Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a "new" contract

Options
  • 26-10-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi,

my parents-in-law called up to cancel their eircom package. They were offered a new pricing for 6m to stay. However they called up on the 8th day following the call to cancel. They were informed that they would be charged €464 to cancel on the 8th day.

This would seem to be contrary to the EU Consumer Rights Directive where all contracts are subject to 14 days cooling off period. See attached from the Citizens Information Service / National Consumer Agency http://goo.gl/2uj76G

Can anyone in Eircom explain this before I call the NCA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

jolly wrote: »
    hi,

my parents-in-law called up to cancel their eircom package. They were offered a new pricing for 6m to stay. However they called up on the 8th day following the call to cancel. They were informed that they would be charged €464 to cancel on the 8th day.

This would seem to be contrary to the EU Consumer Rights Directive where all contracts are subject to 14 days cooling off period. See attached from the Citizens Information Service / National Consumer Agency http://goo.gl/2uj76G

Hi Jolly,

I am just about to post about the awful service I received in Eircom myself. I cancelled after 5 days. to find out I was still billed. Rang up to look for refund and was told I'm still active. I explained I wasn't then asked to be put through to cancellations to deal with it. At which point the phone was hung up on me. When I rang back I explained what happened and I need to cancel. I had got the original person I cancelled with (after 5 days) to put a note on my account to say I was not to be charged anything. I explained this to the person who said there is no note. I explained the previous person (10 minutes earlier) had been able to see the note at which point he said I must be mistaken. Finally got through to cancellations who now want a letter cancelling my account - and I feel they will instead of refunding me - try to charge me extra for the full month due to 'late cancellation'. 
    I had moved into a new house and was willing to sign up to Eircom on a long term contract but now I wouldn't even use a phone book from them! 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

jolly wrote: »
    hi,

Hi jolly, 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having. 

There is a 14 day cooling period that applies to all residential customers. 

Would you like to PM me your details and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks

Tracey 

Advertisement