Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Yeah. They're still playing hard and even though they're 2-6 (?) they are not being blown out in any game so far. Any team under Vogel will be well organised defensively and rebound. Most of the games have been neck and neck say til the mid 4th quarter. It's just when it comes to going down the stretch the quality isn't there at the moment.

I'd be hopeful that when Hill, West and Stuckey come back that the team can contend for the lower seeds. It is the East after all.

And I don't think he's a bad coach, but just think he's had his chance and come up short. They had opportunities the last couple of years, with Rose out, with Bosh being injured in the playoffs two years ago, and Miami wearing down last year, which they lost with home-court advantage. That and the complete collapse at the end of last season when the offense was unwatchably bad was I thought enough to look elsewhere.

You don't get much better chances to make the finals than the East in the last couple of years. When they re-signed him, I thought they condemned themselves to be a decent, but not great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Raptors going really well atm, poor enough last night but still pulled through, 8 games in and yet to score under 100pts in a game:cool:

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Raptors going really well atm, poor enough last night but still pulled through, 8 games in and yet to score under 100pts in a game:cool:

Bulls-Raptors tomorrow, top of the table clash :)

The Bulls have had an easy schedule so far, so looking forward to see how they do against a good team.

Knicks 2-7 after losing at home to the Magic, keep getting dem cheques Melo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Unexpected but welcome win for the pacers against the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Unexpected but welcome win for the pacers against the heat.

Was just a strange game in gereral. Both teams were poor shooting wise and a half empty arena just looked awful on tv

Really looking forward to Bulls/Raptors in a few hours, should be great game

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

First time posting in this. Became a big NBA fan after spending a summer in states a few years back. Havent seen the highlights but good win for the bulls. GSW looking strong aswel. Anyone think they could surprise the west this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

As dwayne casey said" the 3rd quarter done us in" , it was a shambles tbf, 2 loses now against heat and bull suggests we are still a bit off the big boys

Good win for the Bulls, about the best performance this year, and approaching their potential now. Gasol had a monster game, 27 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, in just 35 mins. Noah looked very good as well after a slow start to the season. That front-court has the potential to cause teams some major problems.

A lot of fuss about Rose rolling his ankle at the end of the game. I'm as concerned as anyone about Rose's health, but the media reaction is a bit overboard. As Noah said after the game "Everybody needs to chill the **** out"....

B2ZJxy8CQAACmrv.png

• Advertisement

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    First time posting in this. Became a big NBA fan after spending a summer in states a few years back. Havent seen the highlights but good win for the bulls. GSW looking strong aswel. Anyone think they could surprise the west this year?
    It wouldn't be that much of a surprise if the GSW won the West. They have been a strong playoff team for 3 years now. I think they have a great chance.

A team I wouldn't sleep on taking the West is the Mavs.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Good win for the Bulls, about the best performance this year, and approaching their potential now. Gasol had a monster game, 27 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, in just 35 mins. Noah looked very good as well after a slow start to the season. That front-court has the potential to cause teams some major problems.

A lot of fuss about Rose rolling his ankle at the end of the game. I'm as concerned as anyone about Rose's health, but the media reaction is a bit overboard. As Noah said after the game "Everybody needs to chill the **** out"....

B2ZJxy8CQAACmrv.png

to be fair i think peoples issues with the comments are less that he's sitting out and more the reasons he gave if he had said he's resting for the playoffs or that he wanted to make sure he was 100 percent back nobody would have said anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

to be fair i think peoples issues with the comments are less that he's sitting out and more the reasons he gave if he had said he's resting for the playoffs or that he wanted to make sure he was 100 percent back nobody would have said anything

I'm a fan of his comments about life after basketball.....

ec18 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of his comments about life after basketball.....

the arguments iv heard on american radio/espn have been that he does not play nfl/boxing/ufc while he may end up with bad ankles/knees after basketball so do many trades/navy/military etc and they dont get 90 mil contracts. i can understand both sides of the argument but i think he was very foolish to make the comments

There's tanking and then there's the 2014-15 Sixers team, who only lost by 53 last night...... Have to be up there as 1 of the worst teams to ever walk onto a court

D2D wrote: »
    There's tanking and then there's the 2014-15 Sixers team, who only lost by 53 last night...... Have to be up there as 1 of the worst teams to ever walk onto a court

is there an nba rule against bringing the game into disrepute, i feel if there is any way the 6ers should be fined huge money. they are probably right in what there doing they actually have the makings of a monster team but its horrific they way they are doing it.

Yeah, they weren't the smartest comments, I accept that, but I didn't think twice about them. My attitude more is to judge players on their actions. If someone is shown to be lacking commitment on what they do, that's more fair game.

Ah it's just media saturation, someone makes a clumsy comment these days and it generates 10 different headlines with all the different outlets.

is there an nba rule against bringing the game into disrepute, i feel if there is any way the 6ers should be fined huge money. they are probably right in what there doing they actually have the makings of a monster team but its horrific they way they are doing it.

It's disgraceful and a stain on the sport as a whole. I don't think the 76ers should be sanctioned though, it's the structure that incentivises losing that's at fault. You can't have a competition structure that incentivises losing, and then punish teams for doing what they think benefits them in the long term.

The NBA are aware of it. They had a proposal to revise the lottery a couple of months ago, where the bottom 10 teams would have very similar lottery odds, but it was voted down. I don't think it was that teams were against it necessarily, they just wanted to review it.

I presume there will be a revised proposal, but in the meantime it is pretty repulsive to see a team whose gameplan is to lose games for seasons at a time.

padraig_f wrote: »
    It's disgraceful and a stain on the sport as a whole. I don't think the 76ers should be sanctioned though, it's the structure that incentivises losing that's at fault. You can't have a competition structure that incentivises losing, and then punish teams for doing what they think benefits them in the long term.

The NBA are aware of it. They had a proposal to revise the lottery a couple of months ago, where the bottom 10 teams would have very similar lottery odds, but it was voted down. I don't think it was that teams were against it necessarily, they just wanted to review it.

I presume there will be a revised proposal, but in the meantime it is pretty repulsive to see a team whose gameplan is to lose games for seasons at a time.
    Roumer has it that was only turned down as it would have been done mid season and if/when done this offseason will likely pass

After a quarter and a half of play they only have 14 points :O that must be a record or some sort?

• Advertisement

Roumer has it that was only turned down as it would have been done mid season and if/when done this offseason will likely pass

Didn't the Sixers and the other potential "tanking" teams turned down the proposal as it's so favorable to them as it is? I agree though, something has to change. Problem is, no matter what change can be made, the teams intent on just tanking will resist it as the current system is too favorable towards it.

Take being a Mavs fan from last night and paying around $30-60 to see your team face a Sixers side that are fully focused on tanking. Sure you'll get a laugh after the 1st quarter at how bad they really are but by the 3rd quarter, you've pretty much had enough.

The 2014-15 Christmas Day jerseys have been revealed. The jersey features the team logo and player number on the front and the player's number and their first name on the back

B2aq8fdCcAAaYGp.jpg:large

Really nice.

they spelt dwayne wrong

ec18 wrote: »
    they spelt dwayne wrong

I think it is actually spelt like that, thought it was wrong myself too at first.

I think the jerseys are horrible (I'm a traditionalist). Putting the name underneath the number seems wrong. First names - no. Don't like the reverse way they've printed the names either.

'Kevin' seems an incongruous name for a superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Kobe, lebron and Carmelo work. Others, not so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

76ers coach playing his part in the tanking last night. They're up by 3 with 35 seconds to go and he must have panicked, thinking 'Oh no, we're actually going to win' so he kicks the ball in the air towards the baseline for no apparent reason and receives a technical foul.

76ers coach playing his part in the tanking last night. They're up by 3 with 35 seconds to go and he must have panicked, thinking 'Oh no, we're actually going to win' so he kicks the ball in the air towards the baseline for no apparent reason and receives a technical foul.
    Sixers should be f*cked out for the year, be given no draft picks for next season and replaced by a D League team for the rest of the season. At least they'll play hard and try to win.

What about Kobe last night, 1-14. Sad to see his career go this way. Sure, he's putting up numbers, but he's doing it with a bad shooting percentage on a terrible team.

It's no longer about rings, it's about getting paid and saying "Look how much I can score in my 19th year".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What about Kobe last night, 1-14. Sad to see his career go this way. Sure, he's putting up numbers, but he's doing it with a bad shooting percentage on a terrible team.

It's no longer about rings, it's about getting paid and saying "Look how much I can score in my 19th year".

I think he knows his team is going nowhere so he's just going for the points to beat MJ's scoring record before he gets injured again. As big a fan I am of him, it does look like the blame for some of the losses can be put on him. So far he's scored like 26, 33, 39 but done it on 10/28 shooting and they lose by 5 or 7 points. Although you could then say if he didn't do the scoring then they wouldn't be within 5 points of winning in the first place.

Advertisement