Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Justice! Boogie with his first All-Star appearance, Silver picked him as the replacement for Kobe.

Worth sticking a 5er on him for MVP. The odds will be great, and even though it's usually a guard who takes home MVP, Cuz is going to have a chip on his shoulder in this game. He'll also lead the break a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver chooses Kings center DeMarcus Cousins to replace Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (injury) in 2015 NBA All-Star Game.

Actually delighted at this news, also replacing Bean is a bonus. His numbers and growth over the last few years is too much to be overlooked. Also its very rare that the commissioner is commended over a decision but here it is! First Kings all star since 2004. Hopefully from this point on the turmoil and ****ery ends in Sactown.

Lillard was also extremely deserving but the league is so stacked there's always a good few deserving players left out. Boogie got in because he had more coach votes than Lillard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

moneyman wrote: »
    Justice! Boogie with his first All-Star appearance, Silver picked him as the replacement for Kobe.

Worth sticking a 5er on him for MVP. The odds will be great, and even though it's usually a guard who takes home MVP, Cuz is going to have a chip on his shoulder in this game. He'll also lead the break a lot.

I'd imagine Cousins will get 7/8 mins max. The all star game is so tough to get minutes in, especially for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

The All Star Game is just a popularity contest at this stage. Doesn't matter how good you're playing. If Michael Jordan came back and averaged 5 points a game, he'd still be voted into the All Star Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    Ugh, Chicago. :(

The game was just finishing as I was getting up for work, but looking at the box score I see Mirotic only played 12 minutes. Was there any particular reason for that?

Not sure, don't think there was any injury issue anyway.

Wasn't a great team performance, but pretty unhappy with Rose in the game. Shot 7-26, I don't mind bad nights, but if you don't have it going, you need to go to your teammates a bit more. Hated the shot at the end of the first overtime....Bulls had led by 5 with a minute to go, Lakers tied it up, and the Bulls had the last shot with about 15 seconds left.

Cleared it out for Rose against Wayne Ellington. And you're thinking 'drive to the rim', he never even tried, could tell by the way he was lining up, had no intention of trying to take him off the dribble. Ended up taking a long step-back jumper out near the 3-point line, which was a total brick.

I don't mind the miss, but hate the choice of shot. If you drive to the rim, you have 3 chances of scoring...you make the shot, you get fouled, or you have a good chance of a tip-in off a short rebound. Jump-shot off the dribble is a cop-out.

Kevin Love going off on one in the first quarter against the kings, 16 points so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Whiteside with 14 rebounds after 8 minutes for the heat :0

Crazy stuff.The game itself isn't worth watching without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Half time in the Utah/GSW game.
    Utah up 56-45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

killwill wrote: »
    Half time in the Utah/GSW game.
    Utah up 56-45.

Warriors didn't play well and utah played pretty good, a lot of easy points in the fast break and easy rebounds.
    I think the warriors looked a bit tired and its probably not a bad thing that they loose a few, brings people back to reality.
    Was watching it in a bar in sf and I swear people would think they have fallen to pieces all together, bay area baskrtball fans have a very short memory, the team was ****e for so many years, this team is a revelation.

• Advertisement

Warriors didn't play well and utah played pretty good, a lot of easy points in the fast break and easy rebounds.
    I think the warriors looked a bit tired and its probably not a bad thing that they loose a few, brings people back to reality.
    Was watching it in a bar in sf and I swear people would think they have fallen to pieces all together, bay area baskrtball fans have a very short memory, the team was ****e for so many years, this team is a revelation.

I enjoy watching the Warriors. Quick on the break and great shooting. But IMO they rely too heavily on their outside game and that simply is not enough when it comes to playoffs. The front court is not strong enough and it is a shame as their 1-2 are the strongest in the league by a country mile.
    I hope I am wrong and they go all the way. I just cannot see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

could see them try to trade randle for a centre not sure who they would get though (and to be fair they could be in for okafor in this years draft)

Hopefully, we aint making playoffs, I want a star draft pick

killwill wrote: »
    I enjoy watching the Warriors. Quick on the break and great shooting. But IMO they rely too heavily on their outside game and that simply is not enough when it comes to playoffs. The front court is not strong enough and it is a shame as their 1-2 are the strongest in the league by a country mile.
    I hope I am wrong and they go all the way. I just cannot see it happening.

Yea, I agree, you never see a jump shooting team win championships. They do have that x factor with curry and thompson, so anything is possible, a healthy bogut will be huge for the defense come playoffs and I think iggy will have a big role to play too on the defensive side.
    If they get 1 seed and okc get 8th, wow...that will be an exceptiobal 1st round game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hawks on a 18 game win streak now. They are not getting anywhere near enough attention in my opinion.

Better from Rose last night, more aggressive. Team as a whole didn't play well enough. Without the 3-point shooting of Dunleavy/McDermott, the team needs to play excellent defense to beat the decent teams. The defense wasn't excellent last night, and they lost. I'm optimistic things will improve when Dunleavy gets back.

Chuffed for Jimmy Butler to make the all-star team, it was on the cards for a while, but still great to make it official. Drafted bottom of the first round, you're generally hoping for a decent rotation player from this pick. It's a testament to Butler's work ethic that he's come from there to now be an all-star.

Looking back at the draft, selected 30th overall, but just one of 3 players to make the all-star team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_draft#Draft_selections

Good lesson for other guys in the league, a lot to be said for hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

All you GSW doubters………..I keep telling you this team can go all the way this year IF they stay healthy. As valuable as the Splash Bros. are, the key to them progressing is Bogut's health. Not joking on that. Look at how close GS came in the last 2 years to succeeding in the play offs with serious injuries to Bogut and Lee being a significant part in their undoing.

I mentioned their Defense in my post the other day - they are seriously overlooked in this area because of the spectacular play on the offensive end. But how many of you knew GS are the No. 1 ranked defense in the league right now? Seriously.

They also have 2 lock down 20point per game players in Curry and Thompson. That's invaluable to vary the threat in the post season. You're also all forgetting one thing shooters bring to the game - spacing. They open the interior passing lanes and the post so much. And no-one shoots from distance like those two. Another thing distance shooting brings is long-rebounds off misses, which statistically increases the chances of offensive rebounds. Bogut, Lee & Co. will benefit from this. You have a choice - leave Curry and Klay open and hope they miss, or go for isolation D in the post.

One other thing people are forgetting is Curry in particular is not a spot up shooter in the traditional sense and doesn't live or die by just the jump shot to get his points. He doesn't need to be wide open to hit his shot ilke other shooters - I can't ever recall seeing a better shooter off the dribble from distance or a guy requiring so little room to get his shoot off. And he can pass with either hand off the dribble too, where a lot of his assists come from - very difficult to guard that versus a gut who picks the balls up and holds it in both hands prior to passing. It's just the split second difference in the timing that makes all the difference.

Oh, and guess which team leads the league in assists? GSW. Now its that type of team ball that wins championships.

They also lead in points and points differential!

Sooner or later you'll start to realise they're legit.

I picked them to win it all this year with the caveat that they stay healthy (check my pre-season post on this on here if you don't believe me). I see no reason to doubt that now.

If I wasn't so tired I'd give other reasons as to why!

• Advertisement

I really do hope your right, I am just too afraid to say it out loud in case I jinx it. Its still kind if surreal to think that we have a legit team here at last. Still have those pesky spurs to deal with, they just are able to pace themselves so perfectly throughout the season

Yup, agree that San An are the biggest threat. They could be the 8th seed come the Play Offs and I'd still see them as the biggest threat. Home court is crucial though for a "young" team like GSW. Remember how hard they pushed the Spurs 2 years ago in the Play Offs? Well both teams are 2 years older now - old in the Spurs case, but definitely wiser in GSW's. They were significantly out coached in the Pop v Jackson sideline battle and though Kerr is clearly a huge improvement, Pop will still have the edge.

But it'll be very hard for even San An to beat the team with the highest assists in the league, highest points per game, highest differential and best defense. That's a LOT to overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The Hawks 19 game win streak ended last night to the Pelicans

GS with 33 assists on 46 baskets last night.

This was on si.com today….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Steph Curry's aul one is still a milf.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Steph Curry's aul one is still a milf.

I didn't want to comment on that, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice…... ;)

GSW give up 42 in the first quarter last night, down 22 at 1 stage and win by 14 with Curry throwing in 51 against Dallas. Impressive no matter how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Curry scored 26 only in the 3rd! Very impressive.

I hope Golden State stay like that.

Thidp wrote: »
    Curry scored 26 only in the 3rd! Very impressive.

I hope Golden State stay like that.

Have a look at the highlights even and see some of the shots he made. I've never seen a guy handle the ball as well as he does combined with a shooter's eye. No-one creates space space off the dribble in the game like Curry, and no-one has his shot release quickness either. I doubt I've ever seen a player be able to do all of the above as well as him. And he can pass off the dribble off either hand too. Absolutely insane skill level.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Yeah, I saw the highlights, he was incredible. He's having a hell of a season so far.

If Golden State stay like that I think the only real threat in the West is San Antonio

Pretty much everyone is a threat in the West to be fair.

Hey, Warriors @ Hawks tonight.

B9LHT8XIUAItWCJ.jpg

It's not on too late either. Brilliant!

I guess with both you're still kind of wondering if they can translate their regular season success to the playoffs. The Warriors are the best team I've seen this season, but the playoffs are a different ballgame and you can hit a bad matchup.

And the same with the Hawks, I'm impressed, but I want to see it in the playoffs before I get too excited (actually I have more doubts about the Hawks than the Warriors).

We'll get a bit of a preview tonight against some quality opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Raps are gone to ****, and have a very tough 8 game run coming up, ill admit i have seen very little nba since the new year

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    I guess with both you're still kind of wondering if they can translate their regular season success to the playoffs. The Warriors are the best team I've seen this season, but the playoffs are a different ballgame and you can hit a bad matchup.

And the same with the Hawks, I'm impressed, but I want to see it in the playoffs before I get too excited (actually I have more doubts about the Hawks than the Warriors).

We'll get a bit of a preview tonight against some quality opposition.

I'm a lot more impressed with GS tbh. I've tried to catch a lot of the Hawks in the last few weeks and they're certainly a good team but I'd wonder can they keep it up for the next 4 months. Also I think the Bulls and Cavs (Cavs especially) are building for a big finish to the year.

Damn though, Golden State are just a great team. Their depth is phenomenal. They're going to be great for years, looks like their owners are going to pay the luxury tax in upcoming years. It's always a good sign when you have two 50 point scorers in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The space bowl is shaping up nicely, pity that the networks can't have flexible scheduling. 2 best teams in the league playing each other and it's only on LP.

What a win for the Hawks. I genuinely doubted they could keep this form up after Christmas but they are playing great ball.

TWolves with the win in the dying seconds tonight too. Fantastic to see Ricky Rubio back. Very efficient PG but needs to start a consistent run of scoring to add to his alround play in order to be classed as great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Nice win for the raptors last night against lac, 20pts down at one stage too, nice easy game on sun now against the spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Talks of Stoudemire buying out his contract to join the Mavs to pursue a ring? That would be awesome for the Knicks!

Very good win for the Pacers against the in form Cavs too.

Mongo wrote: »
    Talks of Stoudemire buying out his contract to join the Mavs to pursue a ring? That would be awesome for the Knicks!

That would be a great pick up for the Mavs too in fairness. Part of the problem with STAT is that he has to live up to the huge Max deal the Knicks gave him back in free agency a few years ago. He was great in his first couple of seasons with them but eventually his injuries just got the better of him.

One of the most underestimated assets in the NBA is a teams medical staff. Phoenix is widely regarded as having one of the top med teams in the league and it shows. Nash left and he has played a handful of games in the two years since is just one example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Mongo wrote: »

Not really that great for the Knicks. Amare is an expiring contract and is coming off the books this summer regardless. That being said I would like to see STAT going to Dallas to play on a good team. He has been a great pro with New York, and I bear him no ill will, he always gave his all whenever he was out there. Never courted controversy and just got on with things.
    That being said, I'm not sure the Mavs need a big who can't defend. He could be a decent 15-20 mins bench player for them alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

buyer95 wrote: »
    Not really that great for the Knicks. Amare is an expiring contract and is coming off the books this summer regardless. That being said I would like to see STAT going to Dallas to play on a good team. He has been a great pro with New York, and I bear him no ill will, he always gave his all whenever he was out there. Never courted controversy and just got on with things.
    That being said, I'm not sure the Mavs need a big who can't defend. He could be a decent 15-20 mins bench player for them alright though.

My apologies I forgot his deal was up this year. I like Stat and it's a pity he was injury plagued but The Knicks need to blow it up as much as they can and start again

• Advertisement

Supposedly the Kings and George Karl in advanced talks. Pete D'allesandro and Kings management want something in place by all star weekend pushing up their schedule for hiring a new coach. Karl seemingly is a huge fan of cousins but judging by his tweets (such as 2 days ago tweeting he wouldn't mind coaching the Magic when they sacked their coach) he's desparate enough for any job.

Either way Kings fans are ****ing sick of this disastrous season after such a promising start and the sacking of Malone which probably makes sense on one level (his rotations were baffling at times) and the alarming blown leads (multiple games where 20+ point leads blown) but the fact was the defence was shockingly different to last season and he had massive locker room support.

Either way I have the feeling a once in a generation talent like Cousins is being wasted

It sucks that probably one of and possibly all of KD, Russell Westbrook and Anthony Davis could miss the playoffs. That's like 3 of the top 5 players in the league. NBA needs to change up the playoff system.

Bulls 107 - Pelicans 72.

The Bulls caught a break here when Anthony Davis went off injured in the first half. It happened on an alley-oop pass from Tyreke Evans, Davis dunked it, tried to hang on to the rim, but his hand slipped off, and he fell on his shoulder. X-rays were negative apparently, but he has a shoulder contusion (whatever that is).

The Bulls were playing well anyway, but things certainly got a lot easier once Davis went off.

Big game for my man Tony Snell, 7-10, 5-6 from downtown. One good thing about Dunleavy's absence is Snell has gone some burn, and is having a nice second season off the bench. Snell had a difficult rookie season, and your second season is probably make-or-break, I think he's doing enough to carve out a place in the league.

McDermott, back from injury, also got some minutes at the end and looked good.

This could be Monty Williams last season with the Pelicans, man did they look bad once Anthony Davis went out.

Really liked the Pelicans play-by-play announcer, Joel Meyers is his name. Great commentators voice, old-school raspy, smart and humorous as well. Most of the local commentators I find pretty bad, so the good ones stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Supposedly the Kings and George Karl in advanced talks. Pete D'allesandro and Kings management want something in place by all star weekend pushing up their schedule for hiring a new coach. Karl seemingly is a huge fan of cousins but judging by his tweets (such as 2 days ago tweeting he wouldn't mind coaching the Magic when they sacked their coach) he's desparate enough for any job.

Either way Kings fans are ****ing sick of this disastrous season after such a promising start and the sacking of Malone which probably makes sense on one level (his rotations were baffling at times) and the alarming blown leads (multiple games where 20+ point leads blown) but the fact was the defence was shockingly different to last season and he had massive locker room support.

Either way I have the feeling a once in a generation talent like Cousins is being wasted

Woj is saying the deal has stalled as Cousin's camp is against Karl taking over the Kings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RIP Dean Smith.

B9VNdVsIAAAqivM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty good early game on here. Okc v the clippers minus Blake who needs surgery.
    Okc really need to start putting a winning run together to get that 8th spot.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    RIP Dean Smith.

I'm reading Roland Lazenby's Michael Jordan - The Life at the moment (it's very good), and I can see that Jordan owed a good deal his success to playing under Dean Smith. He was probably always going to be a talent, but in terms of having a well-rounded game that included defense and passing ability, as well as scoring.

A bit I liked from the 1982 NCAA final against Georgetown.....Jordan was a freshman on the team, and at the time deferred to the more senior players James Worthy and Sam Perkins. North Carolina had led from about 5 minutes out, but after two baskets from Georgetown, found themselves down 1, with 30 seconds to go. And the way the game played out, you expected Worthy or Perkins to take the shot.

From the book...
    With thirty-two seconds left, Smith called a time-out to set up a play to counter Georgetown’s anticipated move back to a zone. “Usually, I don’t like to take a time-out there,” Smith said. “We should know what to do. But I expected Georgetown to come back to the zone and jam it in. I said, ‘Doherty, take a look for James [Worthy] or Sam [Perkins], and, Jimmy, the cross-court pass will be there to Michael.’ As it turned out, Michael’s whole side of the court was wide open because they were chasing James. If Michael had missed, Sam would’ve been the hero because he’d have had the rebound.”

Smith was at his best in that huddle, so calming that assistant Roy Williams recalled glancing at the scoreboard, thinking surely he must have misread it. The way Smith was talking, Carolina must have the lead, Williams remembered thinking. As the team broke from the huddle, Smith gave Jordan a pat and said, “Knock it in, Michael.”

As Dean Smith called it, the cross-court pass was there to Jordan. The remarkable thing to me watching it back, is how Jordan takes the shot with no hesitation, perfectly in rhythm. This isn't the Jordan we know today, it's the freshman 3rd option on the team, with a shot for the national championship. I'd seen the shot several times, but watching the full game, when the ball came to him I expected him to hesitate, just for a second, but he doesn't. Surely Dean Smith's comments to MJ as they left the huddle contributed to that.

Smith had previously lost 3 NCAA Championship finals, and been to the Final Four 6 times without winning, and was jeered by opposing fans as a choker. So I guess he owed something to MJ as well for hitting that shot as well.

You can watch the whole game here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIY7vAjCCDQ

I watched it recently when I came to that part of the book. A bit different to a modern NBA game, no shot-clock or 3-point line. If you want to some check it out, I'd recommend joining at half time. It's tied at half-time and the second half is better. A number of future NBA stars on the court...MJ, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, a freshman Patrick Ewing and Eric 'Sleepy' Floyd.

Would recommend Lazenby's book as well. Another bit that speaks to Smith's character....
    The odds on another title [the following season] might have been better had Dean Smith been a bit more selfish and persuaded James Worthy to stay at North Carolina for his senior year.

However, the coach continued to prize the success of his players above his own, even perhaps above the team’s. Another coach would have pointed out to Worthy that the Tar Heels were on the brink of winning back-to-back national championships. With Worthy, the school would be returning a team with four starters, a team that could make real history. Yet instead of exerting any sort of pressure to keep Worthy in school, Smith began researching Worthy’s prospects for the upcoming NBA draft.

When he learned that Worthy was likely to be the top pick, he dutifully advised him to claim “hardship” status and enter the draft. The risk of injury and the loss of huge sums were too great for Worthy to continue to play amateur basketball. It was a remarkable display of integrity from Smith, another reason his players held him in such esteem. Five seasons earlier he had done the same for point guard Phil Ford, had all but insisted that he turn professional after his junior season, Art Chansky recalled. Ford, however, declined to leave, explaining to Smith, “Who’s going to tell my mother?” He came back to Carolina and was player of the year that final season.

Worthy’s family also prized education, but Smith emphasized that the prudent step was to enter the draft. Worthy was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers as the top overall pick.

D2D wrote: »
    Woj is saying the deal has stalled as Cousin's camp is against Karl taking over the Kings

That appears to be untrue and it's more to do with money, as in Karls asking price. Looks like it's up to the ownership today as to whether they'll pay

http://deadspin.com/dominique-wilkins-tells-a-solid-larry-bird-trash-talk-s-1684758554?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

well worth a read its dominique telling a story about larry bird trash talking him very funny
    "One of the first times I ever played against him, I went out for the opening tip and I went to shake his hand. He just stood there and looked at me stone-faced with his hands behind his back," Wilkins said recently.

"I was like, 'Whoa.' Then we were getting ready for the tip and he says to me, 'You don't belong in this league, Homes.' I couldn't believe it, but it happened so fast, I didn't know what to think.

"Then they had the ball and I was on him and he said, 'I don't know why they got you guarding me, Homes. You can't guard me.' Then, whap, he hit a 3. Then he came down again and said, 'They made a mistake putting you on me, Homes,' and he took another 3."

Getting into the story, Wilkins began to act things out with his facial expressions.

"So now I'm hot," he said. "I'm hot. I mean, I'm steaming.

"Then a little while later, I came down on a break and he was backpedaling. I just went right after him. I jumped up and he tried to challenge, but I took that right through the rim. He fell and hit the basket support.

"He got up and said, 'I like you, rookie. You've got(guts).' I was happy for a second, and then he said, 'But I'm still going for 40 on you tonight.' "

He then paused the story, stepped back and smiled.

"But I got him," Wilkins said. "He only scored 39."

hard to beat Larry Legend for the trash talking alright. Nearly everyone who played against Bird has a story about him. Kobe (KOBE!) said he was the greatest trash talker ever. That's some compliment given Kobe's record!

Yeah Bird is a bit of a legend for the trash talk. This is my favourite.
    During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him.

During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, “Merry f**king Christmas!”, and then the shot went in. This was no doubt inspired by Person (nicknamed the “Rifleman”) stating prior to the game that “The Rifleman is Coming, and He’s Going Bird Hunting.”

Taken from this list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement