Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on coin meter

Options
  • 26-10-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm a student and have moved into a shared house that has a coin-operated electricity meter. I have never been in a house with one before and I was wondering how the price per kWh is updated on them? I might be paying more, or less than the going rate depending on whether it has been adjusted recently. Is the price set by the landlord or the esb? What is the normal price per kWh?

Really any info or advice on these meters is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Aezur wrote: »
    I'm a student and have moved into a shared house that has a coin-operated electricity meter. I have never been in a house with one before and I was wondering how the price per kWh is updated on them? I might be paying more, or less than the going rate depending on whether it has been adjusted recently. Is the price set by the landlord or the esb? What is the normal price per kWh?

Really any info or advice on these meters is greatly appreciated.
    the landlord has installed this on his side and can set it to whatever he wants it to be, basically he gets a normal bill at the normal rate from his supplier and he pays it, he just put in this "meter" between his normal ESB meter and the house/apt, so basically its a switch that controls the 'on/off' of the power going into the house - put X amount in, power turns on for X amount of units/time.

The ESB don't own these or install them or maintain them at all, its purely the landlord who would have got an electrician to install it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Aezur,

Thanks for your post.
    Aezur wrote:
    Is the price set by the landlord or the esb?

Just to confirm ukoda's answer above, the effective unit price for a coin-operated meter would be at the discretion of the landlord only - these are not owned or installed by ESB Networks, or offered by any electricity supplier.

We do offer a pay-as-you-go meter to customers, and previously installed token (or card) meters; neither of these are coin-operated however.
    Aezur wrote:
    What is the normal price per kWh?

Our standard unit price €0.1701 per unit (or €0.1931 incl. VAT). If you were on our ValueSaver electricity priceplan (with a 15% discount), the effective unit rates would be €0.1446 (or €0.1641 incl. VAT). See here for more information.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement