Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bikes you'd secretly love a go on, but slag them off in front of your mates

• 26-10-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

For obvious reasons
    The Goldwing

Haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Simple - BMW's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

A Harley,

.....can't believe I even typed that, let alone posted it.... ;-<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Put me down for a BMW C1, a goldwing or a glt. What's the 3 wheeled thingie, an aprillia mp3? Would love a go of that!

But imagine you took a go of a goldwing and discovered you liked it? **shudder**
    ratracer wrote: »
    A Harley,

.....can't believe I even typed that, let alone posted it.... ;-<

You're missing nothing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Any cruiser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd a LOVE/HATE thing for Vespa's, then in 2001 I came home from service in Lebanon with enough money to buy me a new R1.. I went into the city to view one, and rode home on a brand new 2001 Vespa PX200 lol ~ I loved it and rode it for almost ten years :)

I sort of toyed with the idea of a vespa, until I rode one, Its like driving a brick on wheels, It took me 10 mins to realise this!
    10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

3or 4 years ago a guy walking down the street asked me do I know anyone who'd buy a moped(yamaha spy 50)
    I said how much?
    He said 250!
    I said 100!
    He said no!
    I said 150!
    He said ok!

Actually had great crack around the yard at home on it!
    I sold it on about a year later for the same price as I paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cienciano wrote: »
    Put me down for a BMW C1, a goldwing or a glt. What's the 3 wheeled thingie, an aprillia mp3? Would love a go of that!

But imagine you took a go of a goldwing and discovered you liked it? **shudder**

You're missing nothing.

Actually, you're missing everything. ... That's the point..

Me, MP3 and a Goldwing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

C90
    ...or a Honda Valkyrie

1257767014_368_FT9173_122_0309_06z2004_honda_valkyrieside_view.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Thats gorgeous

Ah man, I have way too much respect for C90s to slag them off! Unstoppable they are

DubVelo wrote: »
    C90
    ...or a Honda Valkyrie

1257767014_368_FT9173_122_0309_06z2004_honda_valkyrieside_view.jpg

That's a Rune, not a Valkyrie. Worth a few bob if you had one now. .. There was one in Sligo iirc

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

A Valkyrie Rune? Still a Valkyrie limited edition. Certainly not to be confused with the C90 :)

Whatever it's called, I was just reading earlier the Japanese market ones had a reverse gear! :pac:

I think some goldwings and bmws have reverse gears, which apart from coming in handy when parked frontward on a slope with a wall in front of you, would also help in putting the bike on its centre stand.

At 375kg or so (depending which website you believe), I wouldn't complain!

I wouldn't complain either, but I would, without a shadow of a doubt, slag a mate that had reverse on their bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

One of those new electric HarleyD's. 0-60 in the blink of an eye in silent maglev type, steady escalating velocity on sub 100kg bike.

But the idea of large pack of batteries emitting an EM flux field around the area of the ghonas wouldn't be ideal, nor having to remember to plug in every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

I think some goldwings and bmws have reverse gears, which apart from coming in handy when parked frontward on a slope with a wall in front of you, would also help in putting the bike on its centre stand.

Does the Goldwing not have an electric/automatic main stand of some type? Thought i heard a fella saying this due to the size/weight of the beast.

Anyway, I'd have to say a Goldwing. Saw one years ago as a kid in france. German couple, with their kid in the side car.towing a small trailer with their tent and kit.the perfect family vehicle!!

• Advertisement

@Joe Doe
    Have you seen Charge? Its on netflix, thouroughly enjoyed it

Does the Goldwing not have an electric/automatic main stand of some type? Thought i heard a fella saying this due to the size/weight of the beast.

Could be right, thought they were just putting the stand down and then hitting reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

@Joe Doe
    Have you seen Charge? Its on netflix, thouroughly enjoyed it

IMDB gives it only 6.8, 2010 production may have been a bit early. No doubt they'll take over in years to come as the carbon tax gravy train aka 'global warming scam' continues to gather speed as such.

No reason why ebikes won't be able to say hello to petrol beating performances, just as long as NFC wireless keys don't come out, there has already been a spate of 'luxury car borrowing' due to hackers using this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1855152/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

a bmw gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I know the BMW LT (their goldwing) did have a hydraulic main stand. Very handy, you could put the stand down with 2 people sitting on the bike.

I wouldn't complain either, but I would, without a shadow of a doubt, slag a mate that had reverse on their bike :)

If my 360 kg bike had reverse I wouldn't give a hoot if you slagged me so long as I wasn't pushing a 1/3 of a tonne around. :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

Cienciano wrote: »
    I know the BMW LT (their goldwing) did have a hydraulic main stand. Very handy, you could put the stand down with 2 people sitting on the bike.
    If I'm not mistaken, that particular bike also had a mirror in the inside of the topbox, so when opened, one could admire themselves? I'd say it lit up too!

But again, I'd love a go on one, but you betcha, I'd slag you for riding one.

I also wouldn't be slagging the GS 1200, as much as I love the TDM , I'd prefer a shafty, I bought a revere back in the days I was a courier for €350 and got 3 good years out of it, before I ran out of space and gave it back to the guy that sold to me. So when you weigh up the disposables and resale value, they're probably not a bad deal. Consider the price of a chain and spockets over 3 years, it would amount to €200 every 6 months if i was lucky, so 1200 quid over the 3 years on a bike that cost 350.

(anybody else find it easy to justify the expense of a new bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's a Rune, not a Valkyrie. Worth a few bob if you had one now. .. There was one in Sligo iirc

A mate of mine has one.
    He was looking for a back tyre a while back....€350!! Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

This:
    pMhLSWv.jpg

I think this is a custom made bike. Ridiculous looking, but I would love to have a spin in it.

If I recall correctly, it has just 3 gears (one being reverse). And it's somewhere around 500 bhp.

Advertisement