Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hurt himself playing with stick?

• 25-10-2014 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I brought the dog out there about 6pm and he was playing in the green. I was throwing the stick as usual.

He basically caught the stick wrong and was screaming in pain as if someone stood on his paw, I was panicing once I heard him scream. He then just dropped on the grass. Initially I though he had broken his neck or paw.

I ran over to see what was going on. Noticed blood coming from his mouth. He couldn't walk to well or stand and seem extremely out of sorts. I picked him up and ran with him in my arms to my house. On route I rang my GF to get my Da to have the car ready.

I got to a vet fairly quickly, out of hours service at about 6:45/7. After some inspection he said it's a stick injury and the stick has cut him. I told him I noticed a laceration on his gum about 6/7cm opened about say 2cm and this was where the blood was coming from.

He suggested maybe knocking him out and checking his throat while also stitching the laceration. Sadly I didn't have the money, 160€ on top of 90€ but the dog is insured (seems you need cash but). Even before the money I wasn't too keen on having him knocked out.

Hes at home now is resting. Dose not seem to want water, still bleeding it's stringy, light red not dark red mixed with saliva. Vet said it will stop after a few hours.

Just wondering if this happened to anyone else? Any advise? How will I monitor him, to judge if things get worse? Still kinda worried about him. He's a 3 year old border collie cross.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Unfortunately stick injuries like this aren't uncommon. There is even now a dog toy that is a rubber stick, so that you can still play fetch, but safely.

Years ago, a friend's dog (also a border collie) stopped eating, and the vet thought he had a tumour, they really thought he only had days left, I remember they bought a roast chicken for him for the night before he went into the vets for an op, as they thought he wasn't coming home. Once the vet knocked him out and could have a proper look in his mouth, they found a piece of stick wedged into the roof of his mouth, once it was removed, he was absolutely fine, and lived a long and healthy life.

Just keep an eye on him, and if you think its getting worse, call the vet back. Hopefully he'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

muddypaws wrote: »
    Unfortunately stick injuries like this aren't uncommon. There is even now a dog toy that is a rubber stick, so that you can still play fetch, but safely.

Years ago, a friend's dog (also a border collie) stopped eating, and the vet thought he had a tumour, they really thought he only had days left, I remember they bought a roast chicken for him for the night before he went into the vets for an op, as they thought he wasn't coming home. Once the vet knocked him out and could have a proper look in his mouth, they found a piece of stick wedged into the roof of his mouth, once it was removed, he was absolutely fine, and lived a long and healthy life.

Just keep an eye on him, and if you think its getting worse, call the vet back. Hopefully he'll be fine.

Thanks for the advise.

Sadly I had to bring him back down, the bleeding was very bad. He's gonna be there till 10am tomorrow morning :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bloody hell op :(
    Could the vet not cut you some slack, knowing as he does that your dog is insured? I know many vets prefer payment up front, but jeez... Insurance is for situations just like this :(
    Lesson learned though huh? I don't throw sticks because of the risk. As muddypaws says, Kong do a rubber stick now, but even some rubber tubing or the like would be better to use from now on :o
    I really hope your dog will be ok, you must have got an awful fright :o

DBB wrote: »
    Bloody hell op :(
    Could the vet not cut you some slack, knowing as he does that your dog is insured? I know many vets prefer payment up front, but jeez... Insurance is for situations just like this :(
    Lesson learned though huh? I don't throw sticks because of the risk. As muddypaws says, Kong do a rubber stick now, but even some rubber tubing or the like would be better to use from now on :o
    I really hope your dog will be ok, you must have got an awful fright :o

The vet was very nice. Might have been a case of judging a book by the cover. I am young was in a tracksuit bottoms, running runners and a old grey jacket.

I have the money so I can afford it just hope he is still insured, cause it is with Tesco Pet Insurance put they pulled out and another company took over so I think he still is.

Just hope he makes it was quite alot of blood.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

TallGlass wrote: »
    The vet was very nice. Might have been a case of judging a book by the cover. I am young was in a tracksuit bottoms, running runners and a old grey jacket.

Oh well then.... :p

To be honest, what your vet quoted sounds reasonable, and one thing's for sure, your dog's in the right place now should he need more immediate help.
    Keep us posted, won't you?
    Hope he's okay :)

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Oh well then.... :p

To be honest, what your vet quoted sounds reasonable, and one thing's for sure, your dog's in the right place now should he need more immediate help.
    Keep us posted, won't you?
    Hope he's okay :)

Can't get a hold of anyone in Tesco till Tuesday. But nearly sure he is covered.

Just checked my DD online and
    EUR RSA DD BAU ACCOUNT PI******* 01 Active €6.60 17 Oct 2014

Fewwww.

Will keep everyone posted. I am so worried about him. Poor fella is very nervous and get's really lonely. Can't imagine what he is like now, bleeding, alone and scared :(. At the same time he can be quite wild and playful, main reason I got the insurance in cause he caused an accident or hurt himself.

Just got a call from the vet.

He said he is very sleepy. But he got stitched up there was another laceration bit futher back from the first one 3/4 times larger than the first one, which was causing the bleeding.

Gonna keep him in over night can collect him in the morning, just hope all is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I hope he recovers well, such a horrible thing to have to go through. Poor mite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

How is your dog today ? I hope he's doing ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My girl BC had a thing for sticks but thankfully I got her out of playing and replaced it for the ball and frisbee for the very reason I was afraid she'd catch a sharp point! Hope your guy recovers well, you acted quickly to get him to the vet - it's terrible scary when they have an injury.

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    How is your dog today ? I hope he's doing ok.

Sorry for the delay, collected him this morning and I was in work after.

He seems generally okay. He is completely drugged up on Tramadol powerful painkiller. I was in hospital myself and took this drug once, refused to take it again as it's so powerful your drifting then it wakes you up. Totally spaced.

Thankfully no more blood. Vet said it was quite bad and a big job, he just charged 80€ for operation.

Hes been quite tired all day my dad said. Might sound a bit weird but it's like he is embarrassed about all the fuss, he knows somethings up. Not sure maybe if he thinks he done something wrong.

So best advise to people, don't let dogs play with sticks or wood and have pet insurance.

Also another sound piece of advise find a vet on call or a 24 hour vet and save that number in your phone. Very hard to find one when your panicking also have a plan on how you will get your animal to the vet if they cannot meet you. I tended not to bring my phone with me walking him thankfully had it with me that day to call for help. My dogs only small 20kg but you be surprised how heavy that is when your trying to run down the road with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Glad to hear your dog has been sorted - hope he continues to recover.

God what a terrible thing to happen - poor you (poor dog too of course, but the fright you got must have been horrendous)

Good point - I NEVER bring the dogs for a walk, or let my daughter/husband go, without a phone. As you say, having to carry a dog when you are paniced is a nightmare.
    Another good point - make sure the vets number plus out of hours number is on your phone!!

My dog is obsessed with sticks. The bigger the better. Will have to seriously stop throwing sticks now - the suggestion to use a bit of rubber hose or similar is excellent.

Delighted for you he's on the road to recovery! Good advice about the phone, I never remember to bring mine out walking even though I know I should. Hopefully now he'll be back to himself in no time.

Delighted for you he's on the road to recovery! Good advice about the phone, I never remember to bring mine out walking even though I know I should. Hopefully now he'll be back to himself in no time.

Thanks. Hopefully no mental damage done either, he was very playful dog and loved going out. Just hope there be no changes in him about the outdoors. Vet said no exercise for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

TallGlass wrote: »
    Also another sound piece of advise find a vet on call or a 24 hour vet and save that number in your phone. Very hard to find one when your panicking also have a plan on how you will get your animal to the vet if they cannot meet you. I tended not to bring my phone with me walking him thankfully had it with me that day to call for help. My dogs only small 20kg but you be surprised how heavy that is when your trying to run down the road with him.

Excellent advice. We often go for a walk for peace and quiet and to get away from the phone. Stick it on silent but put it in your pocket anyway. You never know when you'll need it in an emergency.

Delighted your dog is doing ok. No more sticks for him ;) (no sticks anway for dogs but big lesson learned no doubt).

I wouldn't imagine there should be any damage, I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing he wants to do is fetch a stick!!

I wouldn't imagine there should be any damage, I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing he wants to do is fetch a stick!!

Yeah, and rip it apart. No he will be keeping to his ball from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Thankfully all is well.op

Just a few lines from me, don't mean to sound preachy but

1: sticks are a nightmare, dogs love them because they are soft and pliable but they cause injuries sooooooo easily. Even a splinter in the wrong place can be costly and more importantly painful to puppy/dog

2 ALWAYS carry a phone......cannot stress this enough.

3 NEVER panic.....I know it's easy to say but if anyone can quote a situation that was ever solved by panicking then i will withdraw this. Honestly taking 30 seconds out to calm yourself may make all the difference one day.

Advertisement