Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident with uncontrolled dog.

• 27-10-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭

We were walking in a public area yesterday with our two kids 12 &6.

Area is popular with walkers and plenty of signage that dogs are to be kept on a lead at all times.

Anyway, down the path comes running a colly type dog, as it approached it ran over to the kids and started jumping in them and they were terrified. The owner was maybe 50m away calling the dog but it didn't respond and was circling the kids and jumping in them.
    I kicked some pebbles off the path at the dog which ran off up to it's owner.

However when walking past the owner gave out to me, as I was replying about the signage the damn dog ran over and nipped me on te hand and ran away.

Why in earth can't folks control their dogs. It's a regular problem for us as we walk outdoors every weekend. A friend who is a dog owner said these over excited dogs are probably locked up all week and so are uncontrollable when out.

How better can I deter a dog like this that's jumping on or running round kids??

I've asked them I just keep walking, don't react and it'll be ok but their just kids and don't like the way dogs jump in them. Hasn't helped since eldest'a friend was bitten by their own dog.

Really fed up of this problem. It's probably 20% of dog owners just don't care about the comfort if other members of the public.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Report it to the dog warden.

I don't understand people who allow their dogs to do this and not feel bad about it?? Not a nice experience for your children and I hope they are ok.

I have 3 big dogs who are not allowed off lead in public by law but even if they were, I would never allow them to be off lead and out of control annoying other people. That's just irresponsible and I would feel terrible if something like that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can't report it as were away from home, and if I don't know the owner would there he any point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What you mean you can't report it? Just get in touch with the dog warden for that area and report it to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

<snip>
    You can do whatever you want to loose dogs in your own time.
    But please do not use this forum to advise hitting dogs, nor that people place their children into a situation that can and has escalated over-eager friendliness into aggression.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks.
    I'll ring the dog warden when I'm back home, can't do any Harm anyway.

Not doing the stick thing as I'm trying to play the whole dogs thing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sounds like an over-excited, hyped-up collie who didn't mean any harm. The nipping on the hand is a typical collie thing when they are excited. It's reflexive and not intended to cause harm.

I agree with you OP, it's totally unfair to have someone impose their dog on you and your kids when their attentions were uninvited. In this situation where the dog is just being a pest and not a threat, the best things your kids can do is stand still as a stone, fold their arms and don't make eye contact with the dog. With a complete non-reaction from the kids, the dog will quickly lose interest and move away. It's the same principle we use to teach dogs not to jump up on people.

Advertisement