Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon d'Or 2014 - can anyone stop Cristiano Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Turtwig wrote: »
    Should easily be Ronaldo's.

Wonder if his World Cup performance will hurt him though?

I think it will.
    He was terrible, just awful in the world cup.
    Such a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He was a let down? What exactly were you expecting from an unfit player? Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    I think it will.
    He was terrible, just awful in the world cup.
    Such a let down.

He was poor, but hey clearly a long, long way from 100% and neither Messi nor Suarez really excelled themselves either. Messi was incredible against Nigeria, good against the Swiss, ok against Belgium, but only played well against Bosnia for 10-15 mins, was awful for 91 minutes against Iran, and invisible in the semis and the final (as well as looking like he couldn't care less in the extra time team talk). It's a shame since Mascherabo was clearly the best Argentinian player in that tournament, and there's a decent argument that Gary was their second best. Then again in terms of the Ballon d'Or it did set an interesting "give it to Messi" default worth keeping an eye on...

Suarez of course undid any good he did in it with the bite. The real standouts were Rodriguez, Robben, Miller, Neuer and to a slightly lesser extent Neymar (as well as Mascherano but he never got his dues), none of which would be in serious contention for the award this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Billy86 wrote: »
    He was poor, but hey clearly a long, long way from 100% and neither Messi nor Suarez really excelled themselves either. Messi was incredible against Nigeria, good against the Swiss, ok against Belgium, but only played well against Bosnia for 10-15 mins, was awful for 91 minutes against Iran, and invisible in the semis and the final (as well as looking like he couldn't care less in the extra time team talk). It's a shame since Mascherabo was clearly the best Argentinian player in that tournament, and there's a decent argument that Gary was their second best. Then again in terms of the Ballon d'Or it did set an interesting "give it to Messi" default worth keeping an eye on...

Suarez of course undid any good he did in it with the bite. The real standouts were Rodriguez, Robben, Miller, Neuer and to a slightly lesser extent Neymar (as well as Mascherano but he never got his dues), none of which would be in serious contention for the award this year.

You're so one sided it's unreal. Messi clearly wasn't one hundred percent either. At least with Messi it was visible. Ronaldo on the other hand seemed to be moving fine for a man with a knee injury.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

They are the 2 best players in the world though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If it doesn't go to Ronaldo it would be a huge upset, and if it doesn't go to Ronaldo or Messi then it would be a downright joke. No German should come within an arses roar of the two of them, with Ronaldo being a level above Messi for almost 2 years now. If Xavi didn't win it in 2010, then there's no way any German will win it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Fabio Cannavaro in 2006 was the last one.

Mattheus Sammer was one too, I think?

You're so one sided it's unreal. Messi clearly wasn't one hundred percent either. At least with Messi it was visible. Ronaldo on the other hand seemed to be moving fine for a man with a knee injury.
    Ronaldo was barely able to sprint at all in Portugal's games, meanwhile Messi seemed fine throughout until the minute the final whistle went in the WC final, at which point the media pretty much immediately jumped on claims he was injured throughout.

Messi had the better World Cup of the two no question, but but it wasn't a major "game changer" in the overall debate, like say Cannavaro in 2006 or Sammer in Euro 96. He had a far better team that conceded just 4 goals in 760 minutes compared. Ronaldo meanwhile played in a much tougher group, on a team who only 2 of the other 10 starters (3 tops) would start for Argentina (and one of them went off injured 20 minutes into the first game), 7 goals in 270 minutes. Basically if they swapped teams and Messi played like he did against Iran and Bosnia for the Ghana/USA games, they still wouldn't have got out of the group stages. Still doesn't mean Messi didn't have the World Cup, but there was an embarrassing media bias to try and get him crowned "The Greatest Ever" during it, like the three day long ejaculation that followed a terrible performance against Iran up until his top quality goal. In truth Mascherano was easily the better player during the WC, and like I said, arguments can even be made about Garay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

It's for the calendar year. Not just what players have done last season or players that had a good WC. Let's remember that.

1. Ronaldo. Won the CL. Has continued his goal scoring record throughout all year. 19 goals already this season is ridiculous

2. Messi. Brought barca within inches from winning a Spanish title. Dragged the argies to a WC final

3. Muller. Pivotal in Germany winning WC. Also scored 25 goals in helping Bayern to a domestic double!

Honourable mentions for Suarez, Neuer, Di Maria, Lahm, Neymar, Benzema and Robben

The Mig wrote: »
    It's for the calendar year. Not just what players have done last season or players that had a good WC. Let's remember that.

1. Ronaldo. Won the CL. Has continued his goal scoring record throughout all year. 19 goals already this season is ridiculous

2. Messi. Brought barca within inches from winning a Spanish title. Dragged the argies to a WC final

3. Muller. Pivotal in Germany winning WC. Also scored 25 goals in helping Bayern to a domestic double!

Honourable mentions for Suarez, Neuer, Di Maria, Lahm, Neymar, Benzema and Robben
    They didn't concede a single goal in the knockout stages until Gotze scored in the 113th (edit) minute of the final - that's a few minutes shy of 450mins/7 hours without conceding given it was the third game went to injury time. Mascherano and the defence dragged them there, while Messi didn't score a single goal in the knockouts (though he assisted one goal and played a role in another).

MAscherano had a great world cup, Garay also

I suppose the group stage meant fcuk all so.......

I suppose the group stage meant fcuk all so.......

In the group stages he was absolutely incredible against Nigeria, 9.5 or even 10/10 performance there. Against Bosnia he was great for 15 minutes or so, quite anonymous otherwise. Against Iran he scored a great goal to win it in the 93rd minute, after being anonymous for the whole game. Once more, against Iran.

"Dragged them out of the group stages" and "dragged them to the final" however, are two very different things, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He had Patellar Tendonitis he was well off 100% & did not sprint much during games. Messi wasn't injured at the world cup. But like some other players faded as the tournament went on because of fatigue.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    In the group stages he was absolutely incredible against Nigeria, 9.5 or even 10/10 performance there. Against Bosnia he was great for 15 minutes or so, quite anonymous otherwise. Against Iran he scored a great goal to win it in the 93rd minute, after being anonymous for the whole game. Once more, against Iran.

"Dragged them out of the group stages" and "dragged them to the final" however, are two very different things, no?
    3 match winning performances in the group. Argies only scored 2 goals in the KO stages and he was directly involved in both goals. He was their go too player in every game which is expected and on another day his shot in the final goes in and was unlucky. IMO he had a fantastic tournament but that differs to your opinion. But sure that's football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What were Ronaldo fans really expecting at the world cup? He was never going to score or play well, fit or injured. As I addressed in another thread, he doesn't have the brains, creativity, vision, passing or playmaking ability to make a poor team play well as a unit, dictate the game or the tempo, and keep them ticking over. The team was also going to be too weak to set him up with many chances so he was always going to fail. When he doesn't score, and taking into account his lack of previously mentioned attributes, he was always going to be anonymous, just like in last years Champions League final, his name was barely mentioned until he was handed a peno

Have you quit the job yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

This is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What were Ronaldo fans really expecting at the world cup? He was never going to score or play well, fit or injured. As I addressed in another thread, he doesn't have the brains, creativity, vision, passing or playmaking ability to make a poor team play well as a unit, dictate the game or the tempo, and keep them ticking over. The team was also going to be too weak to set him up with many chances so he was always going to fail. When he doesn't score, and taking into account his lack of previously mentioned attributes, he was always going to be anonymous, just like in last years Champions League final, his name was barely mentioned until he was handed a peno

Did you watch the Portugal v Sweden game that got them to the World Cup by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Oh dear god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Did you watch the Portugal v Sweden game that got them to the World Cup by any chance?

I did ye. As usual his goals covered up his poor performance in general play. That's all well and good until he can't score, like in the world cup group stages, where it is shown he lacks many key attributes. For me Messi had a very poor world cup, but even when he plays bad, he's making an effort to make something happen. You know he's playing bad because he is mentioned so often losing the ball, but at least he is getting on it and trying to make something happen, as opposed to being completely anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Um something to keep an eye on.

Ronaldo's role at Madrid this season has been much deeper at times. He could very well show excellent signs of creativity, vision playmaking etc if Ancellotti decides to keep the experiment going. It should also be noted that he didn't exactly perform these 'deeper' roles terribly. You could tell it wasn't his usual game zone but I'd certainly prefer to have in my team playing over a plethora of other players.

I do think you have a point. As things stand Messi clearly trumps him in all those categories but he is by no means terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

And people moan about people being bullied and the minority voices getting drowned out for having different opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

As usual his goals covered up his poor performance in general play.

ffs

3 match winning performances in the group. Argies only scored 2 goals in the KO stages and he was directly involved in both goals. He was their go too player in every game which is expected and on another day his shot in the final goes in and was unlucky. IMO he had a fantastic tournament but that differs to your opinion. But sure that's football!
    Well true, I do actually think he had a pretty good tournament - but I wouldn't have had him near the top, is my point. There was a lot of "if he wins best player and Argentina win the tournament he has to be the best of all time" hype before which has me more than a little suspicious he got handed the award for $$$ reasons on FIFA's part.

That an attacking unit centred around Messi (and not exactly lacking in talent otherwise) only managed to score two goals in 450 minutes isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his play in the KO stages to be honest, and that was my point - without Mascherano playing out of his skin (and Garay also) they would have been far more likely to get eliminated than if you were to remove Messi for those KO games for a different Argentinian defender.

I was on the Ham Rodriguez train all the way, personally! Won a nice little chunk on him scoring 2 goals vs. Uruguay at 17/1 also. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Di Maria top 3? Lol, funny how this became the case when he joined united.

To answer the Op. No, Ronaldo is by far the best player in the world right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Suarez not even on the 23 man shortlist lol. Ouch that's got to hurt 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He couldn't really be considered given his suspension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

MD1990 wrote: »
    He had Patellar Tendonitis he was well off 100% & did not sprint much during games. Messi wasn't injured at the world cup. But like some other players faded as the tournament went on because of fatigue.

Physically, he looked fine to me. The pace and power were there. I honestly think the injury was overstated at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lol...and liverpool fans had him in the top 3 last season. Lets see how many goals he gets this year without Norwich and Sunderland to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lol...and liverpool fans had him in the top 3 last season. Lets see how many goals he gets this year without Norwich and Sunderland to play against.

He was in the top 3 last season 2013 2014 this award is for 2014 and while he should be comfortably in the top 23 he shouldn't be under consideration or mentioned for winning this award. His purple patch Nov to march he was probably in the best form of any player. However the last 6 to 8 league games his performance levels dropped a bit and he has only played 3 or 4 games since. Ronaldo should win this hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rarnes1 wrote: »
    They are the 2 best players in the world though.

The 2 best attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

By far the stupidest post I have read in quite a while.

Easily the third, possibly second, best player in the world last season.

Most goals and assists in the league?

Clearly to do witht he suspension.

noodler wrote: »
    By far the stupidest post I have read in quite a while.

Easily the third, possibly second, best player in the world last season.

Most goals and assists in the league?

Clearly to do witht he suspension.

I think he tops the bitey league, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ronaldo to move within one of Messi and fully deserved unless Messi goes off on insane form in the next month. Neuer as an outside bet here and should make top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus, he really did a number on you lads to engender such hate even after he's gone.

He's been denied a nomination because of the suspension. Probably rightly so. In terms of performances and impact alone he would have been a shout to win it tbh.

As it is, Ronaldo should win imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

He wouldn't have been in with a chance of winning it . After that suspension for biting it was pretty much curtains for him winning it .
    If he hadn't of got suspended who knows what could have happened . Suarez for his short time at the World Cup was even brilliant .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

As well as Louie, Luka Modric can feel hard done by, been absolutely brilliant all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus, he really did a number on you lads to engender such hate even after he's gone.

He's been denied a nomination because of the suspension. Probably rightly so. In terms of performances and impact alone he would have been a shout to win it tbh.

Realistically he'd be in with a shout for third without the suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Saipanne wrote: »
    I think he tops the bitey league, too.
    Did u just have your 5th birthday? One of the worst posts Ive seen on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ronaldo has 49 goals this year. Suarez has 17. You're going to have to explain how he'd be in with a shout of winning it, bite or not. Shortlist yes, but nowhere near winning it.

I think fifa were right to exclude him. His behavior is contemptable.

I suppose Ronnie should win it. Shame to deny a German player though.

Ronaldo has 49 goals this year. Suarez has 17. You're going to have to explain how he'd be in with a shout of winning it, bite or not. Shortlist yes, but nowhere near winning it.

Is it calendar year? Seems a bit silly given since the year is nowhere near over.

31 in the 2013/2014 season for Liverpool. Dunno how many more for Uruguay.

Most assists in the Premier League.

Phenominal work rate (a cliche but everyone would recognise that in his case.

I don't think anyone was beating Ronaldo for the record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

noodler wrote: »
    Is it calendar year? Seems a bit silly given since the year is nowhere near over.

31 in the 2013/2014 season for Liverpool. Dunno how many more for Uruguay.

Most assists in the Premier League.

Phenominal work rate (a cliche but everyone would recognise that in his case.

I don't think anyone was beating Ronaldo for the record.
    I'm pretty sure it's calendar year, yep. The Portugal-Sweden playoff pretty much confirmed Ronaldo getting it last year, and that was in November.

I'm pretty sure it's calendar year, yep. The Portugal-Sweden playoff pretty much confirmed Ronaldo getting it last year, and that was in November.

From what I remember, Suarez had a pretty big impact on Uruguay qualfiying as well (maybe not as big as a hat-trick Vs Sweden I grant you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Do people really care about the Ballon d'Or anymore? should just be renamed top scorer of the calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Here would be my Top 10 players in the world for 2014

1 Ronaldo
    2 Messi
    3 Suarez
    4 Neur
    5 Robben
    6 Di Maria
    7 Lahm
    8 Muller
    9 Ibrahimovic
    10 Bale

Costa for either Di Maria or Lahm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Diego Godin can count himself hard done by.

as for Suarez, it doesn't surprise me that he's not on the list. they couldn't after the suspension really.

but without it, he'd be easily top 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement