Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Luxury Hotel in East end of London ?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm a writer looking for a little bit of info on London. I hope I'm not OT.

I am looking for a 'Super Luxury' hotel toward the eastern end of
    London, such as the line of Tower Bridge or even more East ?

Somewhere a very wealthy visitor from Europe might chose to stay ?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Which celebrity are you stalking? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

He's a mean one ;) but totally fictional :)

Piliger wrote: »
    He's a mean one ;) but totally fictional :)

Trent would not stay in Super Luxury hotel, he doesn't need sleep.

For what it's worth, there are no super luxury hotels in the East of London (open to correction). There are some private member clubs which could be super luxurious but I doubt it. Shoreditchhouse.com for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Not really "super luxury", but I stayed here (http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-london-tower-of-london-LONTLDI/index.html) recently for work and it was reasonably posh....nice rooftop bar with cracking views as well.

EDit wrote: »
    Not really "super luxury", but I stayed here (http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-london-tower-of-london-LONTLDI/index.html) recently for work and it was reasonably posh....nice rooftop bar with cracking views as well.

Thanks of that suggestion. I'll check it out. I have searched google and others, hence my post here. No idea why there is nothing as far 'east' as only Tower Bridge :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks of that suggestion. I'll check it out. I have searched google and others, hence my post here. No idea why there is nothing as far 'east' as only Tower Bridge :rolleyes:

Because all the money and luxury is in the West End.

I'm sure that some hotels in Canary Wharf have some mega suites (such as http://www.fourseasons.com/canarywharf/), but the hotels won't overall be super luxurious.
    Visiting magnates, heads of state, royalty, celebrities etc. all stay in the West End.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The ShangrLa which has opened at The Shard (western Europe's tallest building) will certainly rank as a super luxury hotel.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The ShangrLa which has opened at The Shard (western Europe's tallest building) will certainly rank as a super luxury hotel.

Thanks .. but it's nowhere near, or east of Tower Bridge :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's about 500m west of Tower Bridge, calling it 'nowhere near' is a bit harsh.

It's one of the most visible things from Tower Bridge and Tower Bridge is the most visible thing from many of it's restaurants and hotel rooms. It's about an 8 minute walk at most. I'll accept that it's not easy of it. The only decent hotels east of tower Bridge are the Four Seasons at Westferry Circus and the Marriott at West India Quay both a number of miles east. Neither would I regard as luxury not to mind super luxury. How they managed to get the Four Seasons into that group is a mystery to many.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's about 500m west of Tower Bridge, calling it 'nowhere near' is a bit harsh.

Maybe :D but in the context of the distance between the West end and Tower bridge it is quite a distance .... :D No offence intended. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's one of the most visible things from Tower Bridge and Tower Bridge is the most visible thing from many of it's restaurants and hotel rooms. It's about an 8 minute walk at most. I'll accept that it's not easy of it. The only decent hotels east of tower Bridge are the Four Seasons at Westferry Circus and the Marriott at West India Quay both a number of miles east. Neither would I regard as luxury not to mind super luxury. How they managed to get the Four Seasons into that group is a mystery to many.

Thanks for all the ideas Marcus ... I'll work on them and try to get around it.

Appreciate all the help guys !

Maybe :D but in the context of the distance between the West end and Tower bridge it is quite a distance .... :D No offence intended. Thanks for the suggestion.

I' sorry but that's rubbish. There is no comparison to the distance between TowerBridge and the Shard and Tower Bridge and the West End. I should know, I've spent 18 years working and/or living around Tower BRidge and now live in St James's which you would likely lump into the west end. The real world distances involved are incomparable.

Well to be fair it is only 2.3 miles from Leicester Square to Tower Bridge. So half a mile in the reverse direction would have seemed to me to have been quite a lot. Maybe it's just me.

Well to be fair it is only 2.3 miles from Leicester Square to Tower Bridge. So half a mile in the reverse direction would have seemed to me to have been quite a lot. Maybe it's just me.

If you're trying to be anyway true to life, you'd have to recognise that travelling from Tower Bridge or east thereof by cab or private car to Leicester Square could take 45 minutes in fairly normal traffic as opposed to 5-8 minutes of walking. That's a fair difference. It's not just about physical distance but the time element.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

If you're trying to be anyway true to life, you'd have to recognise that travelling from Tower Bridge or east thereof by cab or private car to Leicester Square could take 45 minutes in fairly normal traffic as opposed to 5-8 minutes of walking. That's a fair difference. It's not just about physical distance but the time element.

Now I'm confused... 5-8 minute walk from Tower Bridge to Leicester Square?? It's over two miles!

Now I'm confused... 5-8 minute walk from Tower Bridge to Leicester Square?? It's over two miles!

From the Shangri ala super late x hotel to Tower Bridge, albeit the southern approach thereto. The suggestion was that the Shard's location was more comparable with the West End than Tower Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Oh i know that. I just read your post as saying 'it takes 45 minutes to drive from Leicester Square to Tower bridge, but it's a 5-8 minute walk'

Hey guys I appreciate the info and help. I wouldn't like my comment to hurt the goodwill hereabouts. I do appreciate it - honestly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I am so confused by this thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement