Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two dogs from Croatia

• 26-10-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello everybody,

I live in Split Croatia, at the moment considering job offer in Dublin. In the case that everything goes wel, I will relocate to Ireland with my family. But, we have two dogs, poodle and wire haired dachshund.
    I would like to ask you is it possible to bring our pets with us? This is because I know about Brittish policy of isolation of all animals for six months period...Is this still in power, whats the situation in Ireland? Do you have same law over there ?

Then another question, how hard it is to find a flat or house for rent with the dogs, they always lived in the apartment of course. I guess this can be a problem as well...

Thanks for any help

Ivan, Split, Croatia

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They will have to do six months in quarantine unless Croatia is part of the pet passport scheme

Renting with pets is difficult here and will make it hard for you to find somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 27 splitcro

Thank you very much, I guess that Croatia is part of pet passport scheme, but I will check it pou, another part is already a problematic :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

HI splitcro,
    Congratulations on your job offer in Dublin!
    Here is where you'll find the list of countries that qualify for the pet passport scheme, Croatia is one of them:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/qualifyingcountriesterritories/listofeumemberstateseuropeancountries/

And here are the steps you need to take to get your dogs ready for the journey:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/entryrequirementsforpetsfromtheeu/

So, there's a bit of preparation to do, but as long as you're ready well in advance it's not a big deal. Your vet should be a good support for you throughout.

As for getting pet-friendly accommodation, do you know what part of Dublin your new job is based in? Dublin city center has a lot of apartments, but as you move further out from the center, you're looking at lots of housing estates with townhouses, and semi-detached houses with gardens.
    It might help if you can gather references from landlords who will attest that your dogs have been well-behaved and no damage caused by them. But it can be difficult enough to get pet-friendly accommodation... easier as you move away from Dublin' center and suburbs though :)

Thank you DBB, I guess I will have to spend some more time and probably look for accomodation somewhere out of the city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you know the approximate location of the job we could probably suggest areas from which it would be easily accessible. Will you be driving? That opens up so many options.

For example my husband works in Dublin, but owing to the location of the office in Dublin and the fact we drive, we live in Kildare and it takes him 30 mins to get to work. If he was on public transport it would be impossible to live where we do and harder for us to have our dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

At the same time, there are some city centre locations that allow pets. My brother-in-law rents a small house with a tiny back garden on the southside of the city. I can walk right into the very centre from his place in about 15 mins, although it must be said I am a fast walker. He cycles to his job, down near the ferryport, in about 20 mins, and they have on-street parking in their cul-de-sac.

They are allowed pets: his girlfriend keeps 2 rabbits, which as a teacher she is allowed to take in to school during the day, where they have an enclosed space to hang out. They don't feel they have the time or energy for dogs, but there is no reason they wouldn't be able to keep them if that were otherwise: their next-door-neighbour has 3.

Personally, if I worked in Dublin, I would prefer to live a little farther out to have more space for my dog, but I'd say you definitely do have different options, especially as your dogs are smaller (unless the poodle is a standard?) I do know other people renting centrally who are allowed to keep pets too. Let us know if you need advice which areas those sorts of houses are in. Many of them do have good parks and canal-side walks for the dogs nearby too.

Whispered wrote: »
    If you know the approximate location of the job we could probably suggest areas from which it would be easily accessible. Will you be driving? That opens up so many options.

For example my husband works in Dublin, but owing to the location of the office in Dublin and the fact we drive, we live in Kildare and it takes him 30 mins to get to work. If he was on public transport it would be impossible to live where we do and harder for us to have our dogs.

Thank you Whispered, I will be driving for sure, and I guess that I will look for accomodation out of the city. I have to find out some informations about school as well, and then I will have to find some balance - work - school - dogs.

Thanks once more...

ferretone wrote: »
    At the same time, there are some city centre locations that allow pets. My brother-in-law rents a small house with a tiny back garden on the southside of the city. I can walk right into the very centre from his place in about 15 mins, although it must be said I am a fast walker. He cycles to his job, down near the ferryport, in about 20 mins, and they have on-street parking in their cul-de-sac.

They are allowed pets: his girlfriend keeps 2 rabbits, which as a teacher she is allowed to take in to school during the day, where they have an enclosed space to hang out. They don't feel they have the time or energy for dogs, but there is no reason they wouldn't be able to keep them if that were otherwise: their next-door-neighbour has 3.

Personally, if I worked in Dublin, I would prefer to live a little farther out to have more space for my dog, but I'd say you definitely do have different options, especially as your dogs are smaller (unless the poodle is a standard?) I do know other people renting centrally who are allowed to keep pets too. Let us know if you need advice which areas those sorts of houses are in. Many of them do have good parks and canal-side walks for the dogs nearby too.

Feretone, thanks so much for your kind advices, my dogs are small and they don't need lot of space, and even lot of space for walking, they are 6 and 9 y.o., in the apartment from the first day. I will need advice about interesting areas when I collect few more informations...

Advertisement