Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dún Laoghaire to Drogheda Weekly Train Ticket

Options
  • 25-10-2014 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm working in historical Drogheda for a few weeks. :) I will be travelling back and forth from Dublin probably 3 times per week during that time. I'd prefer not to pay the guts of €90 for that privilege. My preference is to take the train rather than driving if possible. Does anybody know if I can purchase a weekly ticket with Iarnrod Eireann as I understand it can be done the opposite way around?

I've looked on their site and can't seem to find much info. I understand Drogheda to Dublin is more common so I just wanted to confirm. Prices from one location to another are not always the same so would buy a reverse weekly if it made more sense!

A rough price would be good too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Must be from Dundalk with humour like that. You will notice that it was a bank holiday weekend and the above yielded no reply until this morning. Thanks though.

€85. Guts of €20 cheaper in the opposite direction. Soon to be increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Nowhere near Dundalk :)

How can a weekly ticket on the same route be 2 different prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Mylow wrote: »

How can a weekly ticket on the same route be 2 different prices??

At a guess; simple supply/demand economics.

If there is a greater demand for Dundalk-Dublin-Dundalk daily commute than there is for a Dublin-Dundalk-Dublin daily commute, then they can set the price higher and still find people willing to pay it.

Or they can lower the price for the Dub-Dk-Dub version in order to entice more people to use it.

More likely, it's a combination of the two.

If both were the same price, then there'd be overcrowded (or perhaps I should say "even more overcrowded") S-bound trains and empty N-bound trains in the mornings, and the other way round in the afternoons/evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Up de towin

Assuming I'm one if not the only person taking this commute. Dublin to Louth is always more expensive than the reverse. More options from Drogheda I suppose! Looks like I'll be based in Louth til Christmas. Wahey.

Good town. Friendly locals and good restaurants and pubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement