Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to look out for when buying a ferguson 20

Options
  • 25-10-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

how a ya,
    i was lookin to buy a ferguson 20 tractor for meself.
    i was just wondering what to look out for when buying one because i dont want to be buying a hape of a yoke
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

madlad7530 wrote: »
    how a ya,
    i was lookin to buy a ferguson 20 tractor for meself.
    i was just wondering what to look out for
    when buying one because i dont want to be buying a hape of a yoke
    any help would be greatly appreciated

A 35 :D

...with a dual clutch and proper lift that is capable of doing something useful IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

They are fairly basic, biggest thing would be engine rotting itself away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

are you looking petrol diesel or TVO ?
    Remember that with no "live drive" to the hydraulics, you cannot lift the hydraulics when you have your foot on the clutch. This is a pain if you intend using it for yard scraping etc.

Actually, buy yourself a Super Dexta , far superior. :0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ensure first and foremost that it has an engine. You're going nowhere without one. Next thing to look out for then would be four wheels. Make sure there is air in the tyres all the way round, not just at the top. Don't be too worried about the faulty gauges, a steering wheel is the main thing you need working on the dash. A seat is of great benefit when driving, so look for one directly behind the steering wheel. There should be a gearstick present. When you sit down, it's the rod you'll see coming up between your legs with a ball on the end it of it. If there's two balls on it, don't worry. Wrong one. Look a little further forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I don't know how much he's seen of the 20 but I think the op has bigger problems than looking for a tractor if they're unfamiliar with the rod with 2 balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jaysus lads the fella is just looking for a bit of advice. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Watch out for the lad in a white coat. He'll lift you if you buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Reggie. wrote: »

Agree. Op what are you buying the tractor for. A bit if restoration work , garden tractor big tractor etc.

They are very simple machines. As my brother use to say a Tesco trolley would be more complicated. The main think is has it being kept indoors or exposed to the rust . Are all parts on it or did z neighbour " borrow a part years ago.

Check Ic the oil in the block and engine. If not greater Idl of seizing. If you have a frien that's good with machinery bring him along

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Reggie. wrote: »

Sorry, it's Halloween and we're all a bit giddy. We'll get round to helping out after a while

Farmer wrote: »
    Sorry, it's Halloween and we're all a bit giddy. We'll get round to helping out after a while

Yeah but it doesn't paint the forum in a great light if a fella rolls in asking a question and is taken to the cleaners straight away.

Grand if it's a regular like myself we know the score around here ;)

God knows we lost enough good posters already

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    are you looking petrol diesel or TVO ?
    Remember that with no "live drive" to the hydraulics, you cannot lift the hydraulics when you have your foot on the clutch. This is a pain if you intend using it for yard scraping etc.

Actually, buy yourself a Super Dexta , far superior. :0

Less of that ford talk you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

If it's mechanically sound make sure the tin work is in good condition. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a one with good tin otherwise you could spend a fortune replacing the old tin work.

If it's mechanically sound make sure the tin work is in good condition. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a one with good tin otherwise you could spend a fortune replacing the old tin work.

And most replacement panels usually don't match up to the original ones (holes and stuff). Your better finding panels or bonnets that came off old barn found tractors with a bit of rust or dents on them

• Registered Users Posts: 30 madlad7530

Muckit wrote: »
    Ensure first and foremost that it has an engine. You're going nowhere without one. Next thing to look out for then would be four wheels. Make sure there is air in the tyres all the way round, not just at the top. Don't be too worried about the faulty gauges, a steering wheel is the main thing you need working on the dash. A seat is of great benefit when driving, so look for one directly behind the steering wheel. There should be a gearstick present. When you sit down, it's the rod you'll see coming up between your legs with a ball on the end it of it. If there's two balls on it, don't worry. Wrong one. Look a little further forward

haha thanks very much

thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Diesel 20 up on D Deal in Lough At the moment. Bonnet nice and original. 600 euro, might be worth a look.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Diesel 20 up on D Deal in Lough At the moment. Bonnet nice and original. 600 euro, might be worth a look.

seen that up but i have my eye on a lovley yoke on adverts for a good price

Advertisement