Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

i just realised how incompetent billy king is he's had a lot of bad trades but i had forgotten he traded the damian lillard pick for gerald wallace :eek: thats an all time bad trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just realised (my bad on this as a Celtics fan) that Green went to Memphis and not the Timberwolves - not sure how I messed that up in my head but I did. Good acquisition for them as they needed a small forward who can score. They're going all in it seems this year for Marc Gasol, even though he's said he's not going anywhere. They are a team no-one in the West will want to play come play off time - big, bruising, excellent rebounding team, slow tempo, emphasis on D. Nightmare……as their last few play off appearances have confined for their opponents.

Lil Nate back to Boston for Jameer Nelson. Surprised at this myself from Denver's perspective.

Well now I've seen it all……Mo Williams - yes, that Mo Williams…scored 52 (not a typo) last night. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well now I've seen it all……Mo Williams - yes, that Mo Williams…scored 52 (not a typo) last night. :eek::eek::eek:
    You should have seen some of the garbage he threw up as well. And he kept making them. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    You should have seen some of the garbage he threw up as well. And he kept making them. Ridiculous.

I did! Brick city. :(:mad::eek::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Good news: LeBron is back:)
    Bad news: Loss to the Suns:(
    Worse news: We've gone 1-9 in our last 10 games:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NufcNavan wrote: »

What were Indiana at, guys on a hot streak and even in the 4th, they kept leaving him open. Had to laugh at the Indiana crowd chanting "defence" when no-one on the court appeared to have any comprehension of what that was.

lil bates back baby i hope we dont buy him out really like him.

also what do ye all think are the chances of the suns, thunder and spurs overtaking the clippers in the west? bonston have there pick unprotected so it would be sweet to have 2 lottery picks

that mo williams game is insane iv seen players "get hot" but never like that

iv herd a few people "in the know" (for all thats worth) say lebron has half given up on this season (and is looking at the silver lining that he finally gets a short year) and is going to give this year a go but is already concentrating on next year

also its worth noting lebron has played far far more minutes than any 30 year old in nba history so that could be a factor in his alleged decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

iv herd a few people "in the know" (for all thats worth) say lebron has half given up on this season (and is looking at the silver lining that he finally gets a short year) and is going to give this year a go but is already concentrating on next year

also its worth noting lebron has played far far more minutes than any 30 year old in nba history so that could be a factor in his alleged decline

I remember thinking earlier in his career that his game wouldn't age well. Because what made him dominant was his combination of size and speed/athleticism. I softened on that somewhat, because he did develop a better jump-shot & passing ability. But he still never developed a great post-game (unlike MJ & Kobe, which allowed them to perform well into their 30s), which you kinda need to do if you're to score inside after your athleticism declines.

Mentioning Gerald Walace recently, that was why his game went off a cliff, it was all about his athleticism (just looking there...Wallace is 32, 6'7, 220lb, Lebron is 30, 6'8, 250lb). Lebron has more skills than Wallace so it won't be as drastic, but I think he may experience a related decline (even if it's mitigated to an extent by his other skills).

As for giving up on this season...I'm pretty cynical about Lebron, but I don't believe it. Your career is short, and you don't give up on seasons when you're 30 (unless you're Carmelo).

• Advertisement

D2D wrote: »
    Good news: LeBron is back:)
    Bad news: Loss to the Suns:(
    Worse news: We've gone 1-9 in our last 10 games:mad:

At least things are going well behind the scenes...

The Cavaliers are reportedly ignoring play calls from their coaching staff

LeBron James Shoved David Blatt Out of the Way to Save Him From a Technical Foul

padraig_f wrote: »

****ing disaster started by lebron he really needs to cop on

Good game between the Bulls and Wizards last night. Bit of a rivalry developing between the two since the playoff series last year. And right now, you have to say the Wizards are better, having beaten the Bulls twice in the last week. The Bulls played well in the first half, but it was one of those games where you're a bit worried with a lead, because you've played really well and are only up 6 at half-time. The Bulls shooting cooled off in the 2nd half, and the Wizards overtook them in the 3rd quarter, with all 5 starters finishing in double figures.

The Wizards have a very balanced roster, and it's a good matchup for them, Nene guards Gasol well, plays him physically, and doesn't let him get in close. No-one faster than John Wall on the fast-break, which allows them to score before the Bulls defense gets set.

And you have to take your hat off the Wizards GM, built a great roster there. Good balance in both size and athleticism, and also in youth and experience, with some quality vets like Pierce, Andre Miller, Kris Humphries & Rasual Butler to back up their core players.

I think the Bulls can get to a point where they can beat them. Dunleavy/McDermott being out is hurting them, both in 3-point shooting and in floor-spacing for Butler, who's numbers have really gone down since Dunleavy's injury. But they're not gonna beat them at 80%, will need to get closer to 100%.

Brooklyn and OKC and potentially a 3rd team in Lopez to OKC trade. Having seen him okay in the flesh, would be a good offensive move for OKC IF he can stay healthy.

Harden goes for 31 and 10 against OKC last night. I've said it before and I'll likely say it again - that was a seriously dumb move by OKC to let him go.

Harden goes for 31 and 10 against OKC last night. I've said it before and I'll likely say it again - that was a seriously dumb move by OKC to let him go.

Looking at the box-score, lol, guess who took the most shots for OKC?

Durant? Westbrook? Ibaka?

Guess again.

Brooklyn and OKC and potentially a 3rd team in Lopez to OKC trade. Having seen him okay in the flesh, would be a good offensive move for OKC IF he can stay healthy.

if they lose durant the harden trade will be the reason

nets need young talent and picks back they have nothing to build with for years
    padraig_f wrote: »
    Looking at the box-score, lol, guess who took the most shots for OKC?

Durant? Westbrook? Ibaka?

Guess again.

ohh dion come on mate he's not gong to keep getting 31 mins like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

****ing disaster started by lebron he really needs to cop on

Reggie Miller said it during the Lakers/Cavs game, LeBron needs to get his head set and act as the leader of this team. All the rumours of Blatt losing the team etc.... could all be stopped if LeBron just said he trusts him and the team.

On court, a good win against the Lakers to stop the 6 game losing streak. LeBron went for 36, Kyrie had 22 and Love had 17. Kobe went on to set his career highs in assists with 17. Back to Staples again tonight for the Clippers.

Seems Lance is gone from the Hornets. ESPN reporting a 3 team trade between the Thunder, Nets and Hornets is in the works. Right now, it looks like Lance goes back to his hometown of Brooklyn, Brook Lopez heads to OKC and both Jeremy Lamb and Jarrett Jack will go to Charlotte. Perkins might also be included as the Thunder and the Nets previously had talks about a trade.

Reggie Miller said it during the Lakers/Cavs game, LeBron needs to get his head set and act as the leader of this team. All the rumours of Blatt losing the team etc.... could all be stopped if LeBron just said he trusts him and the team.

On court, a good win against the Lakers to stop the 6 game losing streak. LeBron went for 36, Kyrie had 22 and Love had 17. Kobe went on to set his career highs in assists with 17. Back to Staples again tonight for the Clippers.

he's right outside of maby pat riley/phil jackson its starting to look like he won't listen to an coach and thats ****ing stupid he needs to grow up i really thought he was past this kind of stuff

incidentally jalen rose put out a stat the other day he names i think 5 guys among them pat riley/phil jackson/red auerbach and i can't remember the other 2 but between them they have been involved in about 85 percent of nba championships (sorry thats vague it was a few weeks ago i heard it) it really heightened how big a task he has getting his team to win a championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

he's right outside of maby pat riley/phil jackson its starting to look like he won't listen to an coach and thats ****ing stupid he needs to grow up i really thought he was past this kind of stuff

incidentally jalen rose put out a stat the other day he names i think 5 guys among them pat riley/phil jackson/red auerbach and i can't remember the other 2 but between them they have been involved in about 85 percent of nba championships (sorry thats vague it was a few weeks ago i heard it) it really heightened how big a task he has getting his team to win a championship

pop was the other one, Those 4 guys have been involved in more than half of all nba titles. 39 out of 62 or something like that

ec18 wrote: »
    pop was the other one, Those 4 guys have been involved in more than half of all nba titles. 39 out of 62 or something like that

there you go i was way off :D still it just goes to show how important it is any goodwill lebron got with me is quickly disappearing (and I'm a celtics fan it was hard earned day 1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

there you go i was way off :D still it just goes to show how important it is any goodwill lebron got with me is quickly disappearing (and I'm a celtics fan it was hard earned day 1)

Being a cynic I always thought the coming home stuff from Lebron was BS and pure PR stunt. Prodigal son coming home sob story that the americans love :P But that's just me. I would have preferred if he stayed in Miami.

I think Kevin Love will leave at the end of the season as well. Maybe to the Lakers :p

ec18 wrote: »
    Being a cynic I always thought the coming home stuff from Lebron was BS and pure PR stunt. Prodigal son coming home sob story that the americans love :P But that's just me. I would have preferred if he stayed in Miami.

I think Kevin Love will leave at the end of the season as well. Maybe to the Lakers :p

i dont know i genuinely though he was growing up. at times i feel bad for the guys getting all the press and the saviour title at that young an age so i though he hit a point where he became an adult.....i was wrong.

and feck off with love to the lakers rebuild like a normal team for a change :mad:

The Love to Lakers rumors have been around for years but Love is on the record as saying he's opting in with Cleveland next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Seems Lance is gone from the Hornets. ESPN reporting a 3 team trade between the Thunder, Nets and Hornets is in the works. Right now, it looks like Lance goes back to his hometown of Brooklyn, Brook Lopez heads to OKC and both Jeremy Lamb and Jarrett Jack will go to Charlotte. Perkins might also be included as the Thunder and the Nets previously had talks about a trade.

HaHa, they won't get rid of him that easily.
    That trade is dead in the water, as Nets don't want to be left holding the Lance Stephenson bag.

OKC working on a straight swap now. Lopez for Perkins plus whatever the thunder can find down the back of the sofa :pac:

BQQ wrote: »
    HaHa, they won't get rid of him that easily.
    That trade is dead in the water, as Nets don't want to be left holding the Lance Stephenson bag.

OKC working on a straight swap now. Lopez for Perkins plus whatever the thunder can find down the back of the sofa :pac:

Smart move by OKC to keep Lamb sorry, Adams(!) - solid guy that I've been impressed with on limited minutes. Brings a steely toughness and unlike Perk can actually do layups. :D

Although surely Brooklyn wouldn't be dumb enough to do a straight swap Lopez for Perk? An All Star for….Perk? And I say that as a Boston fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Smart move by OKC to keep Lamb - solid guy that I've been impressed with on limited minutes. Brings a steely toughness and unlike Perk can actually do layups. :D

Although surely Brooklyn wouldn't be dumb enough to do a straight swap Lopez for Perk? An All Star for….Perk? And I say that as a Boston fan!

I think the Nets are intent on blowing it all up. Williams to the Kings has been discussed and I believe they're open to offers on Johnson too.

That said, I'm sure they'd be wanting a pick or two along with Perk's expiring contract.

BQQ wrote: »
    I think the Nets are intent on blowing it all up. Williams to the Kings has been discussed and I believe they're open to offers on Johnson too.

That said, I'm sure they'd be wanting a pick or two along with Perk's expiring contract.

They kinda have to…….(blow it all up).

Wouldn't touch D-Will and his contract with DRD's pole. ;)

Posted on this a few months back that they really have no option at this stage but to blow it up but they will struggle to move guys like Williams and Johnson primarily due to the contracts unless someone wants a sign and waive to clear space.

Lopez is a fantastic player if he can stay healthy but I still think he's not enough to bring OKC to the promised land.

Losing Harden unnecessarily like they did will be the biggest "what if?" in NBA history after the Blazers passing on Jordan. They said they couldn't afford it. Well if you won even one Championship with Harden, Durant and Westbrook no-one would ever mention luxury tax. Presti hedged his bets and lost big time on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

They kinda have to…….(blow it all up).

Wouldn't touch D-Will and his contract with DRD's pole. ;)

Posted on this a few months back that they really have no option at this stage but to blow it up but they will struggle to move guys like Williams and Johnson primarily due to the contracts unless someone wants a sign and waive to clear space.

Lopez is a fantastic player if he can stay healthy but I still think he's not enough to bring OKC to the promised land.

Losing Harden unnecessarily like they did will be the biggest "what if?" in NBA history after the Blazers passing on Jordan. They said they couldn't afford it. Well if you won even one Championship with Harden, Durant and Westbrook no-one would ever mention luxury tax. Presti hedged his bets and lost big time on this one.

That isn't hapenning. There is no precedent for any team ever trading for and then immediately waiving a max contract. Joe Johnson's contract isn't even an expiring, if a team were to pay him they would have to pay over half of the 23 million owed to him this year, and then the full 25 million for next year. No GM in the NBA could sell a trade to an owner which involves the owner paying over 36 million dollars, and the player doesn't even take the court. No owner could accept paying a guy not to play for 36 million, just to create money to pay someother guy huge money. Fair enough, a GM might waive a player who is expering, and earning under 10 million or so, but no way would an owner agree to what I laid out above.
    It just wouldn't happen.

buyer95 wrote: »
    That isn't hapenning. There is no precedent for any team ever trading for and then immediately waiving a max contract. Joe Johnson's contract isn't even an expiring, if a team were to pay him they would have to pay over half of the 23 million owed to him this year, and then the full 25 million for next year. No GM in the NBA could sell a trade to an owner which involves the owner paying over 36 million dollars, and the player doesn't even take the court. No owner could accept paying a guy not to play for 36 million, just to create money to pay someother guy huge money. Fair enough, a GM might waive a player who is expering, and earning under 10 million or so, but no way would an owner agree to what I laid out above.
    It just wouldn't happen.

2 words for you - Josh Smith (lol).

There's always a first time, and I was referring to D Will more than Johnson. Johnson could do an off the bench role for a contender; Williams stock has plummeted so much I do believe he will struggle to generate any interest at his price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

2 words for you - Josh Smith (lol).

There's always a first time, and I was referring to D Will more than Johnson. Johnson could do a job off the bench role for a contender; Williams stock has plummeted so much I do believe he will struggle to generate any interest at his price tag.
    Johnson has a terrible contract but remains a very effective player, and would be a great addition to a contender, I totally agree there. But I don't think any team would buy him out ala Josh Smith. Smith just isn't very good at basketball, he shoots less than 40% from the field and shockingly circa 20% from three for his career. And I don't need to tell you that Smith does not shy away from the three point shot. He takes too many shots, creates spacing issues and has lost a lot of his athleticism that made him a good player in Atlanta. Smith just isn't that good at basketball anymore, and SVG just could not handle having a player like Smith around the franchise anymore. Even still, SVG probably should not have cut him, it was quite a rash decision. The NBA is a business and not every owner is willing to write off big money contracts( or even pay the tax when the team is a contender, see Bulls and OKC) However I take your point that it not impossible. Completely agree on D Will, he's a shell of his former self. It was widely reported that the Kings entered serious trade discussions with the Nets on Mason Plumlee but the Nets would only play ball if Sac agreed to swallow Williams contract. Shows how far Williams' stock has fallen, and in my opinion rightly so. We're in the era of the point guard, the proliferation of talent at the position makes his stock plummet even further.

Advertisement