I need for €70, could anybody point me in the direction of an affordable and reliable garage in South Dublin or if this isn't feasible tell me what's the best thing to do.

How much was the car?
    Is it a 1.25 engine? would you be royally stuck if it clapped out completely? could you afford to replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 D14

€1900, it's a 1.4, yeah only have about two hundred left over from the car to play around with.

Yeh?? So you cant afford to replace it in the event it claps? and you dont have any money left to replace it? I have to guess as you havent said.

Well, I understood the 1.4 is a scaled version of the 1.25, someone should confirm here, try find out what the timing belt interval is and price around for a few quotes, not sure why you didnt consider this when you bought it as it seems you dont have much left over to get work done.
    If its the same as the 1.25, that was 100kmiles but changed to 80k miles, or ten years which means you look overdue for it, on the otherhand, I dont know how stuck you'll be without the car, whether you are not on a bus route or have alternatives if it claps due to the timing belt, you could chance your arm and see how it goes, but you might be wondering everytime you drive it.

Id a 1.25, when I brought it to get the timing belt done at 100K+ miles it was only then ID found out it was 20k overdue, same auxillary belt in it till this day 15+ years later I believe, frays, cracks and all.
    By the time it might happen, you might have a few years on it and be replacing it anyway, or with such low miles you could get that done.

Id price a few main dealers and then see what the difference is to a recommended independant, ask for a recomendation on boards for where you can avail of it. I definitely think a timing belt is worth getting done and also done well.
    As for the alternator belt, you could change that yourself or if getting the timing, they will need to be replacing it anyway, maybe have a look at the routing and make a note, if it goes you could possibly replace that yourself.

edit
    I think the timing belt is on the right hand side of the engine, it might be possible to take off the top part of the timing belt cover or some part of it to try have a look at the condition, while a good condition is no real indicator, if it were in bad condition (any fraying or any deterioration or not centred on a toothed pulley) it might be a better indicator to get it done. Dont drop anything in there and I personally wouldnt touch the belt with anything either, just look), thats if you even want to do that.
    Personally I think it might last, but it depends on your need to keep the car, if you get it done right, then that part of the car should last longer than you would need it or maybe the rest, ie some other major failure.

Is it a clean car? with only 60k on it

Yeah, driving well and regularly serviced except when I go over 110/120 there is a high pitched noise coming from the dash, where would I find advice on a good (and affordable) mechanic?

D14 wrote: »
    Yeah, driving well and regularly serviced except when I go over 110/120 there is a high pitched noise coming from the dash, where would I find advice on a good (and affordable) mechanic?

Go over 110/120 what? is the dash in km's? I hope so.
    Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do x, Doctor, dont do that then.
    quick answer, dont go over 110/120. What kind of high pitched noise, where on the dash? is it coming from in the engine bay?
    I wouldnt drive it hard if you havent gotten the timing done, take it easy.

as for advice, oh I dont know?, motors, but probably not in car detailing.

• Advertisement

Grand, thanks yeah it's in kms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

You've literally looked up the price for both belts.
    Along with the timing belt you'll need the tensioner.
    The full kit along with the other belt should be 150.
    If you don't do the whole kit then don't do it at all as the tensioner could collapse 10k into the new belt.
    That leaves you with 50 to do the work. There's not a mechanic in the country that will do that work for that.
    Labour alone will be 200ish anywhere.

Welcome to the world of cars, the cheapest way to do work on your car is diy, but you must be competent.

Edit: Your whine sounds like a wheel bearing gone in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Also worth mentioning that you're paying the higher vat rate when you buy the parts but are charged the lower rate on parts supplied and fitted by a garage so it could work out cheaper

Advertisement