Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time landlord - The bad and the ugly crazy tenant nighmares

Options
  • 26-10-2014 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all, It is 3 in the morning and it has taken me quite a bit of thought before writing this post. I had stayed strong during this time. But I need advises on situations that I am about to describe.

My husband and I bought our first house this summer and has decided to rent three of our rooms out. From a friend's recommendation, we had two international students staying with us from late august to end of may next yr. In the first two months, I tried my best to assist them in anyway I can, I give them lifts to college sometimes, drove them to the visa office, pick up food for them in shops, write official documentations for them. Last week the nightmare has started.

When I sent a text msg to one of my the student ask whether I can enter her room to close the window ( it was at 2 in the afternoon and the window has been open since morning), and I follow up text her saying if she s back soon, then I d just leave the windows and go out. She replied that she s coming back straight away. I was then back home further in the afternoon, seeing windows still remained open, to prove that I can see her window open from our backyard, I went out and took a picture and sent it to her. I then texted her asking about the window. She replied back accusing me have entered her room.

I have then trying to explain to her that I don't need to enter her room to see the window is open, she then started using words that intimidates me. I sensed a strong distrust and I said to her if she wants to leave, please let me know as soon as possible. Then she started asking her full deposit back.

It was extremely hard to explain the Irish renting system, the law and sometimes even common sense. She then consistently being very rude, intimidating and very unpleasant. I text her saying I don't appreciate the way she talks to me and wish she can stop the intimidation. She then followed up telling me to learn my Irish law first before talking to her. So I asked if she is still not using the right manner to talk? She text a big 'YES' back to me.

On the same night and the night following she and her other tenant friend asked to 'HAVE A TALK' with me and my husband. Then the intimidation is on again. So below are some of her requests that she wants us to satisfy her:

1. My husband and I can only take showers between certain hours and is not allowed to turn it on, because the electric shower is too loud! (Between our bedroom and hers , there is a hot press and a large main bathroom and a full size built in wardrobe)

2. She needs her room window open in all day time, regardless she is in or out of the house. Then her room temperature has to remain at 23degree C through the whole time even with her window open!

3. She said she hated talking to me and I can never talk to her or text her or contact her. She is going to filter me out! The only way if I want to tell her anything is to through my husband.

4. All the evidence I have collected against her does not count as evidence unless it has been certified by her college, or government. ( I have taken the picture of her unclosed window and she says it is not a solid evidence?!?!?! WHAT??????)

5. Any rules that the landlord did not write on the lease does not count as a rule and she can do anything she wants as long as it was not written on the lease. I have no way on saying anything about her.

6. The landlord does not have the rights on making household rules. She pays the money and she is the person that needs to make the rules, any rules I make does not count in her world.

7. She has already told me she wanted to move out, then she regret it saying it was only her 'thought' and it doesn't count. She also has said in front of me, my husband and her friend that she is going to move out in another occasion, then regret it saying it was only her 'intention' and intention does not count. She then finally said she wants a to move out just before christmas and find someone to replace her. But if she doesn't find anyone to replace her, she is going to stay in my house in her own will. I have signed a lease with her initially. In the lease, it states if a tenant cannot fulfill the whole contract term, it is a loss to the landlord, deposit is not refundable. (Our house is near a big uni and from back experience in searching for a roommate replacement after october being extremely difficult, we think we d be losing out money and that is why tenants have to fulfill their contract period or they lose the deposit.)

8. She wanted to write me as her emergency contact and I stupid enough agreed when she moved in. This week, I have told her that she needs to change her emergency contact to someone else. She refuses and said I don't have a choice to not be her emergency contact and I can not contact her insurance company. (What a joke!!)

9. She said any text message sent between me and her,will not be read carefully and it will be my fault that there are messages that she has missed to interpret. (I told her that this is a part of negligence and obviously she disagrees and saying negligence is not a breach of law.....)

10. Cleaning kitchen and living room floor is the duty of landlord. And she has always thought so! Even when the floor is dirty with her hair and food.....

And then it goes on and on and on.... In the end she had 12 points that wanted us to satisfy her!! When she was looking at the unclosed window picture, she actually said to me that the window in the picture is closed!!! I can not believe how unreal that is, it was a wide open window and she is saying she can't see it!!! And she told me that is not an evidence ??? WHAT???? I said no to her about all these ridiculous points, but she said she is going to apply them anyways, regardless of what I said.

I have stayed strong but very angry through all these crazy points!!! Can anyone please help me ! Can I sue her? She s only stayed for 2 months, and she is asking for her deposit back! But I have been intimidated by her in so many ways. I can not believe how she has behaved like a 2 yr old.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement