Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas Parade

Options
  • 26-10-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Took part and it was great fun, but the drawback was not getting to see everything! :) The audience seemed to be having fun and great turnout.
    Anyone see it/get pics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

It was great...well done :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I didn't see it but noticed Darachphotography facebook has absolutely fantastic photos. They're worth a look. Almost as good as being there.

https://www.facebook.com/darachphotography/photos/a.777842448924683.1073742112.201292916579642/777842452258016/?type=1&theater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Why was it so poorly advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Lapin wrote: »
    Was it? It seemed well attended. There were definitely more people than last year coming from the Dyke Road car park direction to Woodquay. People I spoke to coming from other directions said it was busy elsewhere too.

I saw notices about it in the local papers and on my Twitter and Facebook feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Lapin wrote: »

Yeah, I did see it in papers, and a few signs around the town. My social media was very heavy with it in advance, but that's a personal thing.
    It was a great crowd by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is the second (Halloween) year now, hopefully a new tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

biko wrote: »
    This is the second (Halloween) year now, hopefully a new tradition.

I really hope so!! Was a highlight on my weekend:)

Security guy said attendance was 3 times more than last year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm sorry I missed it now :(.

First I heard about it was on the 9 o'clock news last night and I walk most of the route it took twice a day.

Note to self - Pay more attention to whats happening around town and read more than the sports page in the local rags. :o

Hopefully it will be on again next year and well done to all involved. It looked brilliant on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Same as - Didn't hear a word about it until it was over. I think newspaper-focused advertising is a bit silly these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Same as - Didn't hear a word about it until it was over. I think newspaper-focused advertising is a bit silly these days.

Was all over facebook, depending on who you follow. Galway advertiser page is one of many that are good to flag these things. Was prob on their twitter. Also all over local radio past week. Where else you want it? Personal invitation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If anyone connected with Macnas reads this please know you can advertise in this forum at any time. The free service you provide to the city is invaluable, both as entertainment and bringing tourists and local crowds to Galway City. Not to mention the joy and the excitement for the kids.
    Thank you!

- this is for Macnas only -

kippy wrote: »
    Was all over facebook, depending on who you follow.

"depending on who you follow" sounds an awful lot like "we didn't advertise properly"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

"depending on who you follow" sounds an awful lot like "we didn't advertise properly"

No it doesn't.

It was all over social media, on the radio, in the newspapers on posters and on traffic notices tied to lampposts.
    In terms of social media it was on all the arts pages several times, as well as loads of the 'whats on' pages.
    I don't know about telly, but that's the only other way I can think of?
    (Boards feels like the centre of the universe, but isn't always! ;) )
    Aside from that, so many people were volunteering, that it was also word of mouth.

inisboffin wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

It was all over social media, on the radio, in the newspapers on posters and on traffic notices tied to lampposts.
    In terms of social media it was on all the arts pages several times, as well as loads of the 'whats on' pages.
    I don't know about telly, but that's the only other way I can think of?
    (Boards feels like the centre of the universe, but isn't always! ;) )
    Aside from that, so many people were volunteering, that it was also word of mouth.

Well, you've already got at least 2 people on this forum saying they heard nothing about it. I highly doubt we're the only two that didn't either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well, you've already got at least 2 people on this forum saying they heard nothing about it. I highly doubt we're the only two that didn't either :p

Allow me to introduce the Galway Advertiser, a very popular local newspaper which is guaranteed to have information about significant local events.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway

There's an on-line edition, even, you just have to give them an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Kinda weird. A certain business owner on Cross Street didn't know about it even though there was a poster on the pole outside his window for at least two weeks.
    In fairness, the colour of the posters don't really stand out and the fact that the 'Latin Quarter' are trying to make two weekends out of Halloween doesn't really help.
    Sunday was the quietest bank holiday Sunday night I've seen in a long time. Everybody just seemed to disappear once the parade finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah no.
    If you didnt follow some of the local papers online (like the advertiser etc) then you'd see less of it.
    It was discussed on local radio as well

How exactly do you want these, essentially low funded, mostly voluntary events, to advertise? With major spend on national advertising campaigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kinda weird. A certain business owner on Cross Street didn't know about it even though there was a poster on the pole outside his window for at least two weeks.

'Cmon now .. I know Ireland has an issue with illiteracy, but it's beyond a joke if city centre business owners are suffering. Maybe tell him about these lads: http://www.gabes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We were right near the corner on Eglinton hearing that terrible saxophone screeching for ages and then finally that huge troll turned the corner. Scared the ****e out of the kids! Three different performers focused in on them which didn't help. Eventually the older one settled down and got in to it but a part of me wished they'd warmed up with some of the tamer costumes first. Just a common sense thing if you have young kids, but sure can't make everything about them I suppose.

That troll was absolutely incredible and the whole parade was great. I haven't been to a Macnas parade in years as they'd gotten in to the habit of doing them later at night (which excluded the kids and required babysitters for parents). A Halloween parade is great as its dark early anyhow and was plenty early for the little ones. After years of only seeing the Paddy's Day parade their little eyes were opened to a whole new world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I dunno the sight of that big troll at the front really done it for me!! Everyone jumped near me anyways when he came around the corner- it is coming up to Halloween after all :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement