Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it feasible to do honours Irish in 1 year?

• 26-10-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm currently in liberal arts and was considering taking the year out and repeating my leaving cert Irish exam only at higher level. I got a B3 in ordinary level and I might aswell be honest and say that I never put a single ounce of work into Irish - ever. Its also worth mentioning that I've been in ordinary level since 2nd year.
    People I've asked said it'd be one subject, it wouldn't be easy but it should be feasible to get a C3 with a bit of hard work. In terms of how i'd repeat my school said I could sit in on both 5th and 6th year classes and my teacher said she'd help me out with stuff any free class she had. I'd also get maybe one grind a week from a woman I know in the Gaeltacht.
    Even if I got the C3 what I want to know is would I struggle with the Irish involved in the actual primary teaching course itself? The course itself seems attractive as there are a lot more hours than arts, it seems more practical and I like the idea of having class groups who you get to know very well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

It is feasible. I was working full time and repeating honours Irish. Lots of people do it. I went from a B3 in pass to a B2 in honours. That was with a 12 year break between my Leaving Cert and when I repeated Irish. It's very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I would say if youre dedicated enough you wont have any problem getting the HC3
    I got an A2 in the leaving last year and always considered myself good at irish until I started the primary teaching course this year. I wouldnt say I struggle but the standard is quite high and its one of the more difficult classes. That said with hard work you should be fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I helping someone at the moment who is doing it in one year. It is doable. I've seen people do it in the past. Just get a good grammar book and start at the start. Then do all the grammar excercises. Start reading bits, even a very simple book and make note of new words. You have an advantage over a lot of people repeating in that you've done the current course before. The course was completely different when my student did it. Also look up the sraith pictiur, some will be the same, some different.

If you really work on your oral and have a good essay you should manage it. But for the sake of the course afterwards you should know the grammar and be able to write your own stuff. Learning and regurgitating won't help you for college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Definitely. Ignore the poetry and stories, they're only worth 16%. Focus on getting good at the oral and reading comprehensions, and learn some good essays.

Advertisement