Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spire lights not on lately?

Options
  • 26-10-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered already but those anyone know why the lights at the top of the Spire have been off the last ~2 weeks or so?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

They lied to us, the recession lives on!

Sounds dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I noticed that on Tuesday two weeks ago. They're still out? Sounds dodgy but I'd say the aviation authorities have the right people warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I noticed that on Tuesday two weeks ago. They're still out? Sounds dodgy but I'd say the aviation authorities have the right people warned.

One of my friends said something about planes and danger. Surely no plane would be even near that low to be affected?

Maybe helicopters I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A plane nearly landed on a hotel in Ballymun before...

• Advertisement

If you were to believe the government in the 1970s, the proliferation of high TV aerials to pick up BBC and ITV from Northern Ireland or Wales was considered to be an aircraft hazard, and was used as one of the reasons for the cable TV roll-out in Dublin.
    January wrote: »
    The Metro? Think I heard that before alright.

Yeah that's the one, they had to put lights on top after.

Yeah I remember that but that hotel is near the airport and is surrounded by fields to the north. No sane pilot is going to see the lit-up centre of Dublin and think it's a runway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nobody put coins in the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Karsini wrote: »
    If you were to believe the government in the 1970s, the proliferation of high TV aerials to pick up BBC and ITV from Northern Ireland or Wales was considered to be an aircraft hazard, and was used as one of the reasons for the cable TV roll-out in Dublin.

That's interesting. Are there any photographs of Dublin during this time which would show the proliferation of masts? First I heard of it.

• Advertisement

YES I F**KING NOTICED.

"Eagle-eyed councillor noticed". Seriously?

6 months is an outrageous amount of time to have the lights broken on most prominent landmark in the city. F**king Father Ted country.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

That's an urban legend.
    I'm not getting on at you but I hear this all the time and it kinda irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what did the council say when you told them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

stmol32 wrote: »
    That's an urban legend.

No it's not.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/crash-narrowly-avoided-after-pilot-mistook-hotel-for-runway-89869.html

You can find the incident report on the AAIU's website too if you're bothered.

Be irked no more.

That's an urban legend.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

No it's not.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/crash-narrowly-avoided-after-pilot-mistook-hotel-for-runway-89869.html

You can find the incident report on the AAIU's website too if you're bothered.

Be irked no more.

WOW!!!!

I had a few reasons for believing this was an urban legend, not least of which was I'd been hearing this at least once a year growing up in ballymun about the towers and it had conveniently changed to the hotel which was newly built after most of the towers were taken down.

But you can't argue with the facts so a big thank you for that.

BTW I did actually look for the report because I am just that that sort of nerd. It's only a paragraph long and it's here if anybody wants to read it:

http://193.178.1.162/AAIUviewitem.asp?id=11469&lang=ENG&loc=1280

....Now back to the Spire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

WOW!!!!

But you can't argue with the facts so a big thank you for that.

BTW I did actually look for the report because I am just that that sort of nerd. It's only a paragraph long and it's here if anybody wants to read it:

http://193.178.1.162/AAIUviewitem.asp?id=11469&lang=ENG&loc=1280

....Now back to the Spire :D

fooking hell!!!!! :-D

The plane going for landing in Ballymun definitely happened because I remember sitting in my bedroom and hearing the loudest noise I've ever heard in my life thinking a plane was about to crash land in my front garden.

Advertisement