Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5k 06/12/2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great race again by Donore, organisation is so smooth. Has to be the fastest 5k course in the country. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donore Harriers

Results to Jingle bells should be up on our site soon. They can be viewed on the championchipireland website for now.

Well done and thank you to all who took part. Congratulations to Mary Cullen and John Travers our race winners and a course record by John. Apologies for the malfunction of our finish line clock. It just didn't fire for some reason, Santa's gremlins at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Finished in 39:42 which for me is great! As long as I under 40 mins now I'm happy. :) I decided last night to just relax and enjoy the race without worrying about times or PB. I really did enjoy it, love the mug and will definitely do this again next year! Will post a longer race report on my blog this afternoon.

Didn't see any boardsies though but sure you were probably all gone by the time I finished :D

Was looking out for you but missed you. Next time we need some definite identifiers. Let's do purple hair...
    Ps great going, well done!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Was looking out for you but missed you. Next time we need some definite identifiers. Let's do purple hair...

Ps great going! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done to all at Donore for a superbly organised race today. Delighted with my mug and a shiny new PB :D

• Advertisement

Donore Harriers, thank you for an excellent race! From start to finish it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience (despite the lactic acid overflow, oxygen deprivation and general seizing up of vital organs) from start to finish. And with my shiny new PB, I will be back for more next year hoping to bring home a new one :-)
    Thanks also to all the volunteers who made the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ps great going! Well done.

Thanks! Well done to you too! Congrats on the PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks to Donore Harriers and all the volunteers for another great race yesterday and a fine spread of food afterwards although sadly no chocolate biscuit cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

My race report is up on my blog or here on my training log if you want to have a read of it:

Laughing all the way: Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5k (Race report)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks to Donore Harriers and all the volunteers for another great race yesterday and a fine spread of food afterwards although sadly no chocolate biscuit cake!

There WAS...you must've been in the wrong room ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Well done Donore, always an enjoyable experience, well run and capably stewarded. I did notice the absence of a clock at the finish, and although I was flat-out I'm sure I would have found a bit extra if I had known I was hard up against the 19 minutes. In the end I was credited with 19 dead, although Mr. Garmin, he say 18.59 - The showers were great, although rather improbably even hotter than ours up in Tallaght. And then I won a selection box at the quiz. MEHICO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

I assume you were bib 837 which is showing as 18:59 officially and 18:53 chip time so if that's you, well done.
    davedanon wrote: »
    Well done Donore, always an enjoyable experience, well run and capably stewarded. I did notice the absence of a clock at the finish, and although I was flat-out I'm sure I would have found a bit extra if I had known I was hard up against the 19 minutes. In the end I was credited with 19 dead, although Mr. Garmin, he say 18.59 - The showers were great, although rather improbably even hotter than ours up in Tallaght. And then I won a selection box at the quiz. MEHICO!!!

I assume you were bib 837 which is showing as 18:59 officially and 18:53 chip time so if that's you, well done.

No, I think I was 538. But it's a nice thought.

There WAS...you must've been in the wrong room ;)
    I saw a tantalising plate full...hidden under the bar/kitchen area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

and although I was flat-out I'm sure I would have found a bit extra if I had known I was hard up against the 19 minutes.

Shoulda coulda woulda :p, we've all been there, I thought about it after my race if only I could have got them extra 4 seconds to go sub16, I certainly gave it my all at the finish, if I could easily blame any outside influence like the lack of a clock etc etc I happily would ha, but ultimately I'll focus on what will get me them extra few seconds the next time, which is working on my training, building my mental strength, preparing better before the race etc. Onwards and upwards to the next 5k and a chance to do it again!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Shoulda coulda woulda :p, we've all been there, I thought about it after my race if only I could have got them extra 4 seconds to go sub16, I certainly gave it my all at the finish, if I could easily blame any outside influence like the lack of a clock etc etc I happily would ha, but ultimately I'll focus on what will get me them extra few seconds the next time, which is working on my training, building my mental strength, preparing better before the race etc. Onwards and upwards to the next 5k and a chance to do it again!

Was only messing. I was giving it the full gun. 16.04 is mighty running.

Was only messing. I was giving it the full gun. 16.04 is mighty running.

Ha fair enough, a friend of mine gave me a fair boll0cking for moaning about them 4 seconds after the race ha, made me cop in quick enough :p

Timmaay wrote: »

In the same boat here, ran 17.01. Actually had 16.59 on my watch but knew chip timing would probably just out me over. Thinking afterwards I thought I gave it everything but now I'm wondering could I have pushed a little more to get those two precious seconds. I think a clock at the finish line would have helped but it's no big deal, will just have to train harder and run quicker next time!.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did Catherina McKiernan race this?

I can't find her time in the spreadsheet. Almost sure she ran it.

Edit: Found it. Think her name is spelt incorrectly on the spreadsheet. Catriona. 16:57.

I couldn't have looked at my watch crossing the line if I tried, not to mind stopping it ha, got to glance at it about 2seconds afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

To throw the cat among the pigeons...

Would you count a results from this race as a proper PB? My main reason for asking is the elevation of the course. Overall there is a 9m drop in elevation, is the new course too soft?

New course?

It hasn't changed in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

mloc123 wrote: »

Would you count a results from this race as a proper PB? My main reason for asking is the elevation of the course. Overall there is a 9m drop in elevation
    The IAAF criteria for world records states that there can't be a drop of more than 1m per km (which is why Mutai's 2011 Boston Marathon time wasn't a world record). Although the IAAF doesn't include 5k road races in their world-records list.

Personally, I count it, but consider it soft. Somewhat similarly, my marathon PB is from DCM2014, but consider it to be overstated, due to the conditions on the day
    is the new course too soft?
    New?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The course a few years ago was tougher. It changed circa 2010 due to parts of the old course being too icy - it's remained as this course since. This route is actually the summer 5k route used for a couple of years I think.

Oh yes, it went down the Furry Glen, didn't it? I remember they changed it because of the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It changed circa 2010

Is that the same year they started hiding the chocolate biscuit cake?

I would actually agree that anytime run on that course to me would have to have a little asterisk beside it. I know myself that I probably wouldn't have run just as fast on a different course, maybe 10 seconds slower? But I have no issue with counting it as a PB as long as the course is the right length, just means possibly waiting until the same race again next year to break it! :pac:

pconn062 wrote: »
    I would actually agree that anytime run on that course to me would have to have a little asterisk beside it. I know myself that I probably wouldn't have run just as fast on a different course, maybe 10 seconds slower? But I have no issue with counting it as a PB as long as the course is the right length, just means possibly waiting until the same race again next year to break it! :pac:
    +1 to that but I'm definitely running with mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Would you count a results from this race as a proper PB? My main reason for asking is the elevation of the course. Overall there is a 9m drop in elevation, is the new course too soft?

Nooooooooo, I mean yes!

• Advertisement

How much of a net downhill is rathfarnham 5k? If 1m per km is considered acceptable, then would an extra 4 meters over this be really worth a full 10 seconds?

But in terms of the course being too soft, I think that's the wrong way of putting it. It's simply a case of is the course legal or not, and to test yourself to the max you want to run on the fastest possible course that is legal. A similar argument would be saying a mondo track is "softer" than a track with a normal tartan surface, both fully legal so count equally so, you obv want the faster one tho.

Advertisement