Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports in Ballina

Options
  • 26-10-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Can someone point me in the right direction, i would like to get involved in sports again Football, Basketball, Netball etc I'm 25 years old & working in Ballina Mayo at the moment. I'm pretty nervous but need to get out more, i just don't know where to begin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

There is basketball in the leisure centre on Wednesdays at 6pm. I think anyone can show up. Maybe call the centre before hand.

Football season is over. It will start again in January. There are two clubs in the town - Stephenites and Ardnaree. Both have facebook pages which are regularly updated.

Rugby club also and not sure of times.

Athletics club goes at 7pm every Tuesday and Thursday from Track/Ballina Town soccer pitches. They are on facebook.

They are also a couple of gyms - functional fitness opposite Dunnes which seems quite popular.

One step at a time. Make contact and show up. Then do it as often as you can. After awhile you will get to know people.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

there is a really active squash club in town at the moment lost of new players in the last year or so. they are based in the stephenites clubhouse. you can get the contact details through the stephenites website or they also have a facebook page at ballina squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

running ? ballina ac, fit for life ( all abilities from good runners to people starting off ) meet tues wed thurs i think at the track, check facebook

parkrun starting on saturday morning at the athletics track, 5k run throuhg the woods , free, coffee afterwards , therel be a good crowd at it ..

swimming, if you can swim and want to improve tri swim west are in the pool tuesday and thursday at 9, 30 odd people, all abilities from complete fish to those that can just about do a length

there has been a touch rugby league for the past few years, and from what i heard teams would always be looking for people to make up full teams, not sure what time of year though

loads of gaelic teams within 10 minute radius of town as well,smaller parish clubs, always short of players and always looking

same with soccer clubs, although league probably finished now for a while

check facebook for ballina ac and tri swim west , also theres the triathlon club and cycling clubs, both may appear to have only the super fit as members but in reality theres all kinds of everyone in both clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Badminton is in the sports centre. Think it's Weds night for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KJohnson7780

finisklin wrote: »
    There is basketball in the leisure centre on Wednesdays at 6pm. I think anyone can show up. Maybe call the centre before hand.

Football season is over. It will start again in January. There are two clubs in the town - Stephenites and Ardnaree. Both have facebook pages which are regularly updated.

Rugby club also and not sure of times.

Athletics club goes at 7pm every Tuesday and Thursday from Track/Ballina Town soccer pitches. They are on facebook.

They are also a couple of gyms - functional fitness opposite Dunnes which seems quite popular.

One step at a time. Make contact and show up. Then do it as often as you can. After awhile you will get to know people.

Best of luck.

Where is the Leisure centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KJohnson7780

That's what i thought unfortunately they don't have basketball teams for adults anymore, i emailed them a couple of weeks ago

Advertisement