Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YBIG vs the FAI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Why have the Scots only given us 5% of tickets, yet put loads up for general sales ?

because they don't want 10000 plus irish fans in one section chanting and singing all through the game.

It looks like there will be 10000 irish there anyway but we will be a little more spread out and unless you are in a home section with loads of irish standing up and chanting or singing might attract too much attention from the stewards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not really surprised the FAI have made such a balls of something that should be so simple. Clubs all across Europe operate sensible, fair ticketing systems for both home and away games, and it's far from rocket science. Anyone who has been to X% or more of the last 10 away games should get first dibs on all away tickets, maximum 2 per person. That then opens up to people in a secondary percentage range a few days later, and a third another few days after that.

When those people are looked after, similar bands should then be implemented based on home games, with a sliding scale, and 3 days of exclusivity for that band (and higher) until tickets are gone or there are remaining tickets for general sale.

The only feasible way to muck that up is by not giving a toss who actually gets tickets, or offloading more than you should to corporate partners and needing to cover your tracks by "randomizing" ticket offers, meaning that the actual amount you put on sale is essentially untrackable. The FAI is likely guilty of both of those things.

How do you fix it though? A boycott is probably the only way, but they rarely work for high demand tickets. Joey and Suzie who never go to games but fancy an excuse for a trip to Scotland to see a game at Celtic Park (which they're perfectly entitled to) aren't going to care about principles or ethics, they just want to get their tickets and enjoy their trip. Chances are they will never even know people are getting shafted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cheers lads. Got 4 of the restricted viewing ones. Might keep trying to get non restricted and sell restricted. There will be plenty of buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

actually very surprised that there is a pole like that in celtic park. those stands were only finished around 1999.

There's plenty in the upper tiers, as well as two whopper ones in the main stand. Celtic Park was redeveloped to a tight budget, hence the presence of such in the upper tiers. The main Stand is the original main stand since before time began, hence they've always been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The FAI are in the business of maximising revenues generated by the national team in order to flow that money down the levels.

What difference does it make who gets the tickets once they are sold?

In a normal business, unhappy customers would take their business elsewhere but football supporters have shown that are willing to accept pretty much anything as their loyalty demands they support the team no matter what.

So regular supporters are faced with a simple choice. Either accept this and try for tickets again or take a stand and stop going.

Complaining about it and then turning up when they are eventually lucky enough to get tickets just proves the FAI are right not to bother with all this counting up last 10 games etc.

So you go to games, that entitles you to nothing. Your ticket for the last game got you into that game, nothing else. Where do you draw the line. Should only LOI clubs get them? What about only the top players? What about only club secs and directors?
    And why wouldn't sponsors get tickets. They are effectively paying for it all anyway.

Get over yourselves. You didn't get tickets to a game and your acting like teenage girls that didn't get 1Direction tickets

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The FAI are in the business of maximising revenues generated by the national team in order to flow that money down the levels.

In a normal business, unhappy customers would take their business elsewhere but football supporters have shown that are willing to accept pretty much anything as their loyalty demands they support the team no matter what...

The attendance figures at some friendlies in recent years suggest that they are not great at the business of maximising revenues, or at least not with the long term in mind. And alienating your core support should be avoided.

As for money flowing down, a lot of it seems to stop at the top of the FAI, it doesn't flow down into areas like prize money for the L of I.

The attendance figures at some friendlies in recent years suggest that they are not great at the business of maximising revenues, or at least not with the long term in mind. And alienating your core support should be avoided.

As for money flowing down, a lot of it seems to stop at the top of the FAI, it doesn't flow down into areas like prize money for the L of I.

Yes but those attendance figures when low are largely made up of the core, long term supporters. The type that go to away matches. They are always going to be there, any review of any club/team will show a hard core support that will basically pay any price. These are nit the audience the FAI are targeting as they are already banked

The money flowing down is an entirely different issue, not one for this thread. I only mention it as that is the purpose of this. Whether it actually happens is another topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Well I got 2 tickets! Haven't been to a game since the Mark Kennedy days so very excited, especially against Scotland should be a big game.

BLOW-IN!

PLASTIC!

etc.

Enjoy the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Should only LOI clubs get them?

The reaction to this on YBIG would be marvelous! I could imagine Davy Keogh shaking his plastic blow up hammer vigorously outside Abbotstown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What about is Season Ticket holders at LoI clubs also be given priority on tickets? Wouldn't be that many of them, and would help the faltering league.

(slightly biased myself as I am one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

The reaction to this on YBIG would be marvelous! I could imagine Davy Keogh shaking his plastic blow up hammer vigorously outside Abbotstown!

That'd be a better accessory at a match than his constant disrespecting of the tricolour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

NIMAN wrote: »
    What about is Season Ticket holders at LoI clubs also be given priority on tickets? Wouldn't be that many of them, and would help the faltering league.

(slightly biased myself as I am one)

Would agree with this. Would make buying a club's season ticket even more attractive even if it was only to enter a lottery to buy tickets if oversubscribed.

I'm a season ticket holder for Both Dundalk and Ireland. Of all the times I've applied for away tickets (admittedly only for big games) only got two restricted viewing tickets for Italy in euros. Had to source all other tickets myself.

Would be nice to see Irish football supporters being rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hes a Bohs fan and goes to matches.

LOI used to get tickets when the FAI was hard pressed selling them, knocked on the head around 2006ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In a normal business, unhappy customers would take their business elsewhere but football supporters have shown that are willing to accept pretty much anything as their loyalty demands they support the team no matter what.

So regular supporters are faced with a simple choice. Either accept this and try for tickets again or take a stand and stop going.

Complaining about it and then turning up when they are eventually lucky enough to get tickets just proves the FAI are right not to bother with all this counting up last 10 games etc.

So you go to games, that entitles you to nothing. Your ticket for the last game got you into that game, nothing else. Where do you draw the line. Should only LOI clubs get them? What about only the top players? What about only club secs and directors?
    And why wouldn't sponsors get tickets. They are effectively paying for it all anyway.

Get over yourselves. You didn't get tickets to a game and your acting like teenage girls that didn't get 1Direction tickets
    Your attitude to football support is just all wrong.

It is lunacy to suggest that loyal fans shouldn't get first preference on tickets, there is barely a club/national association in the world I can think of that don't operate under this principle.

Would I love to go to this game? Yes. Do I deserve a ticket ahead of a lad who went to Russia, Georgia, Kazakhstan and the likes? God no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Attendences are so bad at Ireland games as it is and then the FAI screw over the ones who go to those games for the ones who probably couldn't have been arsed going to the Gibraltar match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Why have the Scots only given us 5% of tickets, yet put loads up for general sales ?

Because that's all the FAI will give the Scottish FA for the return fixture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

doncarlos wrote: »

Problem is, the FAI care not a jot about the LoI or those who pay to watch it every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Because that's all the FAI will give the Scottish FA for the return fixture

Supposed to have been a gentleman's agreement that each FA would give 10% of tickets to away fans but Strachan got the SFA to renege on this.
    SFA have been selling tickets for the last 2 weeks so it seems pointless now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

doncarlos wrote: »
    Would agree with this. Would make buying a club's season ticket even more attractive even if it was only to enter a lottery to buy tickets if oversubscribed.

I'm a season ticket holder for Both Dundalk and Ireland. Of all the times I've applied for away tickets (admittedly only for big games) only got two restricted viewing tickets for Italy in euros. Had to source all other tickets myself.

The theory behind this is solid but it puts those living in areas with no LoI teams at a disadvantage. Places like Castlebar and Tralee haven't a league team within an asses roar of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The theory behind this is solid but it puts those living in areas with no LoI teams at a disadvantage. Places like Castlebar and Tralee haven't a league team within an asses roar of them.

Yeah fair enough, it's not perfect but together with rewarding regular attendees would go a long way to improving the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Even though they're my club's biggest and most bitter rivals, I was delighted to hear that all Shamrock Rovers season ticket holders and members were to be looked after first when Real Madrid came to town. The amount of people whining that they couldn't get a ticket to see Ronaldo (not Real, mind you) made me see how self entitled they felt despite probably not even knowing where the stadium was. The people that are there for games against UCD and Limerick deserved to see Benzema, Casillas, Ronaldo and Dessie Baker ahead of anyone else.

Same should apply here... and that would count me out by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Anybody that is even marginally a fan of football can surely not object to the most loyal of supporters having first dibs on tickets: the ones that support Ireland through thick and thin, home and away.

Big Ireland games just bring out the worst blow ins and bandwagoners that are nowhere to be found when the country is doing poorly. Much like - as noted - the **** that were whining about Rovers and Madrid and expecting to get sorted out over rovers members and season ticket holders. just because they wanted to see Ronaldo.

Would love to see the hardcore just boycott altogether then see how the FAI like it when they come round trying to flog the less trendy games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

While yes it is a joke that ST and regular fans are not getting their allocation, to be fair there is still appears to be plenty of tickets available on Scottish FA website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

crushproof wrote: »
    While yes it is a joke that ST and regular fans are not getting their allocation, to be fair there is still appears to be plenty of tickets available on Scottish FA website.

Talk about not understanding the concept of away games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

anncoates wrote: »
    Talk about not understanding the concept of away games.

Sigh, I do. Obviously they won't be in the designated Irish section but if you're dead keen on getting to the game I'm saying that at least there's still tickets available.

anncoates wrote: »
    Would love to see the hardcore just boycott altogether then see how the FAI like it when they come round trying to flog the less trendy games.

That is exactly what is needed, but the FAI know that the diehards will not do this. Their loyalty to the team outweights all other considerations (the same as most clubs).

So the FAI will take some heat on this, the diehards will moan and complain, but will source tickets elsewhere and be at the game. They will then be at the next game as well, and the one after that....

Until football supporters take back some power by being prepared to take a stand then why would any organisation bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

Guys I got 6 tickets with restricted views today. there was plenty available.

Stand: LL
    Area: 115

Do anyone know where the irish allocation are in the stadium?

Guys I got 6 tickets with restricted views today. there was plenty available.

Stand: LL
    Area: 115

Do anyone know where the irish allocation are in the stadium?

118-120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FAI Statement...at least its something.
    "The FAI received a minimum 5% ticket allocation from the SFA for the away match in Scotland equating to 3,209 tickets. Demand for these tickets is four times higher than the number available.

"The Association regrets that the SFA has not increased this allocation to date. It is particularly disappointing that the Scottish FA is continuing to sell tickets on its website after they had told us that the match was sold out. Many of these tickets are now being taken up by Irish supporters out of desperation, a situation that could be resolved easily by providing adequate numbers of away tickets in a designated Irish section of the stadium.

"Of the tickets confirmed to date, 1,700 went to supporters’ clubs, Season Ticket holders, Club Ireland members and known away supporters. 700 went to clubs and leagues. The fulfilment of contractual obligations also meant that there were fewer tickets available to the Association to distribute directly for this match - 481 went to Abbey Travel for supporters’ travel packages as per contract (15% of allocation) as official travel partner of the Association, and 128 went to sponsors. The remaining 200 tickets are divided between players, backroom team, FAI staff and team management.

"Although many tickets were provided for known away supporters, the Association recognises that there are supporters who expected tickets and did not receive them. So far, the Association has secured an additional 150 tickets from companies in Scotland for corporate €160 seats that will be given to supporters who missed out at the general admission price of €60. The FAI regrets any situation in which supporters remain without tickets.
    "We continue to call on the SFA to provide adequate numbers of seats for Irish supporters, and in the meantime will strive to find remedies for ticketless supporters where possible."

I hope no one takes up the FAI offer of those tickets.buy them direct from SFA .The FAI shouldn't have given the SC's so many extra tickets and this whole problem would have been avoided.I'm not blaming the SC's obviously they are going to take whatever is given to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

on off the ball now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Supporters need to realise they are just customers

Yeah, if they're not happy with the service start supporting somebody else. :rolleyes:

Maybe something positive will come out of this and those who have been brown nosing JD over the years will finally see him for what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

one thing that was mentioned on the radio...

when you apply for away tickets, you have to give your travel details and the address of where you're staying. that's before you get asked for the deposit for the tickets.
    so book everything and you still may not get a ticket..

The FAI are a shambles always have been.They could easily implement a proper system but don't want to ,I presume because they don't want transparency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

is it normal for clubs who are providing people with tickets to demand Passport, Flight number and accomodation info or am I missing something here seems over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

major bill wrote: »
    is it normal for clubs who are providing people with tickets to demand Passport, Flight number and accomodation info or am I missing something here seems over the top.

On ticket emails FAI say:

"We now require you to log into your account on the portal and complete the flight and accommodation details. This is a UEFA requirement and your ticket can not be distributed until this is fully completed. "

That said, you are not asked for any evidence of hotel booking, passport number or transport tickets

Seems to be what they're suggesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

****ing FAI.

That ****ing statement where they try to look the good guys by buying corporate seats and selling them to the fans at general admission price.

Why not buy them for the corporate sponsors you clearly gave the original allocation to in the first place? Not wanting a clear and transparent system sums them right up. Shower of crooks and jobs for the lads.

**** right off.

• Advertisement

errm this applies to almost every sporting event, its perfectly norma especially when organisations like the Scottish FA only release tickets 4 weeks before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FAI Statement...at least its something.

From RTE
    Of the tickets allocated to date, 1,700 have gone to supporters' clubs, season ticket holders, Club Ireland members and known away supporters, a further 700 to clubs and leagues and 600 to sponsors and contracted travel partners, with the remaining 200 set aside for players, backroom team, FAI staff and team management.

So of the 3200 only 600 are possibly going to "suits"
    And some of that 600 are going to 'contracted travel partners' which to the amazement of some people here actually does include regular match goers that go to away games too.

I think the anger here should be towards the Scots and not the FAI

Why do you think that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

From RTE

So of the 3200 only 600 are possibly going to "suits"
    And some of that 600 are going to 'contracted travel partners' which to the amazement of some people here actually does include regular match goers that go to away games too.

How can you trust those figures from the FAI if there's no clear and transparent process?

Delaney spun some awful crap on Ray D'Arcy show this morning .

SantryRed wrote: »
    How can you trust those figures from the FAI if there's no clear and transparent process?

but what would a clear transparent process look like ?

For example they can hardly release the names if everybody who applied, plus their away match records and who was successful.

• Advertisement

For example they can hardly release the names if everybody who applied, plus their away match records and who was successful.

Obviously they aren't going to release names but not a big job to have a detailed scheme with a breakdown of tickets given out.
    The FAI said in a meeting on Tuesday they had no clue who the tickets went to once they passed them onto SC's .

SantryRed wrote: »

Because maybe I'm not a cynic 24/7 and I actually believe that most of the time the FAI are interested in catering the the needs of fans, while at the same time meeting their essential and contractual obligations to sponsors etc.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Obviously they aren't going to release names but not a big job to have a detailed scheme with a breakdown of tickets given out.
    The FAI said in a meeting on Tuesday they had no clue who the tickets went to once they passed them onto SC's .

So it's the SCs that should be taken to task then ?

So it's the SCs that should be taken to task then ?

No,why should that happen ?
    FAI should implement a proper system,the problems are because of the FAI's failures not SC's.

i guess for some, the only way to be transparent is that they count the number of people on YBIG who got tickets.

i was very pissed off with the FAI over this originally, but when you see the breakdown now, it starts to make sense a little bit.

still though, if you have 10+ away credits for the last 4 years, you should get a ticket now matter what the circumstances are. i didnt even bother applying as ive missed a good few away games in the last 2 years, but ive still been to 7 away games before that and i wasnt expecting to get anything in this.

the FAI however picked the wrong bunch of fans to piss off. most of them will get tickets though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement