Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dunleavy is behind Wade as the dirtiest player in the league IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

NufcNavan wrote: »

Dunleavy is behind Wade as the dirtiest player in the league IMO.

Meh, if Dunleavy is the 2nd dirtiest player in the league, the league doesn't have much of a problem with dirty play.
    Frustration flared early in the third when Mike Dunleavy committed a flagrant-one foul as Lillard attempted a 3-pointer. The play, which officials reviewed for a possible flagrant-two and ejection, angered Matthews, who shoved Dunleavy. Aaron Brooks rushed to Dunleavy’s defense, and he and Matthews drew offsetting technical fouls.

Dunleavy showed remorse afterward, saying he merely was trying to stop play because Joakim Noah had taken a shot to the face and was on the ground inside the paint.

“I felt bad,” Dunleavy said. “Jo went down and it looked like he got hit pretty hard so I was going to take an intentional foul. Lillard went up to shoot and it was one of those things where I got put in an awkward situation. He was in a shooting motion and at that point, I had to foul him hard because I didn’t want to give up a four-point play. It was just an awkward moment.

“He went up to shoot and at that point, what do you do? I’m not going to go for his legs or head. I just kind of went through his body, didn’t want him to make a 3. Nice kid. I got nothing against him. It was totally unintentional in terms of trying to hurt or injure somebody. I was just trying to intentionally foul him because Jo was lying in the paint.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-gameday-bulls-trail-blazers-spt-1122-20141121-story.html

He's committed a fair few flagrants down the years in Pacers games. I think he has something personal going on with Tyler Hansbrough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Dunleavy can come out with all the excuses he wants - he certainly has the PC answers down. Fact is, he IS one of the dirtiest players in the league, and it IS a problem. He doesn't have the reputation (I wonder why?), but he's filth. There's a reason Big Cuz despises him openly, there's been multiple occasions where Dunleavy has made strong non-basketball plays to entice confrontation. He causes problems and then cries wolf, constantly! Call it veteranship, call it savvy, call it what you want, but Dunleavy is not a clean player.

The basketball Gods seem to hate the Pacers and are cursing us with injuries for pissing away a great opportunity last year. It's gotten to the ridiculous stage now. The whole starting lineup? Really?

• Advertisement

moneyman wrote: »
    Dunleavy can come out with all the excuses he wants - he certainly has the PC answers down. Fact is, he IS one of the dirtiest players in the league, and it IS a problem. He doesn't have the reputation (I wonder why?), but he's filth. There's a reason Big Cuz despises him openly, there's been multiple occasions where Dunleavy has made strong non-basketball plays to entice confrontation. He causes problems and then cries wolf, constantly! Call it veteranship, call it savvy, call it what you want, but Dunleavy is not a clean player.
    Dunleavy's legitimately endangering people with his stupid sh*t. Seriously man, you pull that stuff he did on Lillard anywhere but an NBA/NCAA court that dude is getting smoked, and rightly so. One of Portland's end of the bench goons should have sat him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

He's committed a fair few flagrants down the years in Pacers games. I think he has something personal going on with Tyler Hansbrough too.

Hansbrough is a far dirtier player.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Hansbrough is a far dirtier player.
    I'd argue people only say that because of his hard nosed game and his image coming from UNC. Hansbrough plays hard and is awkward as fcuk but I don't recall him laying someone with a cheapshot like Dunleavy has in the past.

Dunleavy is a wing forward from Dookie who doesn't play a physical game so therefore his dirtiness gets under the radar, IMO. Shane Battier also benefited from his 'clean cut' game to escape the label of being one of the dirtiest players in the NBA.

I'd argue people only say that because of his hard nosed game and his image coming from UNC. Hansbrough plays hard and is awkward as fcuk but I don't recall him laying someone with a cheapshot like Dunleavy has in the past.

Dunleavy is a wing forward from Dookie who doesn't play a physical game so therefore his dirtiness gets under the radar, IMO. Shane Battier also benefited from his 'clean cut' game to escape the label of being one of the dirtiest players in the NBA.

I really got a good chuckle out of that. There are numerous examples of Hansbrough laying people out in a dirty fashion. Offhand the Valanciunus one comes to mind so I youtubed it. You can't say thats not a cheap shot.

Forgot about that actually. Seen that one live. That's bad on Hansbrough. Hansbrough plays a very physical game that I'll concede veers over the line of dirty sometimes. However, when Dunleavy tries to hurt someone it is a cheapshot move that cannot be justified at all by any reasonable interpretation of how to play basketball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

In fairness I don't think Hansbrough went out of his way to injure Jonas there. Obviously it was unnecessary to drag him to the ground but it's not really the same as some of the Dunleavy plays.

Also, I'm very excited for Suns @ Raptors tonight. Think it could be a great game. It's a real test for this Suns team after four relatively easy victories on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Whats going on with the raptors this year:eek:

The Bulls led by 20 in Salt Lake City and had to come from behind in the last minute to get a win. Solid win in the circumstances, Gibson was out and Rose was on a minutes restriction (probably mindful of playing a back-to-back in Denver tonight).

Mirotic is going great, Jazz commentators said if he got the minutes, he'd be rookie of the year.

Faring less well is Doug McDermott. I had concerns at draft time when I saw his DraftExpress video how well his game would translate to the NBA, and he's struggling. Just not contributing anything right now, even shooting. Whenever he's in the lineup, the Bulls seem to lose ground. Early days, you expect his shooting at least to come, but he's having a tough time right now.

Great game from Gasol back from injury.

Great game from Jimmy Butler too, who totally dominated Gordon Hayward. If Hayward got a max contract, then Jimmy's going to get one or close.

Think I'm exaggerating? NBA players sorted by wins produced (WP) this season:
    http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players?_=1339038931838&direction=desc&minimum=true&positions[]=C&positions[]=PG&positions[]=PF&positions[]=SF&positions[]=SG&sort=wins_produced

Butler currently in 7th, and an elite defender which those stats tend to understate.

It wasn't all good last night. The interior defense and rebounding was poor, which allowed the Jazz to come back into it. But having trailed with a minute to go, I'm happy with the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The 0-14 Sixers are just 5 games away from making history for the worst start in NBA history. Their next 5 games? They start with a 3 game homestand against the Nets, Mavs and Spurs before heading on the road for a game against Minny before welcoming the Thunder to Philly.

With plays like this, can this Philly side go down in history as the worst NBA team?

https://vine.co/v/O1gTXUIKbjQ

LOL. Imagine if the ref nailed the '3'.

Could MCW go down as the worst ROY in a long long time too?

Heck of a win for the Pacers. Zero starters from last year available. Still beat the Mavs on the road by 10. Vogel is doing such a good job at the moment keeping the scraps of a roster competitive.

In fairness at the speed of the game, he may have just got the colour of the Refs jersey mixed up with his teammate, they're kinda similar.

Early days, but just curious, NBA rookies' PER:
    RK	PLAYER                   GP	   MPG	   TS%          PER
    1	Aaron Gordon, ORL        11	   15.0	   .645 	15.53
    2	Jordan Clarkson, LAL     10	   12.2	   .529 	14.76
    3	Jabari Parker, MIL       14	   29.4	   .481 	13.43
    4	Nikola Mirotic, CHI      14	   15.3	   .567 	12.71
    5	K.J. McDaniels, PHI      14	   22.7	   .569 	12.33
    6	James Ennis, MIA         14	   13.3	   .563 	11.55
    7	Andrew Wiggins, MIN      12	   28.8	   .504 	11.35
    8	P.J. Hairston, CHA        8	   13.9	   .542 	11.08
    9	Shabazz Napier, MIA      14	   22.9	   .602 	11.03
    10	Nerlens Noel, PHI        12	   29.4	   .465 	10.87
    --
    11	Elfrid Payton, ORL       16	   23.8	   .397 	10.48
    12	Dante Exum, UTAH         15	   18.4	   .504 	10.03
    13	Bojan Bogdanovic, BKN    13	   30.7	   .538 	9.31
    14	Marcus Smart, BOS         5	   20.4	   .440 	9.07
    15	Joe Ingles, UTAH         15	   17.8	   .513 	8.66
    16	Kostas Papanikolaou, HOU 14	   25.3	   .432 	8.64
    17	Tarik Black, HOU         12	   16.0	   .482 	8.35
    18	Damjan Rudez, IND        14	   18.1	   .556 	7.35
    19	Travis Wear, NY          12	   10.4	   .416 	6.66
    20	Zach LaVine, MIN          9	   19.1	   .426 	5.53
    --
    21	Doug McDermott, CHI      14	   12.8	   .504 	4.83
    22	Nik Stauskas, SAC        13	   13.8	   .391 	3.06
    23	Joe Harris, CLE          11	   14.0	   .461 	1.61
    24	JaKarr Sampson, PHI       9	   11.2	   .284 	1.45
    25	Kyle Anderson, SA         7	   13.1	   .123 	-1.07

Jabari's efficiency quite impressive given that he's playing 30 mins/game, but his TS% isn't too good, probably taking more shots than most.

Aaron Gordon, the top-rated player was drafted 4th. Jordan Clarkson, the 2nd-rated player was drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, 46th overall!

KJ McDaniels (5th-rated) is a 2nd round pick too.

McDermott's rating even more concerning looking at that. As a college senior, you're expecting him to contribute earlier than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NBA_draft#Draft_selections

I at least thought McDermott despite his lack of athleticism would be a lights out shooter.

• Advertisement

I at least thought McDermott despite his lack of athleticism would be a lights out shooter.

He's not getting great looks at the moment, the team probably needs to help him get better looks and part of it is his own inexperience, taking some ill-advised shots. These things should be somewhat fixable, so I won't panic unless he starts missing the wide open ones.

Love Jimmy.

@NickFriedell: Thibs w/high praise for Butler "He's been incredible. He's a star. And he does it on both ends of the floor. He's just an amazing player."

Later on...

@NickFriedell: Butler's response to Thibs' praise: "I'm not a star. I'm a good role player on a really, really good team. A really, really, deep team ..."

"I like role players. "Star" has never been next to Jimmy Butler's name, it never will be. I'll always be just an under the radar dog"

The under-the-radar dog had 32 points last night.

Disappointing to see Rose go out, tight hamstring (which I think can be issues for players coming back from ACL), sounded precautionary.

Would like to see him get some continuity. Too undermanned to beat Denver after that, with Noah being a late scratch on top of Gibson.

Yep. I've been impressed with the strides Jimmy Butler has made in his offensive game. Very similar player to Paul George now in that they play at a high level at both sides of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I love this gif too much

Nate's reaction to Faried dunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

How many more seasons will Kobe play?
    Will he stay on to try break KAJ's scoring record?

I love this gif too much

Nate's reaction to Faried dunk

haha looks like kevin harts grandpa sketch

MJ23 wrote: »
    How many more seasons will Kobe play?
    Will he stay on to try break KAJ's scoring record?

He signed a 2 year deal and got a big payday, this being year one. Most beat reporters have been saying that these are his last 2 seasons.

There is a real strong feeling that this is Manu's and Duncan's last season also. Spurs didn't want to pay Leonard, knowing that Ginobili and Timmy are coming off the books this summer. The belief is Kawhi was told this and he will get his max contract this summer, with Marc Gasol also possibly landing in San Antonio.

This is all mere speculation, but fairly informed speculation. If this really is the last season for these two transcendent players, then enjoy it everbody. Two of my favourite players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Oh Sixers. 50 seconds to go. Down by one. Their ball. Take a shot to try take the lead? No way. Throw a terrible pass out of bounds instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 onlysheep

buyer95 wrote: »
    He signed a 2 year deal and got a big payday, this being year one. Most beat reporters have been saying that these are his last 2 seasons.

There is a real strong feeling that this is Manu's and Duncan's last season also. Spurs didn't want to pay Leonard, knowing that Ginobili and Timmy are coming off the books this summer. The belief is Kawhi was told this and he will get his max contract this summer, with Marc Gasol also possibly landing in San Antonio.

This is all mere speculation, but fairly informed speculation. If this really is the last season for these two transcendent players, then enjoy it everbody. Two of my favourite players in the league.

Leonard said he believes he would be a member of the Spurs in his career life in a interview. I have always been a fans of Spurs, and their offense is really beautiful. If Spurs can get Anthony Davies in after Duncan's retirement, it will be perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

If JR Smith just passed the ball to Calderon Knicks would be up by like 10 now

Advertisement