Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help diagnose my connection problem

Options
  • 26-10-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Fairly recent setup where my NAS and Samsung Smart TV are both connected to the router by Cat 5e.
    Twice last week, I was disconnected when watching a film stored on the NAS. I could not find the NAS as a source on the TV but it came back later on.
    It happened again this evening when watching a different film.
    I disconnected the Cat 5e cable and connected the TV wirelessly. I was then able to find the film on the NAS and continue watching.
    Could there be something intermittent happening to the connection between the NAS and the TV?
    Is there any test I can carry out to check ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Our samsung series 5 does the exact same. Checked the cabling and it was perfect. TV's NIC is dodgy as hell.

Bought a chromecast. 100x better. Go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

ED E wrote: »
    Our samsung series 5 does the exact same. Checked the cabling and it was perfect. TV's NIC is dodgy as hell.

Bought a chromecast. 100x better. Go with that.

Is there any way I can show that the TV is faulty as it is still under warranty?
    Found that I had to connect TV by cable even though the router was only in the room above. If I can find a spare router, I might sway it out and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

ED E, may I ask what app you use with the Chromecast. I have one but have not used it very much. I also have a Synology Nas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a Synology NAS and the DS Video and DS Audio apps from Synology both work with Chromecast, at least the Android versions do, no idea about IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

joebre wrote: »
    Is there any way I can show that the TV is faulty as it is still under warranty?
    Found that I had to connect TV by cable even though the router was only in the room above. If I can find a spare router, I might sway it out and check.

Youd have to probably pursue it a fair bit with them, but at best they'll just replace it with a unit that may have the same problem.

Run a laptop on the same link doing constant pings for 8hrs and show no loss, then try and play several hours of content and record the disconnects. Might be enough.
    joebre wrote: »
    ED E, may I ask what app you use with the Chromecast. I have one but have not used it very much. I also have a Synology Nas.

Plex. Plex plex plex. No beating it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement