Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Register new political party

• 26-10-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Looking for people who would be interested to support or take part in creation of new political party. Following are the main priorities:
    1. Healthcare: decrease waiting time to see a doctor on public waiting list to 1 week
    2. Housing: State will help first time buyers to buy houses
    3. Childcare: tax relief on childcare expenses to make it more affordable

Needed: 300 signatures + 1 TD (official requirement)

Ideas and suggestions are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

newparty wrote: »
    Looking for people who would be interested to support or take part in creation of new political party. Following are the main priorities:
    1. Healthcare: decrease waiting time to see a doctor on public waiting list to 1 week

Unless you show how you plan to properly fund this, I can't see you having too many running to support you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newparty

Help in buying houses will give very quick payback as each new house means 300 k invested into economy and new jobs created. Such initiative is much better than investing 500 mln into social housing. With 500 mln invested into helping for FTB country can achieve 16 000 houses to be build.
    Childcare tax relieve is just and needed to be introduced long ago.
    Healthcare system investment is long time investment but you must decide what country you want live: with good public healthcare or with not healthcare at all ( as private healthcare never will able affordable for majority of population)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Help in buying houses will give very quick payback as each new house means 300 k invested into economy and new jobs created. Such initiative is much better than investing 500 mln into social housing. With 500 mln invested into helping for FTB country can achieve 16 000 houses to be build.
    Childcare tax relieve is just and needed to be introduced long ago.
    Healthcare system investment is long time investment but you must decide what country you want live: with good public healthcare or with not healthcare at all ( as private healthcare never will able affordable for majority of population)

We can all say things we'd like to happen, but in the real world they need to paid for. Easy to say childcare tax relief, and more doctors but where's the money coming from? We're borrowing money as it is to pay for existing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

I think you need to give people an idea as to how exactly you would go about achieving the healthcare item, how much it would cost and how it would be funded.

Its all well and good throwing ideas about, but unless they can be translated into real world results, that's all they'll remain, ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There are a lot of political parties and the vast majority are failures. Your party's "manifesto" comprises three populist and realistically fairly challenging objectives with little development or operational planning. Even if you do manage to get the required number of signatures and the single TD, what comes next?

I can do one better and propose a party whose main priorities are:
    A) Increasing minimum wage to €10/hour
    B) Reducing tax across the board, disbanding Irish Water and decreasing fees for 3rd level education etc.
    C) Increasing public spending on healthcare and education
    D) Capping motor tax at €1000 or car value for older, large-engined cars
    E) Other fantastic improvements such as no waiting lists for public healthcare patients

I'd probably get 300 people behind that without any problem and might easily convince a more "alternative" TD to co-sign. Will such a party succeed in any capacity? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is no shortage of money in this country, the problem is spending. To do as you propose, you either wait and implement them over a several year period, as finances allow and dont buy off the usual suspects with increases or you tackle the spending issues here and during the height of the crisis, even a newly elected government, voted in with a mandate for change, barely tinkered around the edges...

What I dont understand, is why independents currently in the Dail, who can achieve nothing on their own, dont give the people what they want, a socially liberable and economically conservative option. They will never have a better chance, FG will likely win the most seats at the next election and would way prefer to be in bed with the type of party that I propose... This party would highly unlikely get a majority, but would / could be kingmakers in a very short space of time...

I was thinking about this the other day, so you need at least 1 current member of the Dail, and you would need a few with experience of the system etc as a backbone, after that though surely, you can have anyone put themselves forward for election. I am far more interested in policies than personalities...

Isnt it theoretically so simple to implement change here? Could people of a similar mind come together, create a group with our goals and policies in mind, run it past a like minded TD and ask them to represent us? Surely it would be easy to get the message out there now with social media etc?

You wont be able to please everyone 100% on every aspect, but look how ****e the current lot is, you wouldnt have to, anything better than the crap we have available now, would do me, you wouldnt need perfection, far from it...
    Unless you show how you plan to properly fund this, I can't see you having too many running to support you.
    You could go after welfare, dole and pensioners etc and all the perks and position yourself as the workers party, the ones that Labour claim to represent LOL!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there is no shortage of money in this country, the problem is spending. To do as you propose, you either wait and implement them over a several year period, as finances allow and dont buy off the usual suspects with increases or you tackle the spending issues here and during the height of the crisis, even a newly elected government, voted in with a mandate for change, barely tinkered around the edges...

What I dont understand, is why independents currently in the Dail, who can achieve nothing on their own, dont give the people what they want, a socially liberable and economically conservative option. They will never have a better chance, FG will likely win the most seats at the next election and would way prefer to be in bed with the type of party that I propose... This party would highly unlikely get a majority, but would / could be kingmakers in a very short space of time...

I was thinking about this the other day, so you need at least 1 current member of the Dail, and you would need a few with experience of the system etc as a backbone, after that though surely, you can have anyone put themselves forward for election. I am far more interested in policies than personalities...

Isnt it theoretically so simple to implement change here? Could people of a similar mind come together, create a group with our goals and policies in mind, run it past a like minded TD and ask them to represent us? Surely it would be easy to get the message out there now with social media etc?

You wont be able to please everyone 100% on every aspect, but look how ****e the current lot is, you wouldnt have to, anything better than the crap we have available now, would do me, you wouldnt need perfection, far from it...
    Though people direct their ire towards politicians and their perceived inability to change anything, the problem is not with people so much as it is with the intrinsic difficulty in change.

Isn't it in every politician's interest to please the public and have their approval? If the current government could enact the changes proposed in the OP, they'd do it in a heartbeat. The problem is that dreaming up some ideals and endlessly petitioning and protesting for them is very easy and actually making those ideals a reality is very difficult.

Increasing minimum wage is also very good idea. Its cost to budget is 0. Definitely improves life of low paid workers and give them more buying power. Most employers who pays minimum wage are capable to pay more. They just don't want. This is government responsibility to make sure they pay adequate wages (that's why minimum wage exists).
    Concerning advanced planning of financing: I just wonder if any party gives you exact plan for financing their ideas ?
    You can' t make financial planning without actual figures in front of you.
    Political party should declare what they will strive to achieve and not detailed financial statements.

On healthcare side approach is simple and straight forward. We need more Junior Doctors to cover 90 % of cases and keep expensive consultants for difficult cases only. We need doctors to work for 50 K and not for 200 K.
    Then build up polyclinics keeping hospitals for emergencies and planned operations.
    And remember everything is achievable as long as you have a will and clear vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Increasing minimum wage is also very good idea. Its cost to budget is 0. Definitely improves life of low paid workers and give them more buying power. Most employers who pays minimum wage are capable to pay more. They just don't want. This is government responsibility to make sure they pay adequate wages (that's why minimum wage exists).
    Concerning advanced planning of financing: I just wonder if any party gives you exact plan for financing their ideas ?
    You can' t make financial planning without actual figures in front of you.
    Political party should declare what they will strive to achieve and not detailed financial statements.

This is the exact thinking that has us with politicians who promise the world while campaigning and deliver nothing in office. How could it possibly be preferable to have a potential party tell you what it dreams of achieving rather than what it actually intends to accomplish once in office?

Do you honestly believe that if it was possible to suddenly reduce public healthcare waiting times to one week any and all parties in office wouldn't do it. They would be guaranteed re-election on that fact alone.

To be honest I feel this country needs less politicians and more managers - people who will just work hard to run things as well as possible, rather than pandering to the masses, who are too uninformed about the specifics of most situations to have valid opinions. That is the party i would like to see.
    And remember everything is achievable as long as you have a will and clear vision.
    And expertise, and popular support, and money, and community buy in, and realistic clear goals, and the correct spin...

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Most employers who pays minimum wage are capable to pay more.

This implies that some are not in a position to do so. Have you considered the impact of an increased minimum wage on these employers?

On healthcare side approach is simple and straight forward. We need more Junior Doctors to cover 90 % of cases and keep expensive consultants for difficult cases only. We need doctors to work for 50 K and not for 200 K.

Then build up polyclinics keeping hospitals for emergencies and planned operations.
    I'm assuming you want to reduce a consultant's salary to 50k as most junior doctors already work for around that figure if not less. In Ireland, working conditions for junior doctors are already terrible as-is with high stress and illegally high working hours. If the salary is reduced even further, both Irish-trained graduates and experienced doctors alike will flock to other countries with better pay, work conditions and career prospects.

In any case, what constitutes a "difficult" case and what makes you think consultants see more than just the difficult cases already?
    You also need a solid operational plan or else you'll just be yet another politician promising the world to get elected and then not having the ability to deliver anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

I dont mean to be an ass, but honestly, if you had to come on here to ask for advice or ask do 300 people want to join then politics is not for you.

FF and FG have a lot of the same old faces who have been doing this forever and a lot of them had family who were doing this before them. These people grew up with this, they know the game, the know how to play it and if they get stuck they have associates and contacts to fall back on.

Getting 300 signatures is piss easy. You could get 300 signatures in a village and then get one of the independents to sign you off. I mean you could do that over a weekend. The problem is as others have said you dont have the expertise to pull it off.

If you are serious about doing this, find someone whos good with figures. Start looking at the Irish budget and putting together your own mock budgets and start making the figures work. You will be tore apart if you just keep coming out with statements like "we'll tax A and use that to pay B". If you cant produce actual figures on paper you are never going to be taking serious by anyone.

Then you need to repeat that for each other sector- education, health, social protection etc. You need detailed report on every aspect of how you plan on running the country.

So in other words you need a team of experts behind you who are willing to work very hard for zero money (unless you can pay them yourself).

Once you have that much complete it makes you a realistic option that people can take serious. Thats the easy part out of the way.

Next you will need to setup grassroots across the country especially by getting your people into local councils. This lets you keep your finger on the pulse so to speak. You need to have someone in every town and every village who can keep your party up to speed on whats happening and more importantly....... someone to drum up party support with the voters.

Next is money. During the last local elections I read the candidates (in our town anyway) were spending on average about 12K on their campaigns. And thats just local elections for one person. Have you really got the financial backing to run a country wide campaign for a general election?

You see, this is why people dont start parties. To finance a party from scratch could easily run you into a few million.

Then lets suppose you win the election. Great. You finally get in- but heres the thing. You might have a group of experts on finance/health/farming etc.... but that doesnt mean for one second that they will be good politicians. They will be tore apart during Dail debates, the minute your party puts a foot wrong you will be washed down the drain by people like Enda Kenny, Michael Martin, Gerry Adams who have been doing this for years.

The only realistic way you could pull this of is to headhunt specific people who are already in politics. Find someone that you like from every constituencey in the country and convince them to join. Something like that would have a far greater chance of working.

To: gunny558
    What you say has a lot of sense and looks like a detailed plan for new party creation.
    But a bit pessimistic.
    Nothing is build in one step. My first step is to see if there are people around who shares same ideas. My next step is to find people who would like to contribute their time and effort into new party. I don't have finance or business support. I'm ordinary folk on average industrial age.
    I pay rent for 11 years and still not able to buy a house.
    I can't get proper medical service for my family from public system and have to pay 150 Euro for private consultations from time to time with very limited benefit out of that.
    I find that childcare cost is not affordable.
    And I'm ready to fight to change that.
    My understanding is that Dail TDs don't really want to change anything. They built the country for themselves and feel very comfortable here.
    They probably don't care about buying their first home.
    They probably can get proper medical services and childcare costs doesn't bother them too much.
    I see my electorate as families with children who shares same concerns.
    Of cause we can write all our frustration out on this forum and do nothing else.
    New party will not be able to win majority in first general elections but getting 5 seats is realistic. And this is a way to be heard.

To partyatmygaff:
    I don't want to cut Junior Doctors salaries. I just want to hire more of them and improve their working conditions. I want to cut consultant's salaries.
    Providing good public medical services will stop these lads to rob you on private consultations.

To partyatmygaff:
    I don't want to cut Junior Doctors salaries. I just want to hire more of them and improve their working conditions. I want to cut consultant's salaries.
    Providing good public medical services will stop these lads to rob you on private consultations.

With what money? If you significantly cut consultant's salaries, many current consultants and aspiring dcoctors will just leave the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Your party needs more thought. There is already partys out there playing the populist tune. I'd rather an honest party with a realistic manifesto not an idealistic one. I would get behind a new party with a middle ground approach but it's never gonna happen, honesty won't get me or you elected!

With what money? If you significantly cut consultant's salaries, many current consultants and aspiring dcoctors will just leave the country.

Nobody will leave the country as they won't be able to find more favorable conditions. Don't listen to government propaganda about money shortage. You get functioning health system for that money and bring Ireland to good healthcare standards.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Your party needs more thought. There is already partys out there playing the populist tune. I'd rather an honest party with a realistic manifesto not an idealistic one. I would get behind a new party with a middle ground approach but it's never gonna happen, honesty won't get me or you elected!
    Abolish water charges is populist tune. But nevertheless some candidates is elected only on ground of that without promising anything else.

Nobody will leave the country as they won't be able to find more favorable conditions. Don't listen to government propaganda about money shortage. You get functioning health system for that money and bring Ireland to good healthcare standards.
    Do you have any idea about working in Healthcare in Ireland (or anywhere)?

:confused:

• Advertisement

Abolish water charges is populist tune. But nevertheless some candidates is elected only on ground of that without promising anything else.
    Do you want to pull the wool over people's eyes and just get elected or do you actually want to change things?

To: gunny558
    What you say has a lot of sense and looks like a detailed plan for new party creation.
    But a bit pessimistic.
    Nothing is build in one step. My first step is to see if there are people around who shares same ideas. My next step is to find people who would like to contribute their time and effort into new party. I don't have finance or business support. I'm ordinary folk on average industrial age.
    I pay rent for 11 years and still not able to buy a house.
    I can't get proper medical service for my family from public system and have to pay 150 Euro for private consultations from time to time with very limited benefit out of that.
    I find that childcare cost is not affordable.
    And I'm ready to fight to change that.
    My understanding is that Dail TDs don't really want to change anything. They built the country for themselves and feel very comfortable here.
    They probably don't care about buying their first home.
    They probably can get proper medical services and childcare costs doesn't bother them too much.
    I see my electorate as families with children who shares same concerns.
    Of cause we can write all our frustration out on this forum and do nothing else.
    New party will not be able to win majority in first general elections but getting 5 seats is realistic. And this is a way to be heard.

I dont mean to be pessimistic, Im just trying to be realistic. Starting a party is not an easy task. (Well starting a viable party I should say).

You know I did have a whole big reply typed out, but I figured you probably just want practical advice and a maybe a "how-to" so I figured what the heck....

So you are trying to get your 300 signatures.

Whats your views on Irish Water? If you oppose IW then handiest way is to go into any low income housing estate and look out for the "no consent no contract" pages hung up on windows.... this is the low hanging fruit so to speak.

You seem to be quite the regular with our medical insitutions? Again, that would be another easy target, I dont think anyone in the country is happy with the current setup. I know for example in Dundalk the hospital is being shutdown and they have regular protests that far exceed 300 people. I think last xmas they had over 1000 people protesting it (and a repeat is been organised for this xmas).

The thing is, when you go around these people some of them are going to shut you down, criticise you, ask difficult questions etc but this is invaluable practice for election times and will stand to you during your first Dail debate when one of the other TD's tries to cut you down. Right now you are on a clean slate so people should be relatively nice to you- I mean you can probably imagine the responses Enda Kenny, Michael Martin, Gerry Adams get.

Now if you put your mind to it you could have those 300 signatures in the next few days. When you get them come back to us and we can advise further for the next steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ok so why haven't they done it? If they nailed that they would almost get a free ride in this country.

And it's hardly propaganda from the government, as a country we are spending more than we earn. Austerity may be over to an extent but we still have a deficit in our budget. Your not going to get much support from intelligent voters if your heads in the sand.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Ok so why haven't they done it? If they nailed that they would almost get a free ride in this country.

And it's hardly propaganda from the government, as a country we are spending more than we earn. Austerity may be over to an extent but we still have a deficit in our budget. Your not going to get much support from intelligent voters if your heads in the sand.

I explained that a few posts above. Government doesn't want to change anything. They are totally comfortable in this country. They are too far away from ordinary folks. They are sitting on NAMA properties (nearly finished ) and didn't do anything to ease pressure in housing market. And we ordinary folks can't buy houses and pay huge rents but they don't care because they are landlords and we are renters. There is simply no wish for change.
    Austerity is necessary but it will not kick start economy. While building new houses will.

gunny558 wrote: »
    I dont mean to be pessimistic, Im just trying to be realistic. Starting a party is not an easy task. (Well starting a viable party I should say).

You know I did have a whole big reply typed out, but I figured you probably just want practical advice and a maybe a "how-to" so I figured what the heck....

So you are trying to get your 300 signatures.

Whats your views on Irish Water? If you oppose IW then handiest way is to go into any low income housing estate and look out for the "no consent no contract" pages hung up on windows.... this is the low hanging fruit so to speak.

You seem to be quite the regular with our medical insitutions? Again, that would be another easy target, I dont think anyone in the country is happy with the current setup. I know for example in Dundalk the hospital is being shutdown and they have regular protests that far exceed 300 people. I think last xmas they had over 1000 people protesting it (and a repeat is been organised for this xmas).

The thing is, when you go around these people some of them are going to shut you down, criticise you, ask difficult questions etc but this is invaluable practice for election times and will stand to you during your first Dail debate when one of the other TD's tries to cut you down. Right now you are on a clean slate so people should be relatively nice to you- I mean you can probably imagine the responses Enda Kenny, Michael Martin, Gerry Adams get.

Now if you put your mind to it you could have those 300 signatures in the next few days. When you get them come back to us and we can advise further for the next steps.

On Irish Water issue I'll be quite honest. I don't see a big deal here. All world is paying for water and doesn't have problem with that. As long as charges are reasonable that's OK.
    I don't like other people exploiting that idea and be elected on populist terms that they will abolish water charges. Cost of the question 20 Euro a month per household. A single private medical consultation 140- 200 Euro (you see the difference). People are just blinded by populist actions and don't see real reap off (medical, housing, childcare).
    I also don't want "the low hanging fruit". I want to build the party on fair and honest terms. While I appreciate political advice but at the moment I'm looking for people to take part as I can't do everything myself. I have full time job and a family and can't dedicate all my time to politics. That's why I'm here on this forum.

On Irish Water issue I'll be quite honest. I don't see a big deal here. All world is paying for water and doesn't have problem with that. As long as charges are reasonable that's OK.
    I don't like other people exploiting that idea and be elected on populist terms that they will abolish water charges. Cost of the question 20 Euro a month per household. A single private medical consultation 140- 200 Euro (you see the difference). People are just blinded by populist actions and don't see real reap off (medical, housing, childcare).
    I also don't want "the low hanging fruit". I want to build the party on fair and honest terms. While I appreciate political advice but at the moment I'm looking for people to take part as I can't do everything myself. I have full time job and a family and can't dedicate all my time to politics. That's why I'm here on this forum.

That there bit in bold is going to be a serious issue if you plan on getting into politics.

If you're just looking for general support and to meet like minded people then the best way is to start networking and go around the country to all the different events that you expect to find likeminded people.

So for example, you keep going back to the medical issues, why not go to the Dundalk protests it will be late next month and there will probably be 1000 people there with similar views to yourself. Now granted they are fighting for public healthcare..... but Im sure they would back the idea of slashing private healthcare prices (which is what you are saying?).

I explained that a few posts above. Government doesn't want to change anything. They are totally comfortable in this country.They are too far away from ordinary folks. They are sitting on NAMA properties (nearly finished ) and didn't do anything to ease pressure in housing market. And we ordinary folks can't buy houses and pay huge rents but they don't care because they are landlords and we are renters. There is simply no wish for change.
    Austerity is necessary but it will not kick start economy. While building new houses will.
    How exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

so help people to buy houses they can't really afford, and pay them to have kids they can't really afford.
    sounds good :rolleyes:

I would absolutely be prepared to donate to a new party if I thought it stood a good chance of success and had good policies...

• Advertisement

How exactly?

Simple math 16 000 houses * 250 k each = 4 Billion
    clear investment into economy and not from budget but from banking system
    Plus new jobs.

so help people to buy houses they can't really afford, and pay them to have kids they can't really afford.
    sounds good :rolleyes:

They can afford at right prices. People just put into situation when they can't afford it.
    People on reasonable salaries can't afford houses at 500 k each, but they can afford 250 - 300 k houses. Government allowed prices to rise to make sure there is no such houses on the market (I mean Dublin ). Again childcare at up to 1100 a month and not allowing tax credit against this is also not affordable.

Simple math 16 000 houses * 250 k each = 4 Billion
    clear investment into economy and not from budget but from banking system
    Plus new jobs.

You realise this is almost a textbook definition of a housing bubble right?

Housing, childcare and consultant fees - it seems like your proposed party's only real goal is to solve the problems you currently face. And while i sympathise with you on these issues i strongly suggest you do much more research and broaden your approach. what's your stance on macro economic issues? How to approach Brussels? London? the US? What's the plan for encouraging inward investment? How do you fix our healthcare system (apart from make your own bills cheaper)? What the long term plan for education? How do we deal with the north?

There is such a multitude of issues you need to think about, that list is just a few off the top of my head? Rather than the three you just mentioned which are certainly important to making your life better, these ones are critical to the future of our whole society.

In fact i really would suggest that there is little difference between your "new party" and the existing ones. You want to start a party to solve your own problems, rather than for the common good - which is exactly what you say the other parties already do.

So what's so new about your party? where do you show you're acting in anything other than your own self interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I agree a new party is needed.but I won't support any party who goes into government with current muppets fg and last muppets ff that includes the green party muppets.maybe independents or some of them could consider getting together alliance.ireland needs a change .maybe we see it or maybe not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Unless your new party is going to tackle the cost of Governance from the waste in Government to dragging the Public Service into the 21st century then you are not going to offer anything new.

Whilst talk of raising the minimum wage, hiring more doctors, building more housing are noble you need to fund it from somewhere.

A lot of employers, especially SME's are struggling so increasing the minimum wage could send them under or at best mean they fire people to stay afloat. The better way to approach this is to increase the take home pay in people pockets.

Abolish the "job for life mantra" that exists in the PS. Flatten the management structures, have proper permformance management where those that deserve it get recognition and reward and those that under perform are given the opportunity to improve but if they don't they are fired. Free up the public service to easily reallocate staff and in extreme cases like the crash or when a government service has been rationalised be able to let people go.

You do this and then you should have funds to push towards the front line services.

You realise this is almost a textbook definition of a housing bubble right?

Housing, childcare and consultant fees - it seems like your proposed party's only real goal is to solve the problems you currently face. And while i sympathise with you on these issues i strongly suggest you do much more research and broaden your approach. what's your stance on macro economic issues? How to approach Brussels? London? the US? What's the plan for encouraging inward investment? How do you fix our healthcare system (apart from make your own bills cheaper)? What the long term plan for education? How do we deal with the north?

There is such a multitude of issues you need to think about, that list is just a few off the top of my head? Rather than the three you just mentioned which are certainly important to making your life better, these ones are critical to the future of our whole society.

In fact i really would suggest that there is little difference between your "new party" and the existing ones. You want to start a party to solve your own problems, rather than for the common good - which is exactly what you say the other parties already do.

So what's so new about your party? where do you show you're acting in anything other than your own self interest?

First of all:
    Political parties exist to protect somebody's interest. That's what they suppose to do. My party will protect interest of families with children. I see current and previous government policies as anti-child policies. No proper medical system, no relieve on childcare expenses, tax discrimination of one income families, no recognition of child related expenses in tax system. My party is totally different from existing ones. At least I give you exact targets I'm aiming to achieve and not useless talk about reforms. If you want to make planning on broader range of issue as you mentioned above you are welcome to join.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Unless your new party is going to tackle the cost of Governance from the waste in Government to dragging the Public Service into the 21st century then you are not going to offer anything new.

Whilst talk of raising the minimum wage, hiring more doctors, building more housing are noble you need to fund it from somewhere.

A lot of employers, especially SME's are struggling so increasing the minimum wage could send them under or at best mean they fire people to stay afloat. The better way to approach this is to increase the take home pay in people pockets.

Abolish the "job for life mantra" that exists in the PS. Flatten the management structures, have proper permformance management where those that deserve it get recognition and reward and those that under perform are given the opportunity to improve but if they don't they are fired. Free up the public service to easily reallocate staff and in extreme cases like the crash or when a government service has been rationalised be able to let people go.

You do this and then you should have funds to push towards the front line services.

I don't think the better way is to increase home taken income. The better way is to provide good healthcare system. Actually I can make it pay for itself. Reasonable 20 Euro consultation fee would be enough to pay a doctor's salary. What would you choose: 20 Euro and 1 week waiting time or free and 1 year waiting time. I think answer is obvious. All your mentioning about performance of public sector is more manager task rather than party election manifest. Again I don't believe in that moaning about employers not able to pay more. McDonalds can pay more but never will until forced to do so. If business is not viable 1 Euro per hour difference doesn't make it viable. I'm more concerned about people living on minimum wage rather than employer's greed.

First of all:
    Political parties exist to protect somebody's interest. That's what they suppose to do. My party will protect interest of families with children.

So it's not a new party you're suggesting, it's the same old party we already have, looking after the vested interests at the expense of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If business is not viable 1 Euro per hour difference doesn't make it viable. I'm more concerned about people living on minimum wage rather than employer's greed.

I'd have thought that Euro could clearly be the difference between being viable and not.
    For example a restaurant that averages 20 staff for 10 hours a day 360 days a year, well one Euro an hour has changed its finances by €72K, an amount which can turn a business from viable to bankrupt. A mere €1 an hour extra for the lowly paid staff.

To be frank you come across as someone who has decided a) exactly what you want for yourself and b) that someone else is going to pay for it.
    Its not exactly a terrible position in fairness as plenty of other parties successfully hold that ground, but you should at least acknowledge that its the politics of 'cant someone else pay?'

Good luck anyway.

the minimum wage for the most part, is probably not problematic outside Dublin...
    To be frank you come across as someone who has decided a) exactly what you want for yourself and b) that someone else is going to pay for it.
    Its not exactly a terrible position in fairness as plenty of other parties successfully hold that ground, but you should at least acknowledge that its the politics of 'cant someone else pay?'

I would argue that what he wants is more than reasonable, ridiculous childcare costs, medical costs if you dont have a medical card, housing costs.

I think its ridiculous to claim that everyone is doing roughly the same in terms of their contribution during the austerity years and now the recovery, OAP's got away with murder for example, the cost of governance as Gandalf mentioned, was another that was skirted around...

Newparty, I would also agree with your statement on the actually dont want to change anything, look at them from term to term, its a case of get away with doing as little as you can...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't think the better way is to increase home taken income.

Why not, at the end of the day it's the take home pay that everyone cares about?
    The better way is to provide good healthcare system. Actually I can make it pay for itself. Reasonable 20 Euro consultation fee would be enough to pay a doctor's salary. What would you choose: 20 Euro and 1 week waiting time or free and 1 year waiting time. I think answer is obvious.

And it think it is absolutely obvious that tackling the vast over employment of administration and non medical management is key to fixing our health service. Your €20 consultation fee will not even scratch the surface of the cost to run the health service. Until you reform the whole system you are flushing good money down after bad!
    All your mentioning about performance of public sector is more manager task rather than party election manifest.

Bull**** how our tax money is spent and invested in the Public Sector should be top of the agenda of any political party.
    Again I don't believe in that moaning about employers not able to pay more.

Really what do you base this on? I have seen first hand the devastation that was wreaked on SME's in this country over the last eight years. Any additional costs could send a lot of businesses under that are struggling. If you reduce costs to businesses to facilitate them offering a higher wage then that would make more sense. Again we are back at reducing the cost of Public Services.
    McDonalds can pay more but never will until forced to do so.

Are you sure, you are aware that the McDonalds restaurants in this country operate as franchises?
    If business is not viable 1 Euro per hour difference doesn't make it viable. I'm more concerned about people living on minimum wage rather than employer's greed.

ArmaniJeanss example above has clearly shown how making a change like this could push a company from breaking even to losing money. I would prefer companies stay afloat and keep paying wages rather than going out of business because some people didn't think through their ideas properly.

• Advertisement

I'd have thought that Euro could clearly be the difference between being viable and not.
    For example a restaurant that averages 20 staff for 10 hours a day 360 days a year, well one Euro an hour has changed its finances by €72K, an amount which can turn a business from viable to bankrupt. A mere €1 an hour extra for the lowly paid staff.

Good luck anyway.

I appreciate the point you are making.

But if a restuarant has 20 staff working at any given time? A restuarant that size probably isnt going to sink if you take 70K out of their end profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I appreciate the point you are making.

But if a restuarant has 20 staff working at any given time? A restuarant that size probably isnt going to sink if you take 70K out of their end profits.

It is If there profit is 35k.

It is If there profit is 35k.

If a restuarant has 20 staff on the floor at all times, from my very limited restuarant work as a teenager, lets suppose they have 40-45 employees on the books.

A company that size is probably not going to go bankrupt over a 75K bill.

Most likely they will pass the extra 1euro per hour for all staff (20euro) back onto the customer.

All they have to do is work out how many customers they have per hour (which will be a lot for a restuarant that size) and divide that number into 20euro and theres your 75K paid.

Actually, after reading today's Metro: reintroduction of rent relief would be right thing to do.
    Not joke tax relief like before, but real one: 20 % relief on rents paid up to 1500 a month.
    No double taxations on rents ( tenants + landlords). If landlords pay tax on rental income tenants should be given tax relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So that means increasing USC by 6% and removing all exemptions from USC in other to finance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If a restuarant has 20 staff on the floor at all times, from my very limited restuarant work as a teenager, lets suppose they have 40-45 employees on the books.

A company that size is probably not going to go bankrupt over a 75K bill.

Most likely they will pass the extra 1euro per hour for all staff (20euro) back onto the customer.

All they have to do is work out how many customers they have per hour (which will be a lot for a restuarant that size) and divide that number into 20euro and theres your 75K paid.

Then they will go bankrupt as they will have less customers.

On today Metro: Rehab chief to get 140 K
    Legislation is required to restrict salaries of charity workers to say 60 K and prosecute those who breaches that.
    People donate their money to help homeless or other vulnerable groups and not to finance lavish lifestyle of charity bosses.
    This is clear breach of trust.

Godge wrote: »
    Then they will go bankrupt as they will have less customers.

And how do you make that out?

I worked in a restuarant for a few summers as a teenager and with 7 of us we would handle about 25 customers.

ArmaniJeans is talking about a restuarant that has 20 staff on the floor at any given time .... so lets say they are catering to 50-55 customers.

With that amount of customers you just need to get an extra 35cent per customer. You would make that up pretty handy. And to be fair, I have often seen restuarants put up main courses by 50cent, or wine by 1euro and they dont go bankrupt as you seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Break the monopoly of the medical and law professions. Reform the way the law society and the bar control justice in Ireland. the IMO have far too much power and dictate how the health system is run.
    Invest in more local communities through the provision of sports facilities for schools and clubs, local childcare and local healthcare. Funded through a tax on natural resources - it works in the likes of Texas. If the state doesn't want to provide services, then let the local communities cater for their needs.
    We need a reform of the local planning laws, with locals having a proper say in local planning decisions. Houses need to built in villages in order to ensure the viability of schools, shops, post offices etc
    reform of the Dail. too many TDs being paid too much, and ministers definitely being paid too much.

nice_guy80 what you are saying is exactly what the troika proposed, of course they changed as little as they could get away with...

• Advertisement
Advertisement