Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

GM LeBron James has traded Dion Waiters to the Knicks for JR Smith. JR has given us nothing for a year and a half, good riddance! Knicks will tank rest of season away now(which they were doing a good job of anyway!) you'd imagine now, Melo's mythical troublesome knee is unlikely to get better this season(why should I, he might as well rest up, then chase empty wins.) Expect him to be ruled out for season. For Cava I don't like this at all, what they needed was a rim protector. Their unlikely to get that now after trading away a crucial trade asset. Who else can the Cavs trade to get a rim protector now? Your not going to parlay that into anything like a decent centre. Cava don't really improve much here, plus Smith is a borderline cancer, is a minus on defense and like Waiters is extremely streaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Looks like Waiters is actually going to OKC and Reggie Jackson is going to the Knicks. Shumpert and JR Smith to the Cavs, Dalembert and a couple of Cavs bench players in the talks as well.

EDIT: Now it's uncertain about Reggie Jackson, loads of information spewing out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

@HowardBeck: If the Knicks just unloaded JR Smith, as @WojYahooNBA is reporting, I put Phil Jackson in the lead for executive of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Woj hasn't a clue where Reggie Jackson is headed, loads of details to emerge it would seem!

Did that trade just break twitter?

• Advertisement

Word now is Knicks acquiring 3 players in this trade plus s future 2nd rounder. 3 new players all to be waived tomorrow. Jackson is not coming to New York. Phil has completely blown it up, and I think he's done the right thing. Woj, saying that OKC are sending a protected first rounder to Knicks. Could Reggie be staying put? Surely not, that would mean OKC paying the tax, which they never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Getting rid of Waiters and getting in J.R.
    The Cavs are now on the ROFLcopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

For all the hate of JR Smith, he would have a minimal role as a shooter/bench scorer. The Cavs can start Shumpert for defensive purposes and then keep JR in the game if he's hot. Its better than what they currently have, and you have to take into effect that they'll be playing with Lebron. So that will help them tremendously.

And on another point, what about the Pistons. They were 5-23 before the Josh Smith waive, have won 5 straight, including 3 on the road, by an average margin of 18.2. That is an insane turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

NufcNavan wrote: »
    For all the hate of JR Smith, he would have a minimal role as a shooter/bench scorer. The Cavs can start Shumpert for defensive purposes and then keep JR in the game if he's hot. Its better than what they currently have, and you have to take into effect that they'll be playing with Lebron. So that will help them tremendously.

And on another point, what about the Pistons. They were 5-23 before the Josh Smith waive, have won 5 straight, including 3 on the road, by an average margin of 18.2. That is an insane turnaround.

JR will shoot 4 threes in a row.
    LeBron will start on him.
    JR will shoot LeBron.
    With a gun.

ahhhhh who the hell are we supposed to trade jeff green to now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Amazing what getting rid of josh smith can do. Hawks are flying too. :pac:
    Pistons at San Antonio tonight should put things in perspective though.

I've never really believed in GSW as title contenders, but the way they've been tearing it up, I'm actually starting to buy it. Of course one injury to curry and it's up in smoke, but till then . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Genius move from Phil Jackson for actually getting a team to take JR Smith and his contract, that and Shumpert gone clears up a ton of cap space now.

Very happy that we got Shumpert (and that incredible high top). Realistically, he has to start 2 guard for us now. JR Smith, I genuinely don't know what to expect. If his mind is in it, he's a handy player to come off the bench, maybe spark a run and get you points. If his head isn't in it though is the problem. Still though, can only wait and see what happens.

If there's ever a more fitting description of Dion and his time at the Cavs it's last night, minutes to go to tip off in front of his own city and he gets traded :/

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

As a Knick fan I like this trade. Offloading JR is amazing in itself! I like Shump but unfortunately he's collateral damage in this one. Next year there should be enough room to sign 2 genuine superstars!

[quote="Mongo;93712941"Next year there should be enough room to sign 2 genuine superstars![/quote]

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mongo wrote: »
    As a Knick fan I like this trade. Offloading JR is amazing in itself! I like Shump but unfortunately he's collateral damage in this one. Next year there should be enough room to sign 2 genuine superstars!

Yup…..just like when you signed Melo and STAT. That worked out well didn't it?

The Knicks are in such disarray at the moment they'll fu*k up whatever trade they try to make or whoever they sign…..even with Phil Jackson at the helm.

Great game between the Rockets & Bulls last night. The Bulls had had a few bad games over the Christmas, and Rose in particular was playing poorly, not aggressive at all, shooting jump-shots and missing most of them. They'd narrowly scraped some wins against poor oppostion, and lost by 20 to the Nets.

I wasn't optimistic about this one at all. They came out sharp though, Gasol had 18 first-quarter points against Howard, Rose was being aggressive again, attacking the rim. First half finished 62-62, which I kind of find amazing because at any time in the last few years, if the Bulls had conceded 62 in a half, they'd be down 15 or 20. Obviously you'd like to concede less than 62, but it's good to know we can match these high-scoring teams now.

First half, Hinrich was on James Harden most of the time, and Harden shot 7-13. Second half they put Butler on him, and if you want to see a defensive masterclass, watch Butler on Harden in the 2nd half of that game. Harden went 0-9 in the 2nd half, and the guy who has the most free-throw attempts in the league shot just 3 free throws all game, one of which was a technical. Just an awesome defensive performance from Jimmy, and great discipline to do it without fouling.

The Bulls trailed with 5 minutes to go (Rockets played a really good game, their fast-break causing the Bulls defensive problems), but the Bulls went on a 19-5 run to finish the game with offensive contributions from Rose, Mirotic, Butler & Gasol. I thought this was one of the best performances of the season, because the Rockets were playing at a high level themselves. Good to get back on track after a few flat games.

The Knicks are in such disarray at the moment they'll fu*k up whatever trade they try to make or whoever they sign…..even with Phil Jackson at the helm.
    First year and all, but NO ONE but Phil gets away with the year the Knicks are having in NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I'm just saying that trading the cancer that is JR away and clearing house a bit more is a good move. No need to be condescending about it. I'm trying to be optimistic about the future. Yeah it's a mess within the organisation but hopefully they can get it together on the court.

the appeal of ny with phil at the helm could well attract players provided there idiot owner keeps his mouth shut there is potential there at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

The tank is fully on in NY it seems! Must be for bench strength for the Cavs, thinking longterm to the playoffs and long difficult slug match series that a spark off the bench (such as JR can produce) be all the difference.

Also Waitors going to the Thunder had my scratching my head. With Russy, Durant, Reggie Jackson and now Waitors.. lots of shooting. And I can see Waitors causing problems there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

the appeal of ny with phil at the helm could well attract players provided there idiot owner keeps his mouth shut there is potential there at least

More chance of me being drafted #1 next year than Dolan staying quiet.

Mongo wrote: »
    I'm just saying that trading the cancer that is JR away and clearing house a bit more is a good move. No need to be condescending about it. I'm trying to be optimistic about the future. Yeah it's a mess within the organisation but hopefully they can get it together on the court.

Wasn't being condescending dude, chill a little.

If you've read any of my posts on the Knicks you'll know who I believe is the main problem. Given the history of the organization in the last 15-20 years but in particular say the last 5, they will struggle to attract the really top talent - despite having Phil and despite it being NY. The fallout of not getting the the really top talent is teams then tend to overpay for the next in line/tier 2 players - and the cycle perpetuates itself.

Melo is not a guy you can build a team around so I'd ask the question why bother keeping him? Apparently he's the only player on the roster not on the trade block, but I really don't see the point ion keeping him at this stage. He's only going to get older from now on and his productivity will most likely be in year on year decline from now on.

They should just blow the whole thing up and start accumulating picks like Boston and really build.

Melo is a once in a generation talent though, you hold onto him as long as you can. He's and unreal shooter and a good few players (Paul Pierce for example) name him as a nightmare player to guard. Amare's contract is impossible to shift with his injuries so that's only reason he's still there

Melo is a once in a generation talent though, you hold onto him as long as you can. He's and unreal shooter and a good few players (Paul Pierce for example) name him as a nightmare player to guard. Amare's contract is impossible to shift with his injuries so that's only reason he's still there

Read back on my previous posts on Melo fro last season and the season before that and you'll see why he part of the problem and not the solution on this time. I'm not retyping all of the reasons - as there are so many.

I'm not debating he's not a supremely talented individual - but that's actually the core of what's wrong. He's an individual, not a team player, and certainly not a guy you can build a team around. That manifested it clearly last summer when he had a real chance to join a contender (Chicago) but took the money and adulation in NY instead of buckling down and really going for a ring under Thibs. We're not talking about a guy who was making a life changing financial decision here, we're talking about a multi-multi-millionaire. That decision spoke volumes about his "mé féin" attitude. Not even the most optimistic Knicks fan would have said last summer that the Knicks would be contenders this or for the next few years.

That's true actually I forgot about his offers during the summer. I do remember his reasons being Jackson and a longterm plan on NY but then again he has history of signing a large deal and forcing a trade.

Also a little off topic but might help others out who recently got a ps4 and noticed there's no league pass app.. from the NBA tech support themselves:
    Hello,

The NBA Game Time PS3/PS4 application is available for International League Pass now, however you will need to create an account for either Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan or Thailand. If you do not have one for these countries please follow these steps.

1) Go to USERS ---> CREATE NEW USER

2) Select the name you want under that user and select OK. Then select your newly created user, the PS3 will ask you to log out of your selected account, click YES.

3) Go to PSN and select SIGN UP

4) Click CREATE NEW ACCOUNT and follow the prompts
    -Date of Birth
    -Online ID (must be different from your current ID)
    -Email/Password (If your Email is attached to your current ID you will need to create an account with a different Email)
    -Name/Address (The address does not need to be a billing address and just needs to be in the country listed above)

5) Once you created an account, go to the Playstation Store and do a search for NBA Game Time and download the application. Then you can use the application and sign into the application with your NBA Game Time username and password.

If you are still having issues with logging in please let us know.

Thank You

NBA GAME TIME MOBILE Support

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Tim Mozgov to the Cavs for a first rounder and other trade assets. Via Marc Stein.

Much needed for the Cavs. High price though.

We live in a world where Timofey Mozgov is worth two first round picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jalock20

This might be jumping the gun a little but, Pistons are on a bit of a streak? Playoff chances? Maybe sneak in as an 8th seed in a pretty weak Eastern Conference? I know they're 4 games back from it but they've offloaded Josh Smith which seems to have been a positive. More momentum and an injury for Miami could see them sneak in? Tell me I'm stupid I've a feeling I could be on this haha!

• Advertisement

We live in a world where Timofey Mozgov is worth two first round picks.

He is if he helps them win a Championship. Of course they overpaid but if he gives them the height and inside presence they need (esp. with Varejao out) and they win, then its a good move. In the NBA, if you're loaded talent wise in certain positions like the Cavs you have to win NOW, not build for the future.

I keep saying this folks, LeJon is on a 2 year contract. You can be sure Dan Gilbert and co. will do anything to win a Championship in that time. ANYTHING. I don't expect this to be the last move they'll make either before the Play Offs.

Advertisement