Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping soother

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭fire and ice

sorry can't quote post but this is in reply to Sweet Rose.

your post comes across as condescending, as you pointed out different people have different styles of parenting. The op was looking for advice not to be questioned on her parenting skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

sorry can't quote post but this is in reply to Sweet Rose.

your post comes across as condescending, as you pointed out different people have different styles of parenting. The op was looking for advice not to be questioned on her parenting skills.

I'm just giving my experience. I answered another poster's question about can you get away with not giving a baby a soother at all and yes you can from my experience.

Like I said, I have my own opinions about soothers. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son didn't sleep through until 6.5 months, this had nothing to do with taking a soother though. Like a previous poster said if he lost his soother at night it didn't wake him, he'd just wake for a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    Yes I do. I didn't create bad habits with her. I kept a very strict bedtime routine which was parent lead at that age, not baby led. Some parents are their own worse enemies and create bad habits too young.

Oh honestly, you're dreaming if you really believe that 'parent-led' choices create the perfect baby routine. I did not chose to undertake a parent-led routine ergo I created bad habits for my child? Really???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Suucee wrote: »
    No dont think its teething. Has 4 teeth now. He is fine all day just at night .
    The problem is we give him soother he falls asleep. Drops soother wakes up. Give soother fall asleep . Drops soother wakes up etc etc
    He has no real problems going to sleep its staying asleep.

Sligo yes i gave him the silky from his slumber bear.

So today no soother since 6 am. Slept 2 very good naps (a bit of cry it out used to go to sleep). Went to bed at 7. Was quiet for about 4 mins (i sat outside door listening) then i got a txt grrrr. So he started to cry. I waited for 2 mins (now he wasnt roaring or anything) i went in. Reassured him. Rubbed his belly and shhhh'ed him. Made sure he had his silky and walked out.
    He went straight to sleep.
    So tonight will tell all anyway. But i dont think it can get much worse anyway.

Suucee, this is exactly our story, all her waking was down to loosing the soother, she could put it back in but never did at night. We're down to waking once a night for a quick feed and then back to sleep

Once we had 4 weeks of no soother I threw them all out, but not before my toddler found them and offered them to my baby, who hadn't a clue what they were, that's how quickly at this age they get over it. I just thought it was much better than waiting to have an argument about it with a tantruming toddler! Hope tonight goes well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Yes I do. I didn't create bad habits with her. I kept a very strict bedtime routine which was parent lead at that age, not baby led. Some parents are their own worse enemies and create bad habits too young.

And another parent who doesn't have a strict bedtime routine and does give a soother could also have a baby who sleeps through the night. Sometimes it's just the way the baby is!
    I had major surgery 5 weeks post partum, ended up away from home because I couldn't look after my child myself, had multiple people looking after her at times, had no particular routine and yet she has slept for 9 hours each night since 8 weeks. We were just very lucky that she is a good sleeper. And I do give a soother at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Lol. My 2 never took a soother. Neither of them slept through the night from only a few weeks old. Many people tell me that is because they were breastfed.... Is that my bad parenting choice?? Lol lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Oh I'm always getting myself into trouble!

I didn't mean creating bad habits with just the soothers. I meant other things. I was just giving my experience of not giving a soother at all. I already know I'm in the minority on that so I thought I'd give my experience.

I'm sorry original OP, I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh I'm always getting myself into trouble!

I didn't mean creating bad habits with just the soothers. I meant other things. I was just giving my experience of not giving a soother at all. I already know I'm in the minority on that so I thought I'd give my experience.

I'm sorry original OP, I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

You didnt make me feel bad. No 1 slept through from 4 weeks. Had a soother occasionally but not bothered with it (thumb sucker). Now at 2.5 still sleeps 12 hrs a night and 1.5 during the day. I done not a thing different this time. Except he took to the soother. But even before he took the soother he was a bad sleeper but that was more to do with the fact he was always starving.

Anyway i will update in the morning. Went to bed early expecting a bad night. Nothing YET from him but toddler just woke to do "wee wee:"
    typical

So he woke once last night ONCE. Compared to over 6 times tge night before.
    I went in shhhed him and he went back asleep until 6.30

Naps been good today too but for past 2 days he gets whingey approx 5 pm . Hoping this will pass.

Bed tonight no soother. Whimpered a lil but we didnt need to even go in. Wasnt crying. Asleep in less than 5 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

How did night 2 go??

deh983 wrote: »
    How did night 2 go??

He woke once. OH tried settle him was disaster so i got up. Back in bed half hr after he woke and slept until 7.45 (miracle)
    Laat night he didnt wake. Not a peep until alarm went off this morning (oh set alarm as hadnt the night befors and was nearly late for work)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

He woke once. OH tried settle him was disaster so i got up. Back in bed half hr after he woke and slept until 7.45 (miracle)
    Laat night he didnt wake. Not a peep until alarm went off this morning (oh set alarm as hadnt the night befors and was nearly late for work)

That's fantastic, fingers crossed this is the new routine

Brilliant!!! I'm tempted to do the same even though the past 2 nights have been his best after letting him settle himself.

Fingers crossed for you that it continues!!!

Days are hard though. He is still looking for it at times and i very nearly caved yesterday. I even sterilised and brought a soother with me today. But busy day today and alot more distracted so happier.
    Nap times can be a bit tougher too but think i still need to perservere.
    Ive been very very close to caving though.

We were up numerous times again last night. I can't figure this lad out at all !!!

Is he still getting long naps or is the settling taking away from the naps if you know what I mean??

Suucee how are things going for ye now?? Did u get to the bottom of it?? We are still up numerous times a night with this lad :(

deh983 wrote: »
    Suucee how are things going for ye now?? Did u get to the bottom of it?? We are still up numerous times a night with this lad :(

We gave him back the soother as naps were difficult and needed in the car
    he is sleeping very well .
    We moved him in with his sistee and seems to have worked.
    He has been in his own room a long time as we werw disturbing him abd vice versa.
    We are very regimental and seems to be paying iff.

We gave him back the soother as naps were difficult and needed in the car
    he is sleeping very well .
    We moved him in with his sistee and seems to have worked.
    He has been in his own room a long time as we werw disturbing him abd vice versa.
    We are very regimental and seems to be paying iff.

I think we will have to move him out of ours and see does it help. He literally just wakes only for us to soothe him and he's straight back asleep again. Sometimes doesn't even want the soother.

Thanks for the reply and glad to head you are getting some sleep :)

best of luck. it gets really hard when they are waking numerous times a night . hope you find something that helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement