Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IBT modules 1,2,3,4 completed :)

• 26-10-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Lurker in this forum for a while, but IBT modules 1,2,3,4 done over the last 2 days, totally brand new to bikes at 40years of age so was a daunting experience at times. Found the slow manoeuvers tricky to master and city center traffic today was tough as I was so tense on the bike. Weather was terrible today with rain and wind but still loved the country road driving :) despite the tailgaters.

Originally was hoping to start off on a 400/600cc bike but having been on a 125cc bike I think I will pick up one of those to get comfortable on the basics and so do a lot more carpark work, which I found harder than the open road, then do a progression module 5 on a larger bike.

All in all, great craic :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Well done. Welcome to the biking community.

Personally, I'd advise against the 125 though. You'll get very bored of it very quickly and you'll find it's underpowered for when you do get on to motorways and N roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Thanks, am I not restricted now up to 125cc - having done it on a 125cc..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Surely your instructor should have given you all the info you need mate. You are only "restricted" to a bike after you done your IBT in what ever catagory the bike you did it on belongs too.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Surely your instructor should have given you all the info you need mate. You are only "restricted" to a bike after you done your test in what ever catagory the bike you did it on belongs too.

Yep, your right - information overload in the last 2 days, checked my notes again this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Best of luck on the open road dude, take it slow and learn the basics well. Dont worry about speed, that will come automatically when you have nailed the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grats... miles of smiles ahead of you!

Originally was hoping to start off on a 400/600cc....

Thought you needed module 5 to ride a 600. I still can't get my head around it and I've read it a thousand times at this stage. confused.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

What category learner permit did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

zubair wrote: »
    Thought you needed module 5 to ride a 600. I still can't get my head around it and I've read it a thousand times at this stage. confused.png

AM (moped) and A1 (up to 125cc) require modules 1,2,3,4.
    A2 (395 to 600cc) and A (over 600cc) require modules 1,3,5.

So, you need module 5 for anything over 125cc, depending on the category of learner permit you have too.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    What category learner permit did you get?

Got everything - including A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

If you did your IBT on a 125 & did modules 1,2,3,4. you can only ride a 125.

The direct access course for category 'A' is modules 1,3,5. on a category 'A' bike.

What category is marked on your IBT cert?

• Advertisement

Roadcraft wrote: »
    If you did your IBT on a 125 & did modules 1,2,3,4. you can only ride a 125.

The direct access course for category 'A' is modules 1,3,5. on a category 'A' bike.

What category is marked on your IBT cert?

Its a 125 on my Cert so for anything over I have to complete the module 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

A module 5 conversion course would get you from 'A1' to 'A2' for category 'A' you would have to do the whole course again.

As you already held a category 'A' permit you should have completed a category 'A' course modules 1,3,4. from the start and you would now have finished your IBT training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Did your instructor discuss the options with you considering you had all the categories learner permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Lurker in this forum for a while, but IBT modules 1,2,3,4 done over the last 2 days, totally brand new to bikes at 40years of age so was a daunting experience at times. Found the slow manoeuvers tricky to master and city center traffic today was tough as I was so tense on the bike. Weather was terrible today with rain and wind but still loved the country road driving :) despite the tailgaters.

Originally was hoping to start off on a 400/600cc bike but having been on a 125cc bike I think I will pick up one of those to get comfortable on the basics and so do a lot more carpark work, which I found harder than the open road, then do a progression module 5 on a larger bike.

All in all, great craic :)

I passed my theory test back in May but not done anything with it yet, might never. However, Thanks for starting this thread. Very helpful advice in here already by the posters above :)

Many Congrats to you,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement