Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with owed rent?

Options
  • 25-10-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys recently started renting houses and unfortunately somebody did a runner on me 2 months early with about €600 due already and he had the 2 months left as well to pay. I have rang him and every time he answers (rarely) he either hangs up on me or else talks nonsense to me. I offered to let him off the rest of the contract at the start to be fair but he doesn't care in reality.
    So what would be the best thing for me to do in this situation?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section it was the most fitting section I could find

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You will be better off in accommodation and property section. Did you not have a deposit? Is the tenancy registered with the PRTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The real Gerry

MouseTail wrote: »
    You will be better off in accommodation and property section. Did you not have a deposit? Is the tenancy registered with the PRTB?

Thanks for the advice and if any mods see this I will be moving this to the relevant section now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So what would be the best thing for me to do in this situation?

Write the debt off as a loss, and screen your tenants better next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If a property is abandoned a certain amount of time, the tenancy is deemed to be ended, not sure how long, something like 14 - 28 days? check it.
    They owed you 600, do you have deposit? clean it up and move on, re let it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Please note this thread has been moved to Accommodation & Property on request of OP and a new charter is in effect.

New Mods; if it's not suitable please feel free to return it to Biz -> Work & Jobs

//MOD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Write the debt off as a loss, and screen your tenants better next time.

Out of curiosity. How do you screen your tenants

OP
    WAS IT A FIXED TERM LEASE? sorry caps

If so technically they owe you the two months plus any arrears. (EDIT AND POTENTIALLY ANY LOSS).
    If a part 4 (non fixed term) they dont seem to have given adequete notice and owe money.
    Assumung you are legitimately operating (ie PRTB registered), you could lodge a complaint through them with/about the tenant, doesnt cost very much.

Still, you should do your utmost to relet the property and unfortunately you should be grateful they didnt leave the place in a state? or stay on while refusing to pay rent. Get someone new in and mitigate your losses. Vet them carefully yourself, (EDIT, HOW DID YOU SELECT THEM ORIGINALLY? YOURSELF OR AN AGENT?) dont rely on an agent, aside from potentially not giving a damn about who you get in, they take a full fee upfront.
    Weigh the options of a fixed term lease, if you have a good tenant, it protects you, if you have a bad tenant, you can still get rid of them for serious breaches anyway, ie failure to pay rent/anti social/other breach.

In a part 4 type lease or when someone acquires part 4 rights (after 6 months), a person can still be gotten rid of (technically) if they breach the conditions of the lease (but mostly just serious ones).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lodge a PRTB case- as a matter of course.
    If they ignore the case- the PRTB will automatically rule in your favour.
    You then get the ruling enforced in a local court, and ultimately can send the county sheriff after them.

You need to do this- you're probably entitled to 1500-2000 and it will stop this jackass from pulling the same stunt on their next landlord.

Lodge a PRTB case- as a matter of course.
    If they ignore the case- the PRTB will automatically rule in your favour.
    You then get the ruling enforced in a local court, and ultimately can send the county sheriff after them.

You need to do this- you're probably entitled to 1500-2000 and it will stop this jackass from pulling the same stunt on their next landlord.

I agree, but how do the PRTB contact the tenant?
    I approached the PRTB about a neighbouring tenant regarding anti social behaviour, the landlord wasn't registered, the PRTB said "what can we do about it if we dont know where they(landlord) live".

Advertisement