Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light fitting appears to affect luminosity of LED lamps

Options
  • 27-10-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

This is a strange one that I cannot get my head around. I have a number of different led gu10 lamps and have seen them improve in recent years. The latest which I stand by is the long life lamp company's 5w warm white with 27smd leds on it.

The trouble is if I put one in a recessed complete fitting its brightness is as it should be. But if I put in a cheap eyeball with separate cable connector, the brightness is only about a quarter of what it should be. The are no bad connections and very little draw with 5watts. So what is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i was looking at them at the brighter homes and needed sunglasses,are you referring to the sunken ones in a 5 or 6 inch frame as the reflectiveness seems to make them be much wider and brighter.would not buy warm as i like the brightest available and could see why it looks dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

greasepalm wrote: »
    i was looking at them at the brighter homes and needed sunglasses,are you referring to the sunken ones in a 5 or 6 inch frame as the reflectiveness seems to make them be much wider and brighter.would not buy warm as i like the brightest available and could see why it looks dimmer.

The warm white are great as they have a more friendly (for want of a better word) light and give off sufficient light to challenge 50w dichroics. The issue appears to be the connector but I don't know why. These appear to be the connectors causing issue, which I got in an electrical wholesalers: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gUcSoVNeL._SX300_.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I despise warm white. It's far too orange. Cool white or daylight/natural white is far nicer, crisper and brighter.

Advertisement