Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covered food market - any update?

Options
  • 26-10-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I remember reading earlier in the year that Dublin was to get a "continental-style" indoor food market (http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/26/finally-107/ ). I have searched online but have not been able to find any more updates on this - does anyone know if this is still on track to be ready in 2015?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I remember reading earlier in the year that Dublin was to get a "continental-style" indoor food market (http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/26/finally-107/). I have searched online but have not been able to find any more updates on this - does anyone know if this is still on track to be ready in 2015?

Link doesn't seem to work. Was it the plan to turn the wholesale fruit market just off chapel st into part retail? BID keep on talking about it happening but there is little sign of it actually happening. There would need to be a fair bit of work done to bring it up to standard and I would imagine getting the funding is tricky.

Was it possibly about the Iveagh Markets? There have been several plans for it over the years but nothing ever happened.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/buildings-at-risk-former-liberties-hub-set-for-new-lease-of-life-1.1946563

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

foreign wrote: »
    Was it possibly about the Iveagh Markets? There have been several plans for it over the years but nothing ever happened.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/buildings-at-risk-former-liberties-hub-set-for-new-lease-of-life-1.1946563

No I think it was supposed to be the fruit market in between Capel Street and Church Street. I think only part of it was going to be a artisan market and the keep the rest as the fruit and veg section. Im sure something is being done on it currently. But it takes forever for DCC to do projects like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Sorry - URL updated, think the bracket caused an issue. Yes it was the fruit market I was referring to! I just assumed there would be some update after the plans were submitted but cannot see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Sorry - URL updated, think the bracket caused an issue. Yes it was the fruit market I was referring to! I just assumed there would be some update after the plans were submitted but cannot see anything.

They still say its going to happen but whether or not is another matter. I have a shop nearby so it would be great if they did get it done!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fsspuggy

Can't verify anything but I work across the road from the fruit market and there's plenty of chatter among the lads that it is to be turned "partly" into the artisan market next month. Again this is what the guys working there say, no confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

There are planning applications posted at each entrance describing the intended changes. I live nearby. The plan is to convert half of the space to a permanent food market and leave the other half for the wholesale fruit market. No doubt the entire interior will be done up. There is to be a glass entrance constructed on the chancery st side. The daisy market is also to get some love, and the carpark redeveloped as a carpark/seating area I believe.

Great idea, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

Yes, the city council have posted plans for public consultation with the decision about going ahead to be put before the city councillors in Dec for approval. The currents plans are allocating over 60% of the inside wholesaler market plus the old Daisy market to a new retail market. Initially the retail market will open at weekends( but city planners a bit vague on this) .
    The wholesaler traders while agreeing with a retail market, are totally opposed to the huge reduction of space and the proposal that they will be fenced off in their section.
    Also the removal of the car park ( Chancery St ) at the bottom of the market will be removed and all the loading spaces along St Michans St will destroy their business.

Advertisement