Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Paully D wrote: »
    Saw on Twitter there that the 76ers have 7 1st round and 16 2nd round draft picks through the next 6 drafts :eek: Works out like the below:

2015: 2 firsts, 3 seconds
    2016: 1 first, 2 seconds
    2017: 1 first, 1 second
    2018: 1 first, 4 seconds
    2019: 1 first, 4 seconds
    2020: 1 first, 2 seconds

Add to that they've already got some highly rated young players in Noel, Embiid, McDaniels and Saric stashed in Europe. If you can't build a decent roster from that haul and the cap space they'd have from having so many rookies/young players....

The only question would be when do they actually start going from being an embarrassment to improving dramatically? 2016 or 2017 would seem fair.

You left out Carter-Williams too who is putting up serious stats.
    Rookie season average of 16 points, 6 assists and 6 rebounds which has only ever been achieved by two players before.

Saw on Twitter there that the 76ers have 7 1st round and 16 2nd round draft picks through the next 6 drafts :eek: Works out like the below:

2015: 2 firsts, 3 seconds
    2016: 1 first, 2 seconds
    2017: 1 first, 1 second
    2018: 1 first, 4 seconds
    2019: 1 first, 4 seconds
    2020: 1 first, 2 seconds

Add to that they've already got some highly rated young players in Noel, Embiid, McDaniels and Saric stashed in Europe. If you can't build a decent roster from that haul and the cap space they'd have from having so many rookies/young players....

The only question would be when do they actually start going from being an embarrassment to improving dramatically? 2016 or 2017 would seem fair.

think thats a lot? boston have 9 from the draft just gone until 2018 and the right to swap with the nets in 2017 additionally the nets picks are unprotected.

they also have 8 second rounders from 2015-2018

and they got them for nothing

the 6ers have the advantage of absolutely sucking though apparently they want okafor out of next years draft bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I fully agree. Let's not discuss John Wall again! :D

Ahh, those were the days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Cavs OKC will be intriguing tonight, although unfortunately LeBron is out with knee soreness. Cavs are flying high atm riding the crest of momentum to an 8 game win streak, and OKC are playing catchup in the playoff race out west and can't really afford to drop this one tonight. They've gone 3-1 since Westbrook and Durant have been back in the lineup, but still lag well behind in the rankings. If the Cavs could somehow pull out the win without James in what is a big game and extend the streak to 9 they would really have something to hang their hat on. The Cavs ran into a really easy part of the schedule, and the winning streak has included 4 wins against opponents with losing records and the two victories against Toronto came without DeMar DeRozan. Gonna be a good one! Ade has OKC picked for what its worth

Lakers held an open practice today, and Kobe really went off, funny stuff.

Article:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12016979/los-angeles-lakers-star-kobe-bryant-critical-teammates-heated-scrimmage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Reports/Rumors going around that Charlotte are taking calls about trading Lance after only 6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

D2D wrote: »
    Reports/Rumors going around that Charlotte are taking calls about trading Lance after only 6 weeks

Not surprised at all, the guy is a lunatic and a supposed cancer in the dressing room. I was surprised people were as interested in him as they were.

Other trade rumors are that NY are potentially going to blow it up and dismantle completely. I just wonder does that include Melo? It should, but will anyone touch his contract as he's over 30? He had his chance this summer and took the money over a chance to win, teams will remember that.

Also, Golden State interested in signing Jesus Shuttlesworth. Would be a great fit for them if he does decide to come back. Would give them quality offense and extend the D further with his 3 point threat.

The only team I can think of touching him with a barge pole would be Indiana. His trade value would be crazy low, I would imagine George Hill and a future second rounder would get them him.

Maybe this was Bird and Vogel's plan all along, they knew that he would flame out wherever he went, diminishing his trade value enough that they could get him back for a song. LOL.

That being said though, the East is so poor that old Indiana Lance could make them a decent team, and lets not forget that Vogel has not ruled out Paul George returning late in the season. It could be all coming up Pacers haha.

Watch this space for the triumphant return of our old friend DRD if Indiana suddenly became relevant again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Lakers head to San Antonio tonight but it could be a historic night for Kobe as he can overtake MJ into 3rd place for the all time points scored. Kobe needs just 30 points to equal the record of 32,292.

Lakers head to San Antonio tonight but it could be a historic night for Kobe as he can overtake MJ into 3rd place for the all time points scored. Kobe needs just 30 points to equal the record of 32,292.

Bet of the night will be Kobe to take more shots than the rest of the Lakers combined. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Not sure if this has been posted up here before or if I even came across it through this forum, but this Youtube channel uploads the Inside the TNT episodes, which I think are gold.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdQGD5KNsTA6PyHxYUX6thQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You won't see a better individual first quarter this season than Aldridge's against the Bulls tonight. 10/12 for 21 points including a couple of ridiculous shots that have gone in. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

You won't see a better individual first quarter this season than Aldridge's against the Bulls tonight. 10/12 for 21 points including a couple of ridiculous shots that have gone in. :eek:

He has been on fire. Rose looks as good as he's ever been, so much more controlled now too.

Mirotic is a beast, I would say Thibs needs to play him more but that the Bulls frontcourt is just unbelievably talented right now. This kid will be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

buyer95 wrote: »
    Mirotic is a beast, I would say Thibs needs to play him more that the Bulls frontcourt is just unbelievably talented right now. This kid will be amazing.

Yeah, from what I've seen of him he looks like such a talent. Up and down the court like a yo-yo too. He'll be exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

buyer95 wrote: »
    Mirotic is a beast, I would say Thibs needs to play him more but that the Bulls frontcourt is just unbelievably talented right now. This kid will be amazing.

Yes, future all-star I think. Very exciting to see how he develops because he's so multi-talented. Has one or two wow moments a game. One I liked from the last game against the Nets...pulled down a defensive rebound, started running the court, head up, spotted Dunleavy ahead at the 3-point line. Threw a half-court diagonal pass, and Dunleavy swished the 3. You don't see many 6-10 guys doing that.

Then you've got his scoring, inside and outside, very good rebounding instincts as well.

Very enjoyable game last night against the Blazers. Lillard is one of my favourite young players to watch and him and Rose went at it. As Hubie Brown said in the commentary, it was like a summer league game in Rucker Park, with both of them trading baskets. Lillard finished with 35, and Rose with 31 in his 2nd consecutive excellent performance.

Must mention Aaron Brooks as well, who's been an excellent pickup for the Bulls at backup point-guard. Was sorry to see DJ Augustin go last season, but Brooks has come in and really been just as good. I think the 2nd unit can be a real strength of this team with starter-quality guys like Gibson & Mirotic, and Brooks can be a big part of that as well. Averaging 10 points a game in 19 minutes, and had 17 last night in just 17 minutes.

Watching Clippers Bucks on ball streams atm, wow Kidd has Milwaukee playing fantastic basketball right now. The team is a real basketball nerds wet dream, Giannis is freaking amazing and is destined for greatness, Jabari has an nba skill set, he's still figuring it out but he will get it. Knight has been decent this year, Mayo has had a major comeback year, and Sanders is also playing very well. They play really hard, have a top 7 defense and are there youth seems to have rendered them fearless. Currently all over the Clippers, this will be a team to be reckoned with in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Philly had a 6 point lead on the grizz with about 45 seconds left and blew it.
    Grizz bossing OT now.

Tobias Harris with a nice buzzer beater for the Magic. He's been playing really well for Orlando. I'd say the Bucks are regretting that trade now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Come back to Papa Lance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Done and dusted!
    The game was instantly stopped by the Timberwolves and the game ball was given to Kobe, in the middle of the quarter. Was kind of weird. B424_Jvw_CYAEU5_XI.jpg

Done and dusted!
    The game was instantly stopped by the Timberwolves and the game ball was given to Kobe, in the middle of the quarter. Was kind of weird. B424_Jvw_CYAEU5_XI.jpg
    Yeah was odd wasn't it.

Still a nice touch all the same.

Made the game feel a bit meaningless afterwards.

Kings doing what the Kings do by sacking their coach who was turning around the fortunes of the franchise.

I had to like quadruple-check that it wasn't a fake Woj account. That makes literally no sense at all. Malone has turned the team around this year and they were playing well when Boogie was healthy. He was getting a lot out of a McLemore-Collison backcourt! How can you fire him?

Kings doing what the Kings do by sacking their coach who was turning around the fortunes of the franchise.

I had to like quadruple-check that it wasn't a fake Woj account. That makes literally no sense at all. Malone has turned the team around this year and they were playing well when Boogie was healthy. He was getting a lot out of a McLemore-Collison backcourt! How can you fire him?

The Kings decision is crazy. Best start in years then your star player goes down sick and you sack the coach? Daft.

in the kings defence there was a real danger of them becoming relevant and thats just not very kinglike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say the Kings have made the right decision.
    Malone's record was poor. [.37 win record since he took over with Cousins beastin 'n' feastin the whole time]
    Ok, they got off to a good start this season, but was that down to the coaching?
    What about their tailspin since Boogie got sick? He gets a pass because he's missing his best player? Thibs was missing his best player for the best part of 2 years and never had a collapse like the Kings are having now.
    Even at the start of the year, when things were going well, they surrendered big leads in several games.

Ty Corbin will take over short-term and I expect long-term. He had a superior record to Malone in 3 seasons with much less talent at his disposal in Utah. [.43 wins]

BQQ wrote: »
    I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say the Kings have made the right decision.
    Malone's record was poor. [.37 win record since he took over with Cousins beastin 'n' feastin the whole time]
    Ok, they got off to a good start this season, but was that down to the coaching?
    What about their tailspin since Boogie got sick? He gets a pass because he's missing his best player? Thibs was missing his best player for the best part of 2 years and never had a collapse like the Kings are having now.
    Even at the start of the year, when things were going well, they surrendered big leads in several games.

Ty Corbin will take over short-term and I expect long-term. He had a superior record to Malone in 3 seasons with much less talent at his disposal in Utah. [.43 wins]

Except Cousins was not "beastin and feastin" all that time. The guy was a borderline cancer in his early years, sure yeah he's been good this season and last. Those Kings teams he coached then were totally useless apart from Cousins, and at the time if you were depending on Cousins to be your leader you were in trouble. Cousins seems to have matured recently.

Firstly the Bulls had a very strong supporting cast, and secondly they play in the East, where the schedule is far more forgiving. Thibs is a top 3 coach in this league, and there's no point comparing Malone to him because Malone is not in that class, however few are, and Malone did not deserve to lose his job on the back of a decent start to the season.

All that being said, if the Kings had a top class replacement lined up then I could begin to see the intelligence in this move. Say for a moment Jeff Van Gundy had given a commitment, or even a George Karl. But they havn't, Ty Corbin has been given the job on an interim basis, probably till the end of the season. I would argue with anyone who says that Corbin marks an upgrade over Malone. In a consistently poor Eastern Conference, he had the nucleus of a decent team with Paul Milsap and Al Jefferson providing a stellar frontcourt, Gordan Hayward decent wing. He failed to develop either Kanter or Favors, and missed out on the playoffs in 3 of his 4 years at the helm. The year he did make it they got swept in the first round. Corbin is a poor offensive coach, who failed to put in place a functional offense with 2 big weapons, Jefferson as a low post beast and Milsap as a pick and pop stretch the floor maestro.

So no, I don't think this was a good call from the Kings top brass.

Bit weird playing the Heat without Lebron (and Deng in his place), didn't have the same edge to it as past Bulls-Heat games. The Heat were without Bosh, so the Bulls were expected to win.

The Bulls started sloppily with lots of turnovers, but were able to shut down the Heat defensively with ease, with Wade stranded on Butler Island. The Heat had just 48 points after 3 quarters, and by that time the Bulls offense had recovered on the back of some hot shooting from Mike Dunleavy. The game was effectively over after 3 quarters, with the Bulls leading by 20 odd points.

They had an interesting stat in the game:

The Bulls are the most improved offense this season (in terms of points-per-game)
    They are also the defense that has regressed the most (again in terms of points-per-game).

This is overall encouraging though, as I think the defense can be improved as the season goes on (get Noah healthy, and new players adjust to the system better).

• Advertisement

Don't know much about Mike Malone, but certainly his numbers look good.

The Kings won 34% of games last year in his first season, and won 46% of games this year, with DeMarcus Cousins out for the last 10 games. That's a pretty good improvement, and were on pace for their best season since '07/'08.

The Bulls have an interest in the Kings this season. They have one of their 1st round picks (top-10 protected), that expires in a couple of years. They needed the Kings to finish outside the bottom 10 to get it, which looked like happening this season.

At least until they fired their coach.

Advertisement