Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

left eye dominant right handed shooter.

Options
  • 27-10-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I shoot with both eyes open while shooting off left shoulder I was thinking of trying one of those clip on flip up eye patch was just wondering has any1 tried them and do they have a name of supplier tried USA but won't ship them because they are only 6 dollars and won't ship by themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Give Liam Walsh a ring in Irish Shooting Sports in Knocknagoshel, he'll have a solution for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I shoot with both eyes open while shooting off left shoulder I was thinking of trying one of those clip on flip up eye patch was just wondering has any1 tried them and do they have a name of supplier tried USA but won't ship them because they are only 6 dollars and won't ship by themselves.

Get a cheap sweatband and cut out a strip from a plastic milk bottle. The semi-translucent plastic is good for letting the light through but blocking the sight picture. It's cheap and cheerful and works pretty well.

If you want a pre-made one that can be flipped up, then Intershoot in NI sell a good Sauer one which I use and like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I am left eye dominant and right handed, shooting right handed weapons/firearms off my left shoulder nearly 40yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Not too bad

Very good.ive no problem shooting off left shoulder with a scope in competition just can't close my right eye while shooting a rifle off my left shoulder with iron sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I'm right handed and right dominant eye. However, I'm a bit shortsighted in the right eye and longsighted in the left.

Not really a problem until the effects of age and mild macular degeneration began to creep in, the result of which is that my left eye began to take over. Keeping the left eye closed meant my aim was true but the loss of binocular vision and the weak right eye meant I had trouble picking up the clay quickly enough.

I had some success with fitting the chopped off half of a pair of flip up sunglasses over the left eye on a pair of spectacles. This works quite well in good daylight conditions where the sunglass still allows both eyes to pick up the clay but stops the left eye taking over.

Sadly, it isn't great when the light is fading or shooting a compact setup under lights :(

Still, might be worth your trying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement