Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping soother

Options
  • 26-10-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

L is near 7 months and driving us up the wall waking at night.
    Im really considering trying to stop the soother.
    He only gets it at nap times and bedtime but can wake anything between 1 and 5 times a night and with a 2 and a half your old i just cant cope anymore.
    So just wondering what age did you go about stopping it and how did you do it. I know most people wait until they are older though. But ive heard its easier when they are younger as not as attached.
    any tips or advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

On my 1st I stopped it at 6 months and it was easy,my 2nd was an issue and only got it at bedtime and she was nearly 2 before we got her to sleep with out it,she left it out for the tooth fairy and got a packet of choc buttons in return.my 3rd had given it up by about 9 months and the 6 month old has hers.She likes it after a feed,I think it helps her reflux.
    She puts it in and takes it out herself like a game!
    My 1st was the only one that would spit it out and scream,I think if it is an issue and causing sleepless nights then maybe getting rid of it is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Yea he uses it to go asleep. Then spits it out. Gets a bottle about 9/9.30 and normally gets it fo go back asleep then wakes numerous times for it. Tonight i didnt give it to him after the bottle. He gave out (eyes were closed) for a few seconds then not a peep. But what do i do if he wakes during the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Suucee wrote: »
    Yea he uses it to go asleep. Then spits it out. Gets a bottle about 9/9.30 and normally gets it fo go back asleep then wakes numerous times for it. Tonight i didnt give it to him after the bottle. He gave out (eyes were closed) for a few seconds then not a peep. But what do i do if he wakes during the night?

Took soothers off both of mine between 7 and 9 months, first was easy, second took more work. She fell asleep fine without it but did wake, i lifted her, comforted her and put her back to bed, then it was cry it out, starting at 5 mins, 7, 10, 12 and 15. Took 3 nights.

Part of me now wishes I still had it, teething and a growth spurt mean I'm now feeding on demand at night and the sleep deprivation is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Not much help to you but we went through the same thing last year and in the end we decided not to stop the soother as I just couldn't face it. I started to put 5/6 soothers in his cot every night and shortly after he was able to grapple around in the dark himself and find one. He never gets it, or actually looks for it, during the day so I'm happy enough for him to have it at night.

So as i said he never got it after bottle and slept through until 6.20. But was like a demon this morning so had to give in.
    Giving him loads is pointless as he still cant put it in even if he finds it.
    Im not sure what to do tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Suucee wrote: »
    So as i said he never got it after bottle and slept through until 6.20. But was like a demon this morning so had to give in.
    Giving him loads is pointless as he still cant put it in even if he finds it.
    Im not sure what to do tbh

At 7 months he should be getting close now to putting it in himself. So once he can master that put it in his hand not.his mouth so that he learns to do it himself. In the meantime maybe encourage him to get the hang of putting it in his mouth himself.

My girls are 10 months and I'm not in a rush to get rid of it. I'll wait til they're at least a year as a soother is proven to reduce the incidence of sids. They only get it for naps or sleeping and the odd time for comfort if upset or unwell.

At 7 months he should be getting close now to putting it in himself. So once he can master that put it in his hand not.his mouth so that he learns to do it himself. In the meantime maybe encourage him to get the hang of putting it in his mouth himself.

My girls are 10 months and I'm not in a rush to get rid of it. I'll wait til they're at least a year as a soother is proven to reduce the incidence of sids. They only get it for naps or sleeping and the odd time for comfort if upset or unwell.

Yea he drives me up the wall . I dont understand why he cant get it in. He can pick it up no prob, guides it to his mouth but just cant put it in the right way. If it was food now he'd fairly manage it.
    We went swimming this morning and needed it afterwards and then when going for nap. so it really is only when tired and going asleep . Hopefully though if i dont give it after dream feed he might sleep better. (i wont hold my breath)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I took it away at about six months for the same reason - was exhausted, two days later the baby never looked for it again but did keep it in the press for a further two months in case it was needed back as they are definitely useful

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

We are dealing with something similar here. I can't deal with it any longer to be honest. I lost count of the amount of times he was up last night.
    He can nearly put it back in himself but I think he's just gotten used to us getting up to him now and won't settle himself. I've just started putting him down at night fully awake so I'm hoping when he settles himself then he will do the same during the night. I sat in the side if the bed crying this morning at 5. I just don't know what to do.

I lost count after our 6th time up last night so bye bye soother.

we've decided were going to have to try cry it out .

So OH got up around 6am with him . And about 8.30 it was nap time. I brought him up and sat in the chair with him in my arms but he was so wound up crying and squirming so i popped him in the cot a shhhhh'ed him and patted but it didnt really stop him so i walked out. Stood outside the room for 2 mins. Went back in shhhhed and patted (he calmed a bit) and i left. Went back in after 3 mins and repeat. Left again. Went in after another 3. Patted and shhhed and he was nearly asleep (eyes closed) . I walked out. He whimpered and then nothing.

So took 8 mins. I always said cry it out wouldnt be for us but i think its worth a try at this stage. We cant continue the way we have been.

• Advertisement

I'm just putting it out there,.. but are you sure the soother is the problem and he's not just going through a developmental leap? Everything you're saying rings bells with me but it was short lived and it was only after that I realised it was probably the 5th developmental leap. He just wanted us to be with him all the time.

I've started doing the exact same thing at night time with him as I was always rocking him to sleep and thought that might be why he was waking during the night. It's taken about 10 mins the last 2 nights so that's fine. I'll start doing the same at nap time today even though he spits it out during naps and it doesn't bother him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like the developmental leap I'd guess goo. My girl is the same age and is having a few nights of waking as well. I was putting it down to a growth spurt.

My lad is nearly 6.5 months and has been like this for a while now. He slept well a few nights after starting solids which made me think he was hungry but I don't know how if that was just a coincidence.
    Sorry suucee I'm taking over your thread.

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm just putting it out there,.. but are you sure the soother is the problem and he's not just going through a developmental leap? Everything you're saying rings bells with me but it was short lived and it was only after that I realised it was probably the 5th developmental leap. He just wanted us to be with him all the time.

I have the app on my phone . Not a leap (according to it anyway) thing is he's always been like this anyway with the odd night not waking (very rare) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

This is exactly what I think.

I know how a night can seem to go on forever if a baby's not sleeping well, but really he should be able to put his soother in by himself within the next couple of weeks, I'd imagine. Throw several of them into the cot with him at night, and he's bound to find one of them!

I find it so handy to have the soother as a comfort. They don't allow babies to have it in his creche except at nap times, so he's not reliant on having it during the day. But for example, the last couple of weeks he's been sick and miserable with an ear infection and chicken pox, so it's just nice to be able to give him that little bit of comfort.

And of course there's the SIDS thing too - and I can see how it works - my almost ten-month-old insists on sleeping on his tummy, he won't lie on his back at all (making nappy changes very difficult!) - but, if he's sleeping on his tummy sucking a soother, at least it forces him to hold his head to the side, rather than sleeping face-down into the mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Has anyone else just not used a soother at all?

Our first guy used it for a few weeks (we were trying everything as he had colic) but then we just stopped using it. Our second child is now 7 weeks but we haven't used the soother at all but she is more placid.

Just wondering if you should just avoid using a soother if at all possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Our first guy used it for a few weeks (we were trying everything as he had colic) but then we just stopped using it. Our second child is now 7 weeks but we haven't used the soother at all but she is more placid.

I used a soother on both my girls - twin one needed to be encouraged to use it and it took a few weeks, twin 2 was in NICU for a few days and was given a soother by the NICU staff. I never considered not using one. To me the benefits outweigh the negatives
    - it reduces the chances of SIDS
    - it helps with breastfeeding as it encourages latching and suck in young babies - esp preemie babies.
    - it provides comfort
    - if they are inclined to suck, they will suck their thumb if a soother isn't present. IMO it is much harder to break the habit of thumb sucking than soothers as you can't remove the temptation of the thumb!
    - one of my girls has had a few ear infections due to teething - the relief of sucking on the soother has been so beneficial to her when she was in discomfort.

I no theres benefits of a soother but tbh i think we NEED sleep.
    Myself and OH are at each others throats with tiredness. I had to get my mum up to me twice last week to help as i have a 2.5yr old too so no chance of resting.

Hes always been a bad sleeper. He wasnt too bothered with soother in the begining but we perservered as he wanted a bottle every 2 hrs. Now i regret that.

He slept for 2.5hrs this morning which he NEVER does (coincidence possibly). Then settled for next nap with much less crying and i only had to go in once.

Fingers crossed for tonight though

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My 5 month old has had a terrible 2 weeks with night wakings. I do everything "right" - he goes down awake after his bedtime routine and has a little sing and goes to sleep by himself. The only potential issue was the soother (even though he typically doesn't keep it in until he falls asleep) so I stopped giving it to him at night - it's made absolutely no difference at all so I'm just reassigned to the fact that it's a phase. I'm knackered though - hope we get back to better sleep soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cobham

I had two kids and first was an anxious clingy baby that could not be detached from me, invisible umbilical cord etc... I am ever grateful for a friend suggesting a soother which at that time was frowned on. He was three weeks old at this stage. I researched same and found no issues so went for it. When it came time for school, we discussed the matter and worked out a deal with a star chart. He was so good about it, fancy toy was bought and put out of reach and soother into a clear plastic box. He wavered on day 3 and wanted just to look at it ... never took out of its box. He got his toy after a clear run of stars, not the agreed full amount but so pleased it had worked.

Second child would NOT take a soother.... despite my best efforts grrrrr :( Just a very independent lady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Neither of my 2 ever took a soother. I tried to give them one in the early days but they just spat it out. Had no interest at all. I actually heard the opposite in regards to breastfeeding and studies have shown that for a breast fed baby it is best to only introduce a soother after bfing has already been well established as it "can" cause confusion. Both mine were breastfed. Having said that I know loads of bf babies who take a soother.

Suucee... As my 2 never took a soother I can't really give much advice to help. But what about substituting with a soft little cuddly blankie (facecloth) type thing? Would this possibly work? I have no idea. Perhaps it would give a Little comfort? I hope you get some sleep tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just spotted a new tooth here too. Any chance it's teething suucee?

Question for ye experienced mammies. How can I tell if it's teething and not just waking coz he's used to is getting up to him?? He has his bottom two teeth through and they appeared all of a sudden with no red cheeks or temp or anything. It could be teething with my little man but I don't want to be giving medicine if it's not!!

No dont think its teething. Has 4 teeth now. He is fine all day just at night .
    The problem is we give him soother he falls asleep. Drops soother wakes up. Give soother fall asleep . Drops soother wakes up etc etc
    He has no real problems going to sleep its staying asleep.

Sligo yes i gave him the silky from his slumber bear.

So today no soother since 6 am. Slept 2 very good naps (a bit of cry it out used to go to sleep). Went to bed at 7. Was quiet for about 4 mins (i sat outside door listening) then i got a txt grrrr. So he started to cry. I waited for 2 mins (now he wasnt roaring or anything) i went in. Reassured him. Rubbed his belly and shhhh'ed him. Made sure he had his silky and walked out.
    He went straight to sleep.
    So tonight will tell all anyway. But i dont think it can get much worse anyway.

Fingers crossed for you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I made a conscious decision while I was pregnant to not give my baby a soother at all. My decision was based on some things which might be too controversial to mention on this thread. To me handing a baby a soother is parent led which isn't something the child really needs but gets too dependent on, from what I've seen. One mother told me she had to put 4 soothers in the cot for when her baby wakes up at night, that sounds a bit ridiculous to me. If I literally had a euro for every time someone said to me 'does your baby take a soother', I'd be a thousandaire now. I just don't see the obsession with them. I've only met 2 others mothers who never gave any of their children a soother and luckily they would have a similar parenting style to me which made me think I made the right decision.

I was lucky too as my child started to sleep through the night from around 2 months but I'm pretty sure if I had introduced a soother, this wouldn't have happened. Anyway, my point is you can get away with not giving your child a soother for sure.

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    I was lucky too as my child starting to sleep through the night from around 2 months but I'm pretty sure if I had introduced a soother, this wouldn't have happened.

To be fair you don't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

And my son has slept through the night from a similar age, and he always uses a soother. He often loses it during the night, it doesn't wake him up when he loses it, we don't bother putting more than one into the cot.

Some babies are just better sleepers than others - I don't really agree with your idea of you taking the credit for it because of your parenting choices. It sounds as though, like me, you were just lucky to have a good sleeper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

yellow hen wrote: »
    To be fair you don't know that.

Yes I do. I didn't create bad habits with her. I kept a very strict bedtime routine which was parent lead at that age, not baby led. Some parents are their own worse enemies and create bad habits too young.

Advertisement