Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

i Pod touch 8GB stopped working, anyway to get it going again?

• 25-10-2014 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Right so,
    Have an i Pod Touch 8GB,
    It was working fine recently besides an issue that it wouldnt connect to wireless.
    Had it connected to laptop, got a prompt to update software, after that it wont go back on again.
    I was going to try open it, but after an initial attempt, all I was doing was damaging the case and broke some specific plastic seperators for phones etc.

If I hadnt done the damn upgrade, Id still have a perfectly good music player.
    All it shows now is a disc on the screen with an apple connection going up to it, cant restore in itunes as it doesnt recognise the device.

Normally I attempt to fix these things myself, but having looked up online, I cant see anything to fix/resolve this? some suggestions on youtube but then plenty of comment s to say they dont work or they are unrelated or just telling you to restore it on the software.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

cerastes wrote: »
    Right so,
    Have an i Pod Touch 8GB,
    It was working fine recently besides an issue that it wouldnt connect to wireless.
    Had it connected to laptop, got a prompt to update software, after that it wont go back on again.
    I was going to try open it, but after an initial attempt, all I was doing was damaging the case and broke some specific plastic seperators for phones etc.

If I hadnt done the damn upgrade, Id still have a perfectly good music player.
    All it shows now is a disc on the screen with an apple connection going up to it, cant restore in itunes as it doesnt recognise the device.

Normally I attempt to fix these things myself, but having looked up online, I cant see anything to fix/resolve this? some suggestions on youtube but then plenty of comment s to say they dont work or they are unrelated or just telling you to restore it on the software.

Is the device completely unresponsive at the moment? Have you tried putting it into recovery mode and see if you can restore it that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

It isnt responsive itself, I cant access anything on its screen.
    It just shows a CD with a musical note symbol and an I pod plug going up to it.

I thought Id give boards a last try before I consign it to paperweight/bin.

It isnt recognised on itunes, well it says it cant be restored, so it seems to recognise that its there, but cant do anything about it.

I found some stuff online that seems to suggest it might be in a restore loop??
    and I might just need to be able to jig it out of that somehow, not sure if I need software.

By the way, probably know this, but its out of warranty.
    I wouldnt mind but it was hardly used, just charged from time to time.

Now that its gone :( I miss it :), its getting awful painful listening to the same few cds which are in a changer in the boot, be much easier to bring this along and plug it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Have a look for DFU restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

It just shows a CD with a musical note symbol and an I pod plug going up to it.

Sounds like it is stuck in recovery mode. Needs to be restored through iTunes. Is iTunes fully up to date? What happens when you plug the iPod in, do you get an 'iTunes has detected a device in recovery mode....' message?

Zcott wrote: »
    Have a look for DFU restore.

Thanks
    Aeternum wrote: »
    Sounds like it is stuck in recovery mode. Needs to be restored through iTunes. Is iTunes fully up to date? What happens when you plug the iPod in, do you get an 'iTunes has detected a device in recovery mode....' message?

Just checked it again,
    iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode, you must resore this iPod before you can use it with iTunes

But when I try restore it, it cant

It seems like this occured during the update, I connected it to update it as there was an issue with it not being able to connect to wifi, I thought updating the software might have resolved that, at least then the music player was fully working :( should've left it be.

• Advertisement

jesus christ

Just opened iTunes, checked for update, one available and for quicktime, accepted, now iTunes wont open, wtf
    At least I didnt pay for it I suppose, but its still annoying.

Going to give this one last request for help on this before I chuck it,

I got no where trying to restart it myself, its just locked up.

Anywhere I can bring it for a repair??? that anyone knows of, Im in Dublin, so anywhere in Dublin, thats known for resetting, fixing ipod touch?

Ive an alternate and older mp3 player, but its not touch screen, didnt realise how tedious it was to click through menus, the battery on that is very short lived and sealed in too, same capacity as the ipod.

So, my last chance to not turn this into a paperweight.

Tinyumbrella used to do this, not sure if it still does.

Ok, I thought that was some service that repairs ipods.
    this looks like it backs up the firmware before an issue occurs? so that you have it downgraded to an older version

thing is, I cant access it in anyway, its locked up, screen comes on only with an ipod power jack and a cd with a musical note on it, and I think some arrows suggesting to plug it in,
    Anyway, I cant get access to it through iTunes.

I was hoping to bring it to someone more expert than me, and just pay to get it sorted.

Your iPod is stuck in recovery mode and I think tiny umbrella can kick it out of recovery mode. Have a Google for iPod stuck in recovery mode.

• Advertisement

I think thats what it said, I'll try that so, just got p'd off with it so was going to hand it over to someone else to fix, I'll try the tiny umbrella thing, but it did suggest it was for backing up firmware, and it appeared to say that was in the event you had problems that you could restore it to an earlier version prior to updating.

Worth a try anyway, thanks as I never heard of it despite searching for fixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Tiny umbrella used to be used to make a copy of SHSH blobs, you would then use a program to add those blobs to an earlier version of iOS and then restore. It also has the ability to kick devices out of recovery mode, there's a button on the main panel when you run the program.

guil wrote: »
    Tiny umbrella used to be used to make a copy of SHSH blobs, you would then use a program to add those blobs to an earlier version of iOS and then restore. It also has the ability to kick devices out of recovery mode, there's a button on the main panel when you run the program.

ok, thanks,

Is this it?

http://download.cnet.com/TinyUmbrella/3000-18545_4-75766724.html

Yep.

whats supposed to open? nothing opens, downloads but only a java icon appears on the taskbar and a black bar on the screen?

went to another site, says java needs to be installed or up or date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

whats supposed to open? nothing opens, downloads but only a java icon appears on the taskbar and a black bar on the screen?

went to another site, says java needs to be installed or up or date

Sounds like you need to install or update Java.

I tried to update Java, still no joy.
    I googled and it seems that I am not the first to encounter tinyumbrella not opening

tried getting it recognised in anti virus, still no luck

I'll have a few more goes at it but I seem to keep coming against the same brick wall.

I tried to update Java, still no joy.
    I googled and it seems that I am not the first to encounter tinyumbrella not opening

tried getting it recognised in anti virus, still no luck

I'll have a few more goes at it but I seem to keep coming against the same brick wall.

I had the same problem not so long ago and can't remeber how I got it going. Google tinyumbrella closes after reticulating splines

Ok, I'll try that,
    It seemed like tinyumbrella wasnt going to work,
    did a bit more searching and found ifaith,
    that wouldnt work
    found something called rec boot,
    tried that but when I try shut down recovery mode, itunes comes up with a message
    that applemobiledevice.dll is missing

differently, after using ifaith, the screen did change from showing the cd overlayed with the musical note and the apple connector with the arrow pointing up to the cd/note, to a white lit screen
    but no power switch to swipe as required by ifaith.

Still not recognised in itunes or the device manager on my laptop which I checked after finding a youtube link.

Im beginning to think this is what bricked it, but stubbornly I dont want to give up on it just yet, although I have felt like smashing it with a hammer and Im cursing Apple all along.
    I had thought I might be able to sell or pass on the battery, lcd screen, case, maybe the drive? in it can be restored somehow too, but if thats the case, dont know why I cant do that myself, shame there cant be some way of doing a complete wipe and restore if it gets like this, which after looking up, seems to be common.

I had the same problem not so long ago and can't remeber how I got it going. Google tinyumbrella closes after reticulating splines

Ok, well the fix for tinyumbrella worked, bit of an issue deleting other versions of it which still aren't gone, but used one of the original ones. Id downloaded a few as they weren't working, so tried different sites.

It didnt seem to work initially, it needed a kicking alright, a good hard kicking :) as the buttons were greyed out, given it couldnt get any worse, I tried a few things with the options available. About the 4th attempt it seems to have succeeded. I really thought this was for the bin, I couldnt look at as a paperweight, make me sick.

I now want to try save an shsh file from the ipod as it should be accessible. Ive tried to save it using tinyumbrella, but theres nothing in the destination. I can see the music appears in itunes, and the ipod is recognised in itunes.
    I also want to unset automatic updates in itunes, I'll have a google, but if anyone knows how to unset that feature permanently, reply away.
    Quick look in settings under advanced tab, unchecked, automatically search for updates.
    I'll save the shsh file in case of future errors, wish Id known that at the start, would have made things much easier.

Thanks for the advice.

I had written this
    "Edit
    before anyone reads the below, its fcuked again"

But I got it working again, I think this was my fault though, at least partly.
    I saved an shsh file
    I had to get a library file (updated from youtube) here if anyone wants it, off this guy, I'm going to follow him so I know who to search for as he was the only person I could find on youtube that gave useful advice, everyone else I could find was directing to use, itunes, anyway for anyone that needs a library file for tinyumbrella, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDBbD9XDio8

I saved the shsh file, but while saving the new library file as he "Knosrocks" suggests, I changed the shsh file location so Id know where it was. I thought I could change the directory path to the saved shsh file in tinyumbrella, which I did, but it seems that was looking for the library file, hence why I couldnt open tinyumbrella afterwards. This seemed to change the location of the new library file but TU was looking in the wrong place so couldn't open, or it was looking in the right place because I changed it, thinking that directory path was for the shsh file.

I was only able to get access back when I found this (bit hit and miss, about changing the file path in the registry) here
    http://msurowiecki.pl/index.php/iphone/105-tinyumbrella-fails-to-launch-solution

TU would then open, and I could confirm it was looking in the wrong place, I changed that, now I should be able to kick it back out of recovery, which it may still go into, as it reverted to recovery and failed to restart, as when I initially gained access to the device in itunes, I backed up the ipod, no big deal as the music is in itunes anyway, but I then went to try restore, it, I thought this might restore it to factory, but it set about checking for an update, which put it back into recovery mode, I was kicking myself for trying to be thorough and couldnt understand why TU wouldnt open.

So I suspect, I will never be able to update this device, no harm if the device works and the update causes problems really.
    Still uncertain whats causing the device to get stuck in recovery mode, I think it might be to do with the applemobiledevice.dll file missing, which cropped up when using the Rec Boot software,I'm not sure yet how to fix that, but at least I have the shsh file backed up and can use TU.
    Still some other things I'm uncertain why they happened, but probably because I am not an IT person, as in IT qualified, I'm really just muddling my way through it.

Thanks to a few people for the pointers that got me on the right track, re tinyumbrella and recent replies.

• Advertisement

There's no need for you to save the blobs now. It's only real benefit was for downgrading ios to a previous one Apple stopped signing and you have to save the blobs while Apple are still signing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭maniac2003

There's no need for you to save the blobs now. It's only real benefit was for downgrading ios to a previous one Apple stopped signing and you have to save the blobs while Apple are still signing it.

is the WiFi working now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭maniac2003

is the WiFi working now?

maniac2003 wrote: »
    is the WiFi working now?

How is that anything to do with saving shsh blobs in this case?

ok, I thought in the event it had an error, I would need that as a backup, its saved anyway.
    I actually think it might be something to do with the .dll file that was alerted as missing by one of the programs I tried to use to kick it out of recovery, it mentioned applemobiledevice.dll file missing, during my search to fix this I came across something somewhere about reinstalling that dll file, but for the moment I'll just leave that on the backburner until I have time to look it up, in the meantime, I'll avoid trying to restire and have shut off automatic updates, which I think starts putting the ipod into an unrecoverable state, to confirm this I tried to restore and update again last night and it did the same thing, but this time I was able to get it working again in a minute or minutes.

maniac2003 wrote: »
    is the WiFi working now?

I was going to mention that, it is working now.
    How is that anything to do with saving shsh blobs in this case?

I think I might have brought it up in my OP, I actually think (its been a while since this all started, a good while before I even started the thread), that was the initial problem, I think I went ahead with the restore initially for that reason, when I went to restore it I knew nothing about the shsh file, while not directly related, when I tried to restore, it automatically searched for an update and that is when the ipod became unresponsive.

I know you mentioned the wifi wasn't working but the only thing TU did was kick it out of recovery. The restore in iTunes fixed the wifi.

The comment about blobs not been any use now was that Apple arent signing any versions of iOS except 8.1 you can't save blobs for say 7.1 now because Apple doesn't sign it anymore.

I know you mentioned the wifi wasn't working but the only thing TU did was kick it out of recovery. The restore in iTunes fixed the wifi.

The comment about blobs not been any use now was that Apple arent signing any versions of iOS except 8.1 you can't save blobs for say 7.1 now because Apple doesn't sign it anymore.

I realise the TU just kicked it out of the recovery loop.
    Im not sure if allowing the ipod to start up again, not in that recovery loop allowed the wifi to work or what,
    but the thing is, the restore wasn't successful, to restore it seems to require it to automatically update, even with the auto update off in the settings, I had to ok an update, it seems this is what puts it back into the recovery loop.
    The version I have is 1.1.5, maybe thats part of the problem, this wasn't used much so maybe they aren't signing? my version?

Was the iPod ever jailbroken. It's really old and that might explain why it's failing the restore. I got an iPhone in 2009 and iOS 3.1.2 was out then.

Was the iPod ever jailbroken. It's really old and that might explain why it's failing the restore. I got an iPhone in 2009 and iOS 3.1.2 was out then.

Nope, owned from new by my partner 2007, in the box, almost never used, gave it to me, I hardly ever used it and for a time it was put down for a long while, its an ipod touch 8gb, it was in immaculate condition, until recently when I tried to undo the case to see what I could see, which was not very much, still has the original screen protector on it.
    Had I known about TU, arggh anyway, its convenient to have it back, much better than my older mp3 player which I dug out, but happily worked.
    I was getting a bit sick of the CD changer in the car, need to max out the storage in music.

To me looking at it all, there seems to be a thing about not supporting older firmware or at least of the customers choice.
    Should be a feature in iTunes I think, these devices aren't cheap, should be able to keep a copy of the firmware via iTunes, so you can revert to it or instead of being forced to upgrade to a newer firmware unless there is absolutely a problem that is being fixed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement