Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wood gasifier or multi fuel boiler

• 26-10-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all

I am in a dilemma and looking for advice...which boiler should I go for - wood gasifier or multifuel boiler?

There is plenty of information out there on each type of boiler and how they compare to oil/gas/backboiler, etc, but I cannot find any information comparing the two themselves ie wood gasification boiler vs multifuel/solid fuel boiler.

Is there anyone out there that may have experience in this area and could advise?

FYI I have access to plenty of firewood, and also turf. I also have plenty of storage.

I have seen a few gasifiers in operation (my brother has one) so very familiar with what is involved with running one
    Have not seen a multifuel in operation but assume they run pretty much the same
    Considering somewhere between 25kW to 32kW
    Considering leaving oil connected as a backup (should I not get around to lighting boiler for whatever reason eg away for the weekend)

Multi/soild fuel appears to be cheaper
    I may be able to purchase a pre-used gasifier. What are the negatives in doing so? What should I look out for?
    Gasifiers appear to be more efficient but only by a few %
    Multifuel boilers can take turf but is turf an efficient fuel? Also amount of ash a big negative, plus not exactly a renewable fuel source...
    Some multifuel boilers come with an automated feeder for coal/pellets (do like this option...but not essential)
    From what I can gather both are fed at a similar rate ie amount of fuel per day, number of times fed per day, number of times lit per week, etc. Is this correct?

To me the only two differences seem to be 1) initial cost and 2) efficiency (which is only a difference of a few % depending on the machine...is this enough to justify difference in price?)

I have found previous posts on boilers/gasifiers a huge help. This is a fantastic site to share ideas/opinions/advice. If anyone has anything to offer on the above I would be delighted to hear from you.

And if anyone could advise on the pros and cons of the different brands of boilers that would be great also! If that's allowed that is...apologies for asking if its not... :)

Many thanks!

Advertisement