Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle with no bolt

Options
  • 26-10-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Theres a rifle ive seen in an rfd but he has no bolt for it. Its for sale so ill assume above board.

Does anyone know the process or length of the process to get a new bolt?

Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

No expert but what make and model would help.Find the make and model and contact the company best bet!

I seen a bolt for a cz 452 on ebay so all hope isnt lost there out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Its a sako.

Is it just that easy to get one??!! Was imaging all sorts of factory certs for some reason

Heres the bolt on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-USA-Factory-Model-452-22LR-Bolt-Face-TG-/151453471649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23435493a1

Couldnt tell you exactly the paper work and legal side of things etc id say a mod would be more of help..Cass should be of alot more help than me!

Heres a site that does sako bolts worth contacting them:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/sako-bolt-body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Why not let the dealer order you a bolt?

He's licensed to import firearms components, you'll have no hassle with import duty,
    and most importantly it's not your problem if it doesn't fit when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Licencing wise there's no issue, you are authorised to have the firearm, it's component parts ( unspecified if that's spare parts, original parts or additional parts ) and ammunition for it in your possession. If the bolt would be imported from abroad the only thing you'll need is an importation licence which is a formality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

An rfd sellng a rifle without a bolt, that sets off alarm bells in my head, why Would someone sell a rife without a bolt even if you got a custom bolt made up youd hang onto the old one.
    Surely the rfd would add the cost of the bolt onto the rifle and not mention it was missing it's original bolt. ???
    Personally I wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Why would it be missing a bolt? Massive alarm bells ringing there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Thanks for the info lads.

Id be getting it from the rfd so im taking it as a legit reason! !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Keep in mind that bolts are not cheap. I was looking for a price for a bolt for a CZ550 a while ago and was given prices well north of €100 and CZ is a good bit cheaper than Sauer.

ronn wrote: »
    An rfd sellng a rifle without a bolt, that sets off alarm bells in my head, why Would someone sell a rife without a bolt even if you got a custom bolt made up youd hang onto the old one.
    Surely the rfd would add the cost of the bolt onto the rifle and not mention it was missing it's original bolt. ???
    Personally I wouldn't go near it.

Neither would i but then again i dont always keep my bolt in my rifle so could have just been miss placed and owner may not have wanted to keep the rifle coming up to the licence being expired and couldn't remember where the bolt was!

Its a tricky one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Unless it's a very high quality benchrest action, a new bolt can't just be "dropped in" - it would need to be headspaced correctly to be safe.
    Just because a replacement bolt fits & appears to function correctly doesn't mean it's safe. I'd be weary of an RFD not knowing this.
    Most RFDs here are not gunsmiths, even though most think they are :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've never heard of a rifle being sold by an rfd where there was no bolt included. Sounds very strange. I'd walk away to be honest as there are plenty of rifles for sale with bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Kramer is correct about the headspacing issue.
    I remember reading on another forum about a guy who lost the bolt of his tikka rifle.
    A new bolt cost him over 500 pounds sterling so id imagine a sako bolt would cost more again.

Advertisement